Thoughts of the future of the Disney Channel
Global Justice Alliance

Thread: Thoughts of the future of the Disney Channel

Registered User Regular Member sharper1988's Avatar

Thoughts of the future of the Disney Channel

Well, it seems that DC has focused far more on live-action shows aimed at tweens than on traditional animation that gave us KP. *sighs* When will they ever learn that you can't always beat on a dead horse, even when it is twitching.

Just a couple of weeks ago, DC combined Wizards of Everly Terrace, Suite Life, and Hannah Montana in a 90-minute 3x movie crossover. I don't get it.

Why would DC even do such a thing? My guess is that they are desperate for viewers.

Also, Disney seems to be milking those same live-action shows for merchandise.

I especially point out *clears throat* at the Hannah Montana section.

And when I go to Wal-Mart sometimes for grocery shopping with my mom, it seems to have transformed into the Montana-Mart.

Now, imagine if that dead horse was the HM show and Disney is beating on it repeatedly with 2x4's and a lead pipe. HM is among everywhere, including video games.

Being a video gamer myself, slapping HM's logo onto an Xbox 360 game and selling it for $50 really makes me sick.

And now that the stupid show is approaching season 4, I believe that, an old saying always goes, what comes up must come down.

Even Miley is growing older as well.

Soon enough, in a matter of months or maybe a year, HM would be a thing of the past.

And this is where DC's future, and my question, comes in: Should they return to their former glory days by putting back in traditional animated shows with some new ideas and possibly bringing back our favorite red-haired crimefighting cheerleader and her clumsy sidekick-boyfriend OR will DC create more live-action shows and continue its downward trend of rehashing ideas and losing viewership?
    My avatar above was created and designed by Slyrr.
    A true K/R, Canderemy, and Phinbella fan!

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    You have to understand that the medium of Children's Entertainment is ever-changing. The reason Disney went to live action is simple. In the end it's more profitable than animation. Are they going to leave their animation roots? No, I don't think so, but I do believe that they will rely less and less on it such that it will no longer be the mainstream of DC, And again the reason is simply.......economics. Live action costs more to make, thus one would think that animation would be better, but the potential profits from Live Action are much greater, and Disney has realized that.

Even with Hannah Montana, despite the fact they have made a gold mine of profit with that show from all the concerts, appearances, cross-overs, etc. (which you can't do with animation), and especially merchandising, (which is usually more lucrative with Live Action), even that show has its limits. It is now on for a fourth season, and may go to five. But I seriously doubt it will go on past that. Why? For the same reason any Disney show is limited to roughly three years. The audience keeps changing out, growing up. In addition, DC is expanding their demographic to include teenage girls, which is the target audience for Hannah Montana, increasing their viewership and thus their profits through advertisement sales and merchandising.

You have to have something new for the new kids coming up who don't want to watch what their older siblings watched, because they want something all their own. We have always argued here that Disney doesn't have a 65 episode rule, and that really is true. The limiting factor is not the number of episodes, for which 65 just happens to be the lucky number for filling three years of time, but the amount of time it takes to turn over the audience in terms of viewer appeal.... .....i.e.......3 years.

We are very lucky to have had four years of KP. It only proves the popularity of the show is well above the norm. In fact, Kim Possible debuted in 2002 and was (and still is, even after it ended in 2007) the channel's most successful animated series and the only Disney Channel animated series to air more than 65 episodes. One thinks, well, what about Little Mermaid which ran many more years of episodes. That show started very early when Disney Channel first started to expand in the early 1990's (and they ran out of storylines very, very quickly). The situation was completely different than what it was in 2002, when the competition was much stiffer and the potential for profit was greater.

This is the big problem that the people in FFF and their cronies have. They don't understand the dynamics of television broadcasting and the economics that are involved. They don't understand that this is a business, and Disney, like any other business has to do what has to do to survivie economically. The business evolves. It changes. What worked in 2002 when KP debuted doesn't work now. They are too blind and immature and think that just because they love the show so much that the world will listen to them and do want they want if they scream loud enough, like a bunch of five-year olds who are bawling because their mothers took away their dessert because they won't eat their dinner.

Can KP come back? That depends on a lot of factors. One thing is sure. If it does, it won't come back in its original form. It will take some real creativity and genius to make that happen, and it won't come from inside Disney, but from outside it. And DC will never return to what it used to be. It can't do that and survive. So you'll have to deal with it.
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    I have to agree with what jeriddian said. Economics drives Disney Channel, first and foremost. The reason "Hannah Montana" was renewed for a fourth season is because it's very popular right now (and yes, it's a big moneymaker for Disney as well). I read that this fourth season may very well be "Hannah's" last, simply because Miley Cyrus is growing up and preparing to move beyond "Hannah" by taking on more complex acting roles. In fact, she's already done work on her first non-Hannah project for Disney; I think it's a dramatic film (not sure about that). But she won't be Hannah forever. That role is just the springboard which launched Miley's career.
    As for your comments about the three-show crossover being an act of desperation on DC's part, far from it. Those three programs, "Wizards of Waverly Place," "The Suite Life on Deck," and, of course, "Hannah Montana," are DC's most popular shows right now. They did this crossover show to introduce fans of one show to the other two, if they're not already watching them. And besides, it's summer, and Disney always puts special programming on in the summer. DC did a similar crossover about a year or two ago, combining "Hannah," "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody," and one other show into a similar 90-minute adventure (the title of the third show, unfortunately, eludes me right now).
    (Edit: The other show was "That's So Raven.")
    I know you're unhappy that DC has chosen to put more live-action shows on than animated ones, but like jeriddian said, it's due to the way things have changed since 2002. Let's just be thankful we have four seasons of KP to enjoy. Most new TV shows never even make it through to the end of their first season before being cancelled.

Truth be told, I always felt that KP was a major anomaly in regards to the rest of the Disney Channel. While the vast majority of their original series are intended for a very narrow demographic (and usually winning handily in that particular demo), Kim Possible instead reached a broader audience, but didn't penetrate as deeply...this broader audience included people who were far less likely to purchase the show-related merchandise that was produced (and more likely to buy that which is being produced for other markets.) The fact that it lasted as long as it did is a major accomplishment for everyone involved.

Still, releasing the season boxsets in the U.S. seems to be a no-brainer to me, and it vexes me so that it hasn't happened...that is what should be fought for, if anything.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by garnetblack View Post
    Truth be told, I always felt that KP was a major anomaly in regards to the rest of the Disney Channel. While the vast majority of their original series are intended for a very narrow demographic (and usually winning handily in that particular demo), Kim Possible instead reached a broader audience, but didn't penetrate as deeply...this broader audience included people who were far less likely to purchase the show-related merchandise that was produced (and more likely to buy that which is being produced for other markets.) The fact that it lasted as long as it did is a major accomplishment for everyone involved.

Still, releasing the season boxsets in the U.S. seems to be a no-brainer to me, and it vexes me so that it hasn't happened...that is what should be fought for, if anything.
    it is true that KP reached a broader audience. That was also part of the design IMHO, than the other Disney shows. BUt it's original intended audience was still tween-aged girls, no matter what. We were just fortunate that they tailoered it subtly for the adults as well, mainly the parents of said target audience. That was probably intended to broaden appeal for merchandise and incraese profits in that manner. Bob and Mark have said that they did receive requests for certain changes in the program from time ot time form the merchandising departments.

Fighting for the Box Sets to be released in the US is indeed a worthy goal, although for Senior members and above, I have provided a ready alternative. However, I think there is a greater goal to work for in terms of restoring KP to her rightful place, as a true princess in the Disney pantheon, and the only really American princess of them all. This is a goal that has to be carefully thought out.
    "Say the Word"