Premiere Pro help? (Help!)
Global Justice Alliance

Thread: Premiere Pro help? (Help!)

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar

Premiere Pro help? (Help!)

I recently stepped up to PPro 4.1.0 from 4.0 as part of a CS4-wide upgrade. I'd had some problems with the 4.0.1 PPro upgrade (eventually requiring me to rip out CS4 entirely and reinstall), so I opened PPro after the 4.1 dust settled with some trepidation. It worked - music and video imported.

Then I realized the audio track I'd imported cut out halfway through. The problem wasn't visible from a high zoom level, and it wasn't until I zoomed in real close that the track showed an arbitrary flatline. To test, I played the same song in iTunes and it was fine, so the problem was in PPro. I chose not the save the little work I'd done (no more than import stuff), closed the program, and tried to get it to re-format the song, thinking it'd gone wonky at that step. When I tried to re-open PPro, it loaded the project, reached the empty editing screen, remained on that screen for about 10 seconds, and crashed.

I've tried opening and closing PPro several times, and that does not solve the problem. I've restarted the computer once so far. That did not solve the problem either.

Not being a computer-code expert, here's what I believe to be the relevant bits from the crash report:

<crash exception="EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION" instruction="0x6962f46a">
    <backtrace crashedThread="0">

[.....]

<binaryImage start="0x1e780000" end="0x1e788000" type="__TEXT" path="C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\Plug-ins\Common\Motion.aex"/>
    <binaryImage start="0x1e7a0000" end="0x1e7a9000" type="__TEXT" path="C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\Plug-ins\Common\Twirl.AEX"/>
    </binaryImageSet>
    </crash>
    <reproSteps>
    </reproSteps>
    </crashreport>
    I've tried asking for help on the Adobe forums, but the fix-it person seems a bit testy.

I've search the troubleshooting page for tips; there's nothing specific, but they do provide the list below. Does anyone with Adobe/PC experience know where I could find this information?

1. The codecs used in your source clips (use the FREE GSpot or MediaInfo to determine the codec)
    2. Premiere Pro
      1. Version number
      2. Installation language
      3. Updates applied
      4. Project/sequence settings

3. Operating System
      1. Name
      2. Update/patch level
      3. Installed language
      4. Display resolution and color depth.

4. CPU type and speed
    5. Amount of memory (RAM)
    6. Video card
      1. Manufacturer
      2. Model
      3. Driver version

7. Number of monitors (displays) in use
    8. Audio card
      1. Manufacturer
      2. Model
      3. Driver version

9. Each hard drive's capacity and space remaining
      1. Disk setup (partitions used, raid configuration, what is where for OS/projects/media/scratch/audio)

10. Hardware capture device
      1. Manufacturer
      2. Model
      3. Driver version number

11. Capture software
      1. Name
      2. Company
      3. Version

12. Comprehensive list of third-party plug-ins you installed.
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Which information are you lacking in the list? I know some friends who are Adobe experts in this stuff who might have some ideas.
    "Say the Word"

Um, #6, 8, 9, 10, and 11.

I'm feeling a little embarrassed; I "should know this stuff" and where to find it, but I'm discovering I'm a fairly ignorant about "The Magic Box That Does Stuff." I've never had to care about this information before...

The "Harm Millaard" guy answering my questions seems like a bit of a jerk, but I suppose he's had to put up with a lot of little n00bs.

====

The song's audio codec for this little abortive project:

mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC (Downloaded yesterday from the iTunes store)

Video codecs:

Downloaded yesterday from YouTube using YouConvertIt: FLV1 / Name: Flash/Sorenson / Audio: MPEG-2 Layer 3

A file I've got labled with a ".mov" extension: avc1 / Name: H.264 / Audio: mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC

I'd only imported two clips when I discovered the song glitch. All other CS4 applications (Photoshop, etc) seem to be working fine with this update. I opened After Effects, since I'd read people were having trouble with that, but it seems stable.

====

Other video codecs I have used successfully previously with PPro 4.0, but did not use for this test:
    XVID
    mp4v

====

Other system information:

Microsoft Windows XP
    Media Center Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 3
    Intel Core 2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86 GHz
    1.00 GB RAM
    Screen resolution: 1024x768
    Color quality: Highest (32-bit)

I've got the CS4 Master Suite and had a big update yesterday. PPro 4.0 upped to 4.1.0 and began having the problems described above. The other CS4 applications don't seem to be having problems, but I haven't tried them all.
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Registered User Full Member san's Avatar
    you can find out almost everything about #6, 8, 9, 10, and 11 in the device manager (start --> run --> compmgmt.msc)

or it might be easier if you get everest, though i'm not sure if the trial version hides some information you need. i just know that it does hide something.

in general you could try to update all of your device drivers, although i don't have much experience with the adobe products

The Crash: An Illustrated Guide

The start screen:

The select screen ("Re-Education" is chosen):

The load screen:

The work pane:

And, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Boom.

San is right, 'chutes. You can go to it also by right clicking on computer, then go to properties, then click the device manager tab. Clicking on the "display adapter" line will give you the brand and model of the video card. Clicking on its properties should give you the version number. The sound card specs will listed uner the "sound, video, and game controllers" line. Clicking on the different tabs will give you driver version, and other informtion you might need. Right clicking will give you the details on each hard drive. Just go to computer and right click each hards drive to get that info. The hardware capture device is the device you would use to capture the video, like a video camera, if that is what you used. If you imported the video file, then that may not be so important. It's more important to know the format of the file. The same is true for the capture software. If you didn't actually capture the video, but simply imported the file, then you don't have that answer either, but it would be important to know what type of file it is. However, in some cases, it does make a difference as to which device (both hardware and software) was used to actually make the video ( or audio) files, as some of them are idiosyncratic and their files may need to be handled differently than the files of other devices.

EDIT: I don't recall, but did you uninstall and reinstall Premiere Pro?
    "Say the Word"

OK, video driver:

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE Version 8.2.6.8

Under "Legacy Audio Drivers" it only says "Audio For Modern Wave Driver."

I'm not using a video camera (and the Adobe guy chewed me out for that - why????); I just imported from my external drive, like I always have. The codecs are above. I processed your S1&S2 disks through Handbrake, which generated .mp4 (I think) files, which I then made into .mov files because PPro didn't like .mp4. I ripped "So the drama" and "ASIT" from their disks using DVDShrink and made .mov files (that's the .avc1 mentioned above.)

I don't recall, but did you uninstall and reinstall Premiere Pro?
    This go around? Not yet.

I had the exact same problem last month when I tried to update to 4.0.1. Only that time, I was in the middle of making my "Up High" video, which caused a lot more stress & angst to get it fixed. Since I'd inadvertantly erased all my system restore points, I basically backed up the project to my EHD, uninstalled CS4, ran Revo Uninstaller, and re-installed CS4.

Thankfully, I have restore points this go around and I'm not in the middle of a project, so if I can't fix it, I'll just go back to 4.0 settings (hopefully).

Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    OK, video driver:

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE Version 8.2.6.8

Under "Legacy Audio Drivers" it only says "Audio For Modern Wave Driver."

I'm not using a video camera (and the Adobe guy chewed me out for that - why????); I just imported from my external drive, like I always have. The codecs are above. I processed your S1&S2 disks through Handbrake, which generated .mp4 (I think) files, which I then made into .mov files because PPro didn't like .mp4. I ripped "So the drama" and "ASIT" from their disks using DVDShrink and made .mov files (that's the .avc1 mentioned above.)

I don't recall, but did you uninstall and reinstall Premiere Pro?
    This go around? Not yet.

I had the exact same problem last month when I tried to update to 4.0.1. Only that time, I was in the middle of making my "Up High" video, which caused a lot more stress & angst to get it fixed. Since I'd inadvertantly erased all my system restore points, I basically backed up the project to my EHD, uninstalled CS4, ran Revo Uninstaller, and re-installed CS4.

Thankfully, I have restore points this go around and I'm not in the middle of a project, so if I can't fix it, I'll just go back to 4.0 settings (hopefully).
    The Adobe guy probably was P-Oed because now he doesn't know what specific hardware and capture software created the file. Neither do you. This can make a difference in how it's seen by the Premiere program and as to what codecs should be used. It'll be trial and error now to figure it out, although it shouldn't be a problem. But I assure I have certain friends that run into this stuff quite a lot. It could be that the programming of the upgrade just doesn't like the old way you processed the files, and may have tightened the restrictions on how they should be processed. Do you have to have the upgrade? If not, try reverting back ot the older version and see if it will work that way as before. You can always reinstall the upgrade again later.
    "Say the Word"

I got the sucker to work again, mostly because I uninstalled CS4 and then re-installed. Meh.

Anyway, there's something a little less dire that I'd like some help with:

I wish Premiere Pro had a few of the same editing controls as Photoshop. I'd like to remove a nice, simple square from a clip, but there's no way chroma key could do it; the scene's too complex.

Here's a pictorial guide of what I want to do:

Any suggestions?

I don't think that Premiere was designed to work that way. You may have to open up Photoshop along with it to specifically do that task, and then import the image into Premiere. But I'll admit I"m not an expert.
    "Say the Word"