Regarding Martin Smarty....
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regarding Martin Smarty....

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar

Regarding Martin Smarty....

At work today, I got to thinking about Martin Smarty, the founder of the Smarty-Mart store chain. At one point in the episode "The Mentor of Our Discontent," he mentions to the disguised Shego that he's a single father. That made me wonder: is he widowed or just divorced from Arty's mother? After pondering the question for a few minutes, I concluded that he must be widowed. I base my opinion on a couple of things:
    1) The reason Mr. Smarty hires Ron to be a life coach for Arty is because Martin's having difficulty getting Arty to listen to him - Arty's being sullen, defiant, disrespectful, etc; and Martin can't effectively communicate with the boy. I feel this is because Martin's trying to raise Arty on his own, and run a global corporate empire at the same time. While he may be a successful businessman, parenthood has him stumped and he has neither a wife or ex-wife to help him shoulder that particular burden. If Martin were divorced, he'd be sharing custody of Arty with the ex; and he wouldn't be as perplexed about fatherhood as he appears to be.
    2) When Arty walks in on Martin and Shego snuggling on the couch at the episode's end, he greets them both by saying, "Hi, Dad. Hi, new mom." If his mother were alive, Arty would hardly greet the woman his father's courting by calling her that. He'd either address her by her name, or say something like, "Hi, Dad's new girlfriend."
    So those are the reasons I think Martin Smarty is widowed. What do you all think?
    The floor is now open for debate....

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    At work today, I got to thinking about Martin Smarty, the founder of the Smarty-Mart store chain. At one point in the episode "The Mentor of Our Discontent," he mentions to the disguised Shego that he's a single father. That made me wonder: is he widowed or just divorced from Arty's mother? After pondering the question for a few minutes, I concluded that he must be widowed. I base my opinion on a couple of things:
    1) The reason Mr. Smarty hires Ron to be a life coach for Arty is because Martin's having difficulty getting Arty to listen to him - Arty's being sullen, defiant, disrespectful, etc; and Martin can't effectively communicate with the boy. I feel this is because Martin's trying to raise Arty on his own, and run a global corporate empire at the same time. While he may be a successful businessman, parenthood has him stumped and he has neither a wife or ex-wife to help him shoulder that particular burden. If Martin were divorced, he'd be sharing custody of Arty with the ex; and he wouldn't be as perplexed about fatherhood as he appears to be.
    2) When Arty walks in on Martin and Shego snuggling on the couch at the episode's end, he greets them both by saying, "Hi, Dad. Hi, new mom." If his mother were alive, Arty would hardly greet the woman his father's courting by calling her that. He'd either address her by her name, or say something like, "Hi, Dad's new girlfriend."
    So those are the reasons I think Martin Smarty is widowed. What do you all think?
    Could be. This is Disney, after all, where widiwed parents seem to be the rule. I wouldn't rule out the "divorced" option, though. Ex-wife could be just plain not interested in the kid, (it happens ), preferring to live the high life with her settlement $. As for the greeting to Shego, I took that as Arty deliberately sabotaging the relationship, wanting his dad to himself.

Registered User Senior Member MrDrP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    As for the greeting to Shego, I took that as Arty deliberately sabotaging the relationship, wanting his dad to himself.
    A decision he may regret. Now that Shego's out of the picture, Martin could wind up with Betty Director (can we say 'discipline'?) or, even more bizarre ... Aunt June!

DNAmy's still available, and would gladly add wings to those otters, too.

Registered User Exalted Member kyojikasshu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smithers View Post
    DNAmy's still available, and would gladly add wings to those otters, too.
    Whoa! I just had a shudder on that one... kind of like Drakken when he was reviewing potential temporary sidekicks in "Sick Day" and came across Amy's profile...

Could be. This is Disney, after all, where widowed parents seem to be the rule. I wouldn't rule out the "divorced" option, though. Ex-wife could be just plain not interested in the kid, (it happens ), preferring to live the high life with her settlement $. As for the greeting to Shego, I took that as Arty deliberately sabotaging the relationship, wanting his dad to himself.
    Good points there, campy. Hadn't thought about the mom not wanting anything to do with the kid, though. And you could be right about Arty wanting to scare Shego off with the "Hi, new mom" greeting.
    It's just that I get the feeling from the dialog in this episode that Martin's widowed - I can't explain it; that's how it seems to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDrP View Post
    As for the greeting to Shego, I took that as Arty deliberately sabotaging the relationship, wanting his dad to himself.
    A decision he may regret. Now that Shego's out of the picture, Martin could wind up with Betty Director (can we say 'discipline'?) or, even more bizarre ... Aunt June!
    I don't know about either one of them...Betty seems to be too strong-willed for Martin (he seems that way himself, IMHO); and Aunt June's too much of a wimpy neurotic for someone as confident as Mr. Smarty to put up with. Besides, look at the way June smothers and overprotects Larry, even though he's 19 years old. Arty would never put up with that. It would only make his rebellious nature even worse.

Registered User Senior Member MrDrP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDrP View Post
    I don't know about either one of them...Betty seems to be too strong-willed for Martin (he seems that way himself, IMHO); and Aunt June's too much of a wimpy neurotic for someone as confident as Mr. Smarty to put up with. Besides, look at the way June smothers and overprotects Larry, even though he's 19 years old. Arty would never put up with that. It would only make his rebellious nature even worse.
    While I could see Martin and Betty under the right circumstances, I don't see Martin and June. Ever. Hence the smiley face.

Now, if Betty and Martin don't work out, maybe should could wind up with ... Steve Barkin!

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    I see Mr. Smarty getting together with Brittina. She's rich enough that he won't worry she's after his money.

Plus, the 'ship could be called Martina.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    I see Mr. Smarty getting together with Brittina. She's rich enough that he won't worry she's after his money.

Plus, the 'ship could be called Martina.
    Oooohhhhhh...................So much for May-December romances.........

That really is rather unappealing, isn't it?

Oh, well............
    "Say the Word"