The Quest for Middleton Continues....
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Quest for Middleton Continues....

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar

The Quest for Middleton Continues....

In my ongoing effort to shoehorn Middleton into the southern end of Illinois, I came across a very interesting tidbit of topography -

Regional zoom: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...938354&t=p&z=8 (Google maps link)

County zoom:

Local zoom:

I'm not sure how high the hills are in that area, but the view from bluff to the northwest looks a lot like the view from the Middleton Observatory in "Graduation."

The area I've marked "Middleton" is surrounded by a horseshoe of low mountains created by glacial action during the last ice age, and replicates, I think, the hills around KP's town. The actual towns of Elvira, Omar, and Buncombe form a tri-city area (though none of them, according to the sat dat, could be classified as "towns"). I don't know why commercial activity didn't spring up in this area, but for the fictional town of Middleton, the nearby confluence of I-57 and I-24 would provide major access arteries for commerce and space-center material.

To the north of the area is a state park with a lake, which could represent Wannaweep.... Creeplily, the entrance to the national park area is named "Happy Hollows." Srsly. If that state park is too close to "Middleton," there is a large, grotto-riddled lake to the northwest ominously named "Devil's Kitchen." In SOS, the ever bull-headed Mr. Barkin could have decided to take a "shortcut" past the lakes on the way to a cheer competition in Carbondale and gotten the tires blown by Gill. Farther south are the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers, which could have had, theoretically, maybe, if you stretch it, riverine pirates.

Thoughts?
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Interesting thoughts there, 'chutes. Problem is, I couldn't expand those small maps you posted so I could read all those areas marked in red for myself. They just wouldn't zoom out into a larger size. Could you perhaps post a larger-sized version of those maps for us? Please and thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Interesting thoughts there, 'chutes. Problem is, I couldn't expand those small maps you posted so I could read all those areas marked in red for myself. They just wouldn't zoom out into a larger size. Could you perhaps post a larger-sized version of those maps for us? Please and thank you!
    I think GJA' image viewer is being stupid. I used the Imageshack thumbnail link and I think the forum's doing something to it.

Does the Google link work at least?

Regional:

Local:

Middleton Observatory:

vs.

Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    I believe you're right, 'chutes. When I installed the Highslide image viewer in order to better control the size of the image files on teh forum, it blocked the Image Shack viewer control from working. Apparently it doesn't like competition.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Veteran Member NinjaNaco's Avatar
    Well, I for one still believe Middleton is located somewhere in Colorado, based on the hilliness of the terrain, the fact that it's near mountains, and Kim's mentioning that she missed her target "by 1000 miles" when she's in San Francisco in "Queen Bebe." As for the whole "stagecoach" thing in "Cap'n Drakken," we could just take it as a throwaway joke (Cmdr. Argus didn't accept it! )

Now, the layout of the Possible house, that's a mystery worth untangling! :P

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNaco View Post
    Well, I for one still believe Middleton is located somewhere in Colorado, based on the hilliness of the terrain, the fact that it's near mountains, and Kim's mentioning that she missed her target "by 1000 miles" when she's in San Francisco in "Queen Bebe." As for the whole "stagecoach" thing in "Cap'n Drakken," we could just take it as a throwaway joke (Cmdr. Argus didn't accept it! )

Now, the layout of the Possible house, that's a mystery worth untangling! :P
    Your guess as to where Kim's home town is located is as plausible as 'chutes's is. The KP Krew made the location vague on purpose, so that it could be "Anytown, USA."
    As for the Possible house, perhaps it's built using the same technology as Dr. Who's TARDIS - bigger on the inside than it is on the outside!

I like the look of that map. Now if that area could be replicated in Colorado, then we'd be onto something...
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

Registered User Veteran Member NinjaNaco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Your guess as to where Kim's home town is located is as plausible as 'chutes's is. The KP Krew made the location vague on purpose, so that it could be "Anytown, USA."
    True, which makes discussions like ours purely conjectural.

I should mention that chutes' "Middleton" is slightly north of his "Upperton," while the canonical Upperton is in fact north of Middleton, as it was renamed "North Shegoton" when Shego renamed the Tri-City Area after herself in ASiT: Future (or rather, sometime before the main part of said episode/(part of the movie)), but still...

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    the canonical Upperton is in fact north of Middleton, as it was renamed "North Shegoton" when Shego renamed the Tri-City Area after herself in ASiT: Future (or rather, sometime before the main part of said episode/(part of the movie)), but still...
    Maybe the Supreme One flipped the compass points too? She had absolute power, after all.

I should mention that chutes' "Middleton" is slightly north of his "Upperton," while the canonical Upperton is in fact north of Middleton, as it was renamed "North Shegoton" when Shego renamed the Tri-City Area after herself in ASiT: Future (or rather, sometime before the main part of said episode/(part of the movie)), but still...
    Well, it's about level with "Upperton," (nitpicking! Sorry! ), and I messed up my dot positioning slightly... I'd intended for Middleton's city center to be closer to the lower confluence of those two squigglies, making an equilateral triangle.

But the names might mostly be historical... by Kim's time, what with town growth and suburban sprawl, I'd expect "Middleton" to be covering most of the valley and beginning to merge with the areas of Upperton and Lowerton to form a pint-sized megalopolis.

My history: In the 1820's or so, Thomas Kirk Middleton, wilderness pioneer, helped scout the country's midsection as he went west, naming a highly-skiiable mountain in Kentucky after himself before finally settling down to found a town in Illinois. Citizens decide to name the hamlet after its founder, much to his chagrin. ("T'warn't nothin'!") The two other towns that later sprout up nearby are dubbed "Upperton" and "Lowerton," because the joint town naming commission was tired and short-tempered from the afternoon's hard plowing. The area remained mostly slow and small for most of its early life, though it got its act together enough to put on a facsimile "World's Fair" in 1904 to coattail on the celebrity of the St. Louis event. They managed to book a few B-list speakers, including one eccentric who claimed he could manipulate ze powah AUF ZE LIGHTNING!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, Middleton remained the kind of town that boosts a World's Fair on its highway handout brochures 50 years after it ended (much like Woodstock?).... until the government discovered the place in the 60's. They decided there was a pressing need to bolster the Chicago-New Orleans defensive corridor against Soviet sub-based missiles launched off the coast of Argentina; Middleton's remote, central location on the corridor would make a good node detection point and return-strike center, and the government proceeded to construct a massive Titan I silo complex on the plains south of town. The half-a-billion the military poured into the town to construct the silos, build the runways, improve and modernize facilities, and link roadways changed the face of the town forever.

The Titan I program closed several years later, made obsolete by the Titan II, but the town was not content to become a military appendage and sensed it had only one shot at greatness. Holding the cards of a new highway system, an influx of very smart engineers, and the medical school at nearby Southern Illinois University, the town gambled on a huge, state-of-the-art hospital complex ("build it and they will come, bleeding heavily"). The bet paid off, and the hospital became one of the premiere research complexes and intensive-care centers in the Midwest and an internationally-acclaimed neurological center. The brain-gain from the hospital radiated outward into the community, spawning a host of educational, liberal-arts, and scientific centers throughout the area, even as the city strove to maintain its former small-town feel.

Near the end of the Cold War, the long-unused silo, saved from utter ruin by the "Friends of the Complex" veterans group, caught the attention of an idealistic aerospace engineer from Caltech who wanted to do something big, unusual, and deeply symbolic for his doctoral project. Realizing Middleton lay on about the same latitude line as Wallops Flight Facility, a NASA base in Virginia used to launch orbital rockets, Mr. James T. Possible asked for and gained permission from the city council to transform the silo into a space-launch complex. Beating swords into plowshares, turning a tool of war into an agent of peaceful exploration, the mid-country launch site provided another orbital access point for government and private companies, reducing backlog on the nation's other space ports and spurring investment in the area. Completion of the center in the mid-1990's earned Dr. Possible his doctorate, though it was the far the lesser of his gains: during construction, he fell in love with both the area and a red-headed neurosurgeon working at the hospital.

You know the rest of the story.