The Missing Possible Relatives.... - Page 2
Global Justice Alliance

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Missing Possible Relatives....

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Maybe so, but I still got the impression that they were spoofing exactly that sort of show, as well as the action genre. The remark of the first director about thinking Ron was supposed to be gay made me wonder, as well. I still think that they were pretty much doing it off the cuff, with no particular plan. The way they responded to being required to do things, such as in Grande Size Me leads me in that direction as well.

If I was a better artist, one of the things I would do is a fanart of the KP characters as Legionnairres, after the series ended, at Fort Zinderneuf.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Registered User Honored Elder Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    I still think that they were pretty much doing it off the cuff, with no particular plan.
    So they left it to us to clean up the mess!
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Aunt June, I think, is divorced, mainly because she comes across as so neurotic that nobody would put up with her, and which also may account for the extreme nerdiness of her son.

That line just made me bust out in laughter - very good, jeriddian!
    I think Bonnie's family is still intact and that her father is still there, but just was never mentioned in any way.
    But wouldn't Bonnie's father have come with Mrs. R. to the ski lodge to help chaperone, then? Or could he be a traveling salesman/corporate geek who's away from home on business an awful lot? Maybe that would explain his absence, and possibly the rest of the family's dysfunctional nature, as well....
    I'm sure you're right as to why the show's creators left these characters out; but I still wish we could ask someone from the KP Krew - like Steve Loter - about them. Maybe they have a back story for each family for the writers to use as a guide in creating episodes?
    I think that so many people are so used to back stories being written for these fantasy universes (which of course was started altogether by Lord of the Rings, I would say. That really is the first one.), that it comes across as unusual when one is not done. I remember from the several chats I happened to read or actually participated in that the general tenor of the Loter and the other writers was that there was no back story ever written for the characters of the series any further than was absolutely needed, because It was felt to be an unneeded expense to Disney. Whenever someone would ask a question of that caliber, that was universally the general response that was given out by Bob, Mark, and Steve, as well as the other writers. Writing back stories to the characters therefore was never done for the KPverse.

that's one thing that seems to be missing form the series. It does not appear that the writers, directors or producers developed anything remotely like the concordances that some shows, such as Star Trek, had. I derive this, in part, from a remark one of the writers made that gave the impression that they were far more interested in getting a joke off than continuity. Just from the way they phrased some things I have a thesis that the whole "Ron and Kim were always meant to be together" thing was more fan service after being pestered on the message boards and chat rooms so much. It struck me as more exasperation than conviction (I imagine that the Roswell deal got going the same way: after being bugged by the press after a long day and late night dealing with balloon wreckage, plus trying to keep the lid on a highly classified reconnaissance project, the base commander finally just snapped and said "tell them it's a flying saucer").
    The K/R romance was never really approached until midway through Season Three with "Emotion Sickness". In a rare acknowledgement to Phil Literate, he was correct in this point. And even with ES, there was an out in that the romantic angle was a forced one due to the moodulators and was not a real one, and the only thing revealed about going down this road, so to speak, was that Ron actually seriously did think about dating Kim but would never approach it out of fear of losing the friendship they had, which was still the case at the end of the episode, but he was thinking about it nonetheless.

Kim never really considered it because she was still of the opinion that Ron was not "boyfriend material", as was made perfectly clear in StD. The K/R romance was never officially hinted at until StD, and the only reason it was done at all was because Mark And Bob thought it was the end of the series and they wanted to go out with a bang. So they did StD and ratcheted up the drama up a notch, then added the upgrade of the friendship to a romance with the kiss at the end only for that purpose, to end the series. If they had any idea at all they were going to go on to a fourth season, they never would have done the romance angle. They even remarked upon this themselves, and in Season Four, the romance caused them problems and they had to make sure they kept it minimized and in the background as much as possible so that it didn't interefere with the stories they were trying to tell. They weren't trying to ignore it either, but only used the romance to support the story where they felt it needed to do so.

As per LM, the nature of the series was such that no extraneous creation for it was needed, so if it was not going to be shown, no back story was needed.

I don't agree with that; there were a bunch of DC series on before Kim Possible premiered, that featured a boy/girl best-friend duo as their main characters who ended up falling in love by the time each series ended. It seems to me as though the KP Krew were following a story-arc precedent those other shows had already set.
    But not intentionally, I think. The nature of the boy-girl arc is to tantalize, not to consumate, as that was what kept interest in the series going. The best example of that I think is Moonlighting with Bruce Willis and Cybil Shephard. As long as the tension between them existed, the popularity of the show remained. As soon as the two characters got together, the show's popularity disappeared. Now granted, we are talking about Disney Channel shows, but KP was different. Mark and Bob did not set out to have these two characters involved as love interests. They even remarked upon that in one of the chats as I recall. I don't believe any thought was really given to that until Season Three. As to whether or not the fans of the show (the shippers) influenced them to do that in StD, that I can't say. But I truly doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    I still think that they were pretty much doing it off the cuff, with no particular plan.
    Absolutely...........leave it to the FanFic writers........:P
    "Say the Word"

Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    Or to pursue their own interpretations. I recall one of the writers saying something along the lines of "the show belongs to the fans, now" when they wrapped it up.

One thing that was kind of interesting was Steve Loter's response to a barrage of complaints, at series end, from people who were upset that their particular thing hadn't been acknowledged. He came across as "look, we were eyeball deep in fan service already, in parts of the fourth season, there's only so much we can do and tell a coherent story". It was pretty much a grace under fire moment since the complaints got pretty shrill and churlish on the part of fans who didn't get their particular fantasy acknowledged. It also seemed that the writers felt that with such an open ended conclusion, people could pretty much take it wherever they wanted it to go on their own.

The other thing that gets kind of absurd is people demanding that KP go into anime territory with more "adult" themes and violence. Seems to me that straying too far from the show, as presented, would distort it to the point where it wouldn't be the same show anymore. This is one of the reasons that I'm dubious about a continuation much beyond college. At a certain point it turns into just a knockoff of the Jetsons or Flintstones set in the KP universe.

Anyway, to get somewhat back into the general trend of the discussion: I kind of imagined Bonnie's dad as being either in job that required being gone a lot (I've had quite a few of these, myself) or kind of like the sort of 50s sitcom dad who never left his den when he was home. Since Bonnie wasn't the focus of the show, the only time we see her is when she and Kim are doing something, so there was no need for a lot of details about her home life.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Registered User Senior Member cpneb's Avatar
    lunchmeat, et. al.:

Read this thread and had a good laugh.

Why?

The question "Where is Joss' mom, Slim's wife?" was one of the two questions that led me to the creation of the JadeKimVerse, the series of arcs and stories on ff.net that I used to answer these questions. "Leave it to the fanfic writers": they did, and I have taken up the challenge. JadeKimverse will end up being over 1 million words posted across the three story arcs:
    Blue Eyes, Shining - covers the time during the show and a bit of the post-season 4 story.
    Birth, and Rebirth - covers the time from Graduation through weddings and births.
    Retribution - covers the time after the births and the final battle of Kim and Ron withe their ultimate foe from the past.

This, the DefineHellverse, and the ilyiw (if lovin' you is wrong) multiverse can all be blamed on Rocinante. His Celler series brought KP to life for me and gave me hope during a time when I had none and the courage to take up the quill, once again, after destroying the three boxes of rejection slips. I literally owe this person my life, will continue to support his writings and promote him as an example of writing that is 'done right,' and do what he did for me: support and encourage new and upcoming writers as much as possible.

Anyhow (pulling soapbox out of the room with him), that's my opinion.

...cpneb

Kind of lost me there, I very rarely read fan fiction, so I'm not familiar with any of this.

So, Don Quixote's horse is behind all this?

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Kind of lost me there, I very rarely read fan fiction, so I'm not familiar with any of this.

I believe "Rocinante," as mentioned here, is the screen name of the writer behind the "Celler" series of KP fanfic stories. He obviously took the name from "Don Quixote."
    Getting back on-topic:
    So there's a general consensus among us that Slim and June are definitely single parents, but the jury's still out on the whereabouts of Bonnie's dad due to lack of hints from the show, huh?
    OK; I can go along with that.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    I believe "Rocinante," as mentioned here, is the screen name of the writer behind the "Celler" series of KP fanfic stories. He obviously took the name from "Don Quixote."
    "Rocinante" did indeed write those stories, and his other nom de plume is "Cellarfan", which he took after the former name, and he is a GJA member BTW, though he hasn't really participated.
    "Say the Word"

Getting back on-topic:
    So there's a general consensus among us that Slim and June are definitely single parents, but the jury's still out on the whereabouts of Bonnie's dad due to lack of hints from the show, huh?
    OK; I can go along with that.

Whoa, cowboy, I thought that all the "hints" silliness was long behind us.

I figure that since they weren't required by any plot elements that they just hadn't been written by the show's writers.

I vaguely remember a mention of the Cellar series, but it's been awhile and I don't recall much of what was said.

Registered User Senior Member cpneb's Avatar

What happened to CellerFan? see below....

After exchanging emails with him the past few days, he posted this:

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/329/12831870/1/

Keep a fellow writer and KP fan in your thoughts, please and thank you.

...cpneb