General KP Thread 11: Kimper Fi, Carry On - Page 32
Global Justice Alliance

Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: General KP Thread 11: Kimper Fi, Carry On

Registered User Veteran Member NinjaNaco's Avatar

Smile

Well, given the numerous continuity issues the episode has, plus the fact that Bob and Mark said that the generally considered the holiday episodes to be "outside the continuity" (except perhaps the ones mentioned in other episodes, such as "Mother's Day" (referenced in "Steal Wheels") and "October 31st" (mentioned in "Showdown at the Crooked D"), I think one can safely exclude "The Cupid Effect" from the KP canon.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaglebub View Post
    I found it a bit disturbing when KP got hit with the love ray. Instantly she lost 100 IQ points and became a squeaky, giggling airhead. Kim became the absolute opposite of why I adore her. Basically she displayed female personality attributes which I find quite disgusting.
    Remember, the "love ray" was a brainwashing device, with effects similar to Cyrus Bortel's neural compliance chips as well as his "Moodulators." All three devices tended to make their victims behave in ways contrary to their true personalities as long as they were under the influence of said devices. As you saw in this episode, Kim snapped out of it (as did all the other ladies in the stadium) the minute Wade destroyed SSS's copy of the "love ray."
    In other words, you can take comfort in the fact that Kim was simply "not herself" at that moment; and that the effect was only temporary.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNaco View Post
    Well, given the numerous continuity issues the episode has
    Please explain. Forgive me, but it's a bold statement to say the episode should be forgotten.

Registered User Exalted Member Rob's Avatar
    You'd be hard-pressed to find a series of any longevity that doesn't have episodes that tend to be disliked/hated/despised by the fandom at large... and "The Cupid Effect" just seems to be one of those for the KP fandom. One could debate that it's the "Spock's Brain" of KP.

Maybe that's not exactly fair. I'm sure there are people out there who like the episode just fine....

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaglebub View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNaco View Post
    Well, given the numerous continuity issues the episode has
    Please explain. Forgive me, but it's a bold statement to say the episode should be forgotten.
    I don't think it should be forgotten, but there are some problems with the episode when you compare it to the others of Season Four. One of the biggest glaring mistakes is her mission clothes. The episode is supposed to be set in February (naturally) for Valentine's day. But Kim is still wearing her old mission gear, not the new outfit from "Clothes Minded". Now it is granted the "Cupid Effect" is technically the number 4 episode in terms of the original writing order for the scripts. But it was the number 8 episode that was shown. So she should not be wearing the old outfit after "Clothes Minded". She's wearing her old mission clothes in "Fashion Victim", "Big Bother", Cupid Effect", "Grande Size Me", "Mad Dogs and Aliens", "The Big Job", "Trading Faces", and "Car Alarm". She wears her new mission clothes in all the other episodes, if she wears mission clothes in them. If you take the episodes in their show order, it worked out that way.

The order of airing the episodes is:

Ill-Suited................................Battle suit only
    Car Alarm................................old mission clothes
    Trading Faces..........................old mission clothes
    The Big Job.............................old mission clothes
    Mad Dogs and Aliens.................old mission clothes
    Fashion Victim..........................old mission clothes
    Grande Size Me........................old mission clothes
    The Cupid Effect......................old mission clothes
    Big Bother...............................old mission clothes
    Clothes Minded........................old/new mission clothes
    Odds Man In...........................new mission clothes
    Mathter and Fervent................new mission clothes
    Clean Slate.............................new mission clothes
    Homecoming Upset...................new mission clothes
    Stop Team Go.........................new mission clothes
    Cap'n Drakken..........................new mission clothes
    The Mentor of Our Discontent.....new mission clothes
    Larry's Birthday........................new mission clothes
    Oh No! Yono!...........................new mission clothes
    Nursery Crimes/Chasing Rufus.....new mission clothes
    Graduation I & II......................new mission clothes

But here's a big timing problem. "Homecoming Upset" is an episode which is supposed to be about Homecoming, which is in late fall, in which Kim wears new misison clothes. In "Cupid Effect", she wears old mission clothes, but the timing for that episode is later than "Homecoming Upset" because it is set in the month of February, after "Homecoming Upset". By February she should only be wearing new mission clothes, since she was wearing them in late fall.

I think the reason this came about was that the Valentine's day episode was an early entry (the number 4 script), and they had already worked it out and started the animation on it, by the time they got around to to the "Clothes Minded" Script. Of course, they made sure the animation was switched for future episodes that hadn't already been started so that the new mission clothes were used, but I bet it was too late for "Cupid Effect" to go back and switch. The animation was probably already rendered and in the can, adn they didn't want to go back and spend a whole lot of money just to switch her mission clothes. There are some other discrepencies, but that's the big one.
    "Say the Word"

Beaglebub (as an owner of a beagle, I LOVE that name!) says:
    "Basically she displayed female personality attributes which I find quite disgusting."

Actually, she is acting quite a bit like Junior! ;-)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered User Honored Elder Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ncnu View Post
    Beaglebub (as an owner of a beagle, I LOVE that name!) says:
    "Basically she displayed female personality attributes which I find quite disgusting."

Actually, she is acting quite a bit like Junior! ;-)
    Hmmmmmmm...... What a TWEEST!

Good to see you around, ncnu!
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    But here's a big timing problem. "Homecoming Upset" is an episode which is supposed to be about Homecoming, which is in late fall, in which Kim wears new misison clothes. In "Cupid Effect", she wears old mission clothes, but the timing for that episode is later than "Homecoming Upset" because it is set in the month of February, after "Homecoming Upset". By February she should only be wearing new mission clothes, since she was wearing them in late fall.
    I just assumed that she finally located a knock-off outfit someplace, and decided to wear it occasionally. You have to imagine unusual explainations for things like that. Analizing every detail in an episode is an exercise in futility.

Registered User Veteran Member NinjaNaco's Avatar
    Well yes, there is the fact she's wearing her classic mission outfit, but that could be explained as "she eventually found a version of her old outfit and wore it on occasion," as has been noted.

More troubling (for continuity purposes) is the fact that Kim's old Kimmunicator is not only shown, but is the reason Wade's at Club Banana in the first place (needs new batteries, which would make no since as Kim has been exclusively using her new Kimmunicator from "Homecoming Upset" onward).

Also, somewhere on RS.net Bob Schooley IIRC said that he and Bob generally considered the holiday episodes to be "outside the continuity," and while "October 31st" and "Mother's Day" have been referenced by other episodes, I think the "outside of continuity" rule can be applied to "Cupid Effect."

From the photos and such from the time when the episode premiered, I was hoping the episode would return to Junior's crush on Kim (from "Animal Attraction") but, alas...

So... wait... Possibly one of my favorite KP episodes (no, not Cupid Effect) might not even be canon? Say it ain't so...

Now I'm left to ponder which KP continuity I prefer, eeither the regular Kp 'verse or the holiday KP 'verse. Huh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]