What kinds of books do you think Kim reads?
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What kinds of books do you think Kim reads?

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar

What kinds of books do you think Kim reads?

We all know Kim's a straight-A student, and she obviously reads books outside of what she's assigned in her various classes. But what do you suppose she reads? What do you folks think comprise Kim's literary tastes? The only book we know for a fact that she read was "A Brief History of Cheese," because that was the title of her overdue library book in "Overdue." Whether that was part of a class assignment or for her own personal enjoyment is still unclear, as they never addressed Kim's reason for borrowing the book in that episode. In "The Big Job" when Ron mentions having read Martin Smarty's autobiography three times, Kim responds by asking, "You read a book without it being assigned?" I got the impression from that exchange that although Kim probably reads for personal enjoyment, she knows Ron's not into reading all that much. The fact that he voluntarily read one book three times amazes her. As a reader myself, I've known people like that - my father was one of them. He never read anything outside of his plumbing stuff or his Boy Scout materials, so one day when I saw him reading a paperback copy of a book by Peter Maas titled "King of the Gypsies," my reaction was similar to Kim's.
    So I've started this thread to get your opinions on what Kim Possible reads in her leisure time. Let the discussion begin....

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Considering her reactions to Ron when he did something romantic (almost accidently) in Season Four, I daresay she would be into Romance novels at least to some degree.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Senior Member MrDrP's Avatar
    There's something endearing, and believable, about Kim reading Chick-Lit. I can also see her reading books on archaeology and ancient history.

Registered User Veteran Member NinjaNaco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDrP View Post
    There's something endearing, and believable, about Kim reading Chick-Lit.
    Let's just hope she's not a fan of the Twilight series...
    RON: You want to be my own personal brand of what?!

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    I can see Kim reading the "Twilight" series just for the lulz.

(For the geezers here, "lulz" is basically internet-speak for "sh*ts and giggles.")
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    I can see Kim reading the "Twilight" series just for the lulz.

(For the geezers here, "lulz" is basically internet-speak for "sh*ts and giggles.")
    Oh.....thanks loads..........we old geezers 'appreciate' that help........
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    *Humph* "Geezers," indeed - I'll show you a "geezer"....

Getting back on-topic:
    Romance novels, yes; I can see Kim reading those - same goes for archeology and ancient history (she is something of an explorer, after all). I'll go along with those choices.
    I can also see Kim reading books about famous women in history - Joan of Arc, Amelia Earhart, Eleanor Roosevelt, Sally Ride - just to name a few.
    She probably also reads stuff pertaining to self-defense - whatever martial arts she's proficient in, I'm sure there are books published about them.
    Not to mention anything related to her world-saving activities: First aid manuals; books covering various rescue techniques; that sort of thing.

Any other topics you can think of?

I agree with romance novels.

And maybe adventure novels. Just to compare them to her own adventures. :P
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    I bet she reads lots of cookbooks.

Registered User Regular Member Molloy's Avatar
    Importantly, there is a distinction between Chick-lit and Romance.

Chick-lit usually concern a female character and her relationships with other women. It can include a romantic element with a man, but this isn't the main focus of the book. They are usually funny, light, and have a happy ending.

Romance novels are mainly focused on a love relationship. They can be funny and light, but can also melodramatic, gothic, and even sinsiter. Importantly, a romance has a happily ever after ending--which is different from a regular happy ending.

That said, I can see Kim reading some Chick-lit on occasion to unwind, but not being so much into Romance. However, I do see her reading a wide gamut of books--from serious books on history and the sciences to Harry Potter. There was a picture on dA of Kim reading one of the HP books a few years back, and it struck me as very believable.

This might be just me, but I see Ron sneak-reading a Romance or two. (You know, for pointers and ... well, because he is a sucker for a happily ever after ending).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Freedom involves being able truly to care about other people & to sacrifice for them over and over in myriad petty, unsexy ways every day. --David Foster Wallace