How was your Day? Part the 12th - Page 49
Global Justice Alliance

Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast

Thread: How was your Day? Part the 12th

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    I got home at 8:30 tonight, the earliest all week. This has been one really sh***y, sh***y week. Lost six patients. I"m beat to smithereens. I'm checking the site and going back to bed. I start clinic tomorrow, but I'm off after five, and I can go home and sleep for about twelve hours straight. I'll start feeling like a human being again about Thursday.......
    Well, my homework woes just got put into perspective.
    Thanks, TWD, 'chutes. It's bad enough when I have a patient who is terminal and we know there's nothing we can do, and we watch them go helplessly. But it's really frustrating for me when I have a patient who we expected to fairly well, suddenly have a heart attack or a stroke or something and then die on us unexpectedly. That happened to two of them. But that is the nature of the work. I'll keep on going....

Good luck on the job interview, TWD. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

....and I still LOVE your new sig, 'chutes. That is one cool piece of artwork.
    "Say the Word"

Good luck TWD!

Er...mostly today I spent sleeping in and then reading Beowulf, which wasn't as bad as I thought. And then I had to write a bit about it. It still blows my mind that Old English looks like a completely different language (and sounds like it, too). Thank goodness we didn't have to read it that way, although if what my teacher says is true, some colleges might make us read it that way.
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

Registered User Exalted Member Rob's Avatar
    Well, we ended up taking my dad back to the ER last night, after his blood sugar spiked to 401.

Good thing, because we found out there was something new going on - a yeast infection. Oy. So, a couple new scripts, and it was back home for him.

It was disconcerting, though, that he was put in the same exact stall he was in when we were waiting for him to be checked in four weeks ago...

Today was largely noneventful. Typical Monday at work.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about your dad there, kyoji. Thankfully, the docs were able to help him with some prescriptions and send him back home. Here's hoping he stays stable for a long time now. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family now.

Jeriddian, 'chutes, GoTeamGirl, thanks for all the good wishes. It means a lot to me right now.
    Unfortunately, this new agency didn't have a job for me. But it is the third temp agency I've signed up with, so that increases my chances of finding a job soon.
    I was lucky to get to the interview on time today - I got to the Social Security office late this morning (11 AM), and their system of taking a number and waiting to be called got all bollixed up (they were using two different sets of numbered tickets, causing confusion for everyone there) - by the time the SocSec personnel got that all straightened up and I finally got waited on, an hour and a half had elapsed. I got out of there at about 12:35 PM; arriving home just long enough to gather what papers I needed for the interview and heading out the door again. As it was, I forgot one document and had to go back the 2 miles I'd already driven to get it, consuming about 15 minutes in the process. However, I still managed to arrive on time - I was in the elevator riding up to the temp agency's office at two minutes before two. Talk about the skin of your teeth....
    The interview went fine, though. And the young lady I talked to gave me some advice on how to improve my resume (resume writing's changed since the last time I needed one, as has the whole job market). So I learned something today that I hadn't expected to; but I can use that knowledge in my job hunt. So today was a "win-win" sitch for me after all - even if I was a bit rushed going from one appointment to another.
    BTW, my application for a replacement Social Security card was approved easily. I should be getting the card in the mail within two weeks.

Snow this morning meant two-hour delay. Which was nice, but all the teachers were rushing through lessons. Ever since we students heard about them learning "positive reinforcement" during their Professional Development Day, we've been bugging them about positively reinforcing us. My math teacher likes to make jokes about it. So far he's the only one.

Tomorrow I have school but I'm not going to be there. We have a required religion retreat. They're taking us to a retreat center to do "fun things", have an opportunity for confession (last year when they said "opportunity" they forced us to go...), and get free lunch. And pray, of course.
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    With the Big Storm (TM) closing in they gave us 4 hours paid administrative leave today. I was in the mood for chili and so went back to the store for some bell peppers, after going by for meat last night. Both proved interesting experiences. Apparently this storm heralds the return of the ice age (guess we'll have to march in formation and stockpile melons) insofar as there was a run on the grocery store. To judge from the shelves that were denuded folks in this area plan to survive the impending ragnerok on a diet of onions, eggs, spaghetti sauce, white bread and snack cakes.

It's snowing pretty steadily now with forecast accumulations of 17" tonight and an additional 9" tomorrow, I'd better go chase the mastodons and wooly rhinos off the lawn. Since last two ice ages were the Major and Little Dryas, I wonder what this one will be called, time to go feed the sabretooth.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Report cards came in today. I went up in everything except Biology. Though I did have loads of fun playing with celery in Biology the other day in lab. So it all balances out.

I got a DVD I ordered in the mail: "Doctor Who: The Complete Specials". I plan on watching all the special features this weekend, among other things.

Other than that, today was pretty normal. I had a pizza that tasted awful. It was basically pizza on garlic bread, which didn't go together as nicely as it seems like it should.

I started a temp job today! It's in downtown Go City, on the north end of the Loop; and it's supposed to last about six weeks. I'm working in the mail room of a very big law firm - they have offices all over the country - and my job entails sorting and delivering mail, as well as doing copy jobs, for the employees here in the Chicago branch.
    In order to get to work on time at 8 AM, I had to get up shortly after 5 (yuck...) and leave the house by 6. That way I'd have plenty of time to find a parking space and buy my ticket for the train ride into the city. As it was, I took an early train and found myself entering the lobby of the office building at 7:30 this morning (well, better early than late, especially on the first day of a new job).
    The people I work with are very nice; they made me feel welcome right away and showed me around the premises. They also demonstrated how they do various tasks in the mail room/copy center. As familiar as I am with mail room procedures (over ten years' experience, remember), exactly how things get done varies from firm to firm - each company has its own unique procedures, as well as its own daily schedule to meet. That's what I have to learn on this job - how these folks get things done so I can best help them accomplish their goals. Based on how well things went today, I think I've got a good start on learning their methods.
    I noticed something this morning - on the train ride in, and while walking to the office, I kept flashing back to when I last regularly commuted this way: the time I attended college in downtown Chicago, over 30 years ago. The commute resurrected a lot of memories, and I kept comparing yesterday to today. While a few of the details had changed (some buildings had been torn down & replaced by others, to give the most obvious change), the basic setting was still the same: Take the train into the city, and "go with the flow" as I joined my fellow commuters on their march into the concrete canyons to earn a living.
    Tell you this much: It's been a while since I was on my feet most of the day. And since I also had to walk between the train station and the office this morning and this evening, the soles of my feet and my knees were just killing me by the time I got home tonight! In fact, they still ache a bit even now as I type this. Well, I do need to get more exercise....
    One unexpected bonus today: When I went to buy a can of pop to have with my lunch today, I was pleasantly surprised to find it only cost me 25 cents!! Now I don't know how that company manages to sell soft drinks so cheaply without taking a loss; and frankly I don't care either. Only thing I know is, I'm saving at least $1.00 off what it normally costs in the city and I'm not going to look a gift horse like this in the mouth.
    Weird thing is, even with having to get up so early and all, I'm actually looking forward to going back there on Monday*. Who knows? Like the song says, this could be the start of something big....

(*After a nice relaxing weekend, of course....)

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Great, TWD! Glad to hear you got some good work. It would be nice if it were permanent though. Any chance of that, BTW? But you're right. I think that trek into the city will help you get you going again, get some exercise going with being on your feet, too. You'll get used to it again!

EDIT: Well, I drove into Houston again today. I'll spend another week there. Right now the project my friends are working on is nearing completion. I'll be helping them tou until I have to go back to Midland in nine days.
    "Say the Word"

Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Great, TWD! Glad to hear you got some good work. It would be nice if it were permanent though. Any chance of that, BTW? But you're right. I think that trek into the city will help you get you going again, get some exercise going with being on your feet, too. You'll get used to it again!
    Thanks, jeriddian!
    I'll get at least six weeks' work out of this assignment (I'm filling in for a regular who's off on leave, apparently). But as for this being permanent, well, I'm not counting on it. Past temp experience has shown that a job that was supposed to be long-term can be cut short without warning, so I've learned to just take it day by day. If nothing else, though, it's a chance to show my manager at the temp agency how I can handle an assignment. Building a good work reputation is the key to getting long-term and temp-to-permanent assignments.
    And I agree with you that I'll get used to doing all that walking again. I'm just out of shape from lack of exercise, that's all. Tell you the truth, I've been considering going out for a daily walk even in the midst of winter both for the exercise and a chance to clear my head (at times, I've tried to do some serious thinking on my walks. Most times I've been unsuccessful, but just letting my mind wander as I walk has proven to be equally therapeutic).