Has Wade's Genius Made Him Rich?
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Wade's Genius Made Him Rich?

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar

Has Wade's Genius Made Him Rich?

Okay, I've been mulling this theory over for some time now, and I thought I'd post it here to see what you folks think. It goes like this:
    Due to the fact that Wade's a preadolescent supergenius (his age was given as 10 in the first season) who aced high school and college in just eight months, I believe that his intellect and creativity have made him the primary bread-winner in his family. We know that Wade's done consulting work for at least one firm that we know of - that company that had the rat running the maze in "Queen Bebe" for that study on movement dynamics - and he's apparently familiar with the McHenry laser grid (used by both Mr. Paisley, the wealthy Cuddlebuddy collector, and Team Impossible, to protect their properties), due to some likely involvement on his part in its design and/or development.
    It's also obvious that Wade has to be able to pay to manufacture all the gadgets he gives Kim for her missions (the Kimmunicator; the blow-dryer grappler gun; the jet packs; the spectrometer sunglasses; the class ring that combined a laser gun, micro-mini Kimmunicator, and underwater rebreather device into one unit; the thermal-imaging sunglasses for night vision; the hair-gel compound that expands into a giant cushion when exposed to air, just to name a few).
    So my theory says that Wade, as a result of his genius, has been generously compensated by the above-mentioned firms for his services. Those wages, combined with whatever patents he may also hold, have made Wade independently wealthy. It's the only plausible explanation I can come up with for how he's able to afford all those gadgets, run Kim's website, as well as operate what seems to be a very elaborate and sophisticated computer system.
    We discussed this over on the old ARA forum a few years ago, but I thought I'd post it here on the GJA to get a fresh perspective, especially from those of you who never saw the ARA posts. So what do you all think?
    Let the debates begin....

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Your theory is well grounded, and I compeltely agree with it in principle myself. He obviously has an extremely sophisticated computer system, which of course he has constructed with his earnings for his work, and personally programmed since he is expert at Assembly and C++ (obviously). We know that he completed high school and college in eight months ("Naked Genius"), so I have no doubt that by the time the end of the series came about with "Graduation", at which time he would be thirteen years old, he most likely would have ahd at least two PHD's under his belt, most likely in Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences. he would be the equivalent of Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and the Intel engineers who invented the CPU all rolled into one, and that he would be years ahead of anyone in teh field today as a result. That would make him extremely valuable as a resource for which he can charge top dollar. He is an intergral part of Kim's operation. She couldn't do anywhere near what she is capable of achieving without him.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    I assumed that since Kim needs a "Q" (the show being a spoof of Bond type spy flicks) and she wouldn't be likely to have an adult working for her, the writers came up with Wade. His going through college in 8 months is part of the joke; there are physically not enough hours in that span of time to perform all the laboratory work demanded by any real science or engineering degree, independant of how smart one might be. The writers may not know this, since I imagine those that went to college majored in non-technical fields. Rule of cool, again.

If he was a star at college (or just well thought of, star or no, there are quite a few of us who are associate researchers out there), he probably has access to labs there or at other institutions he has associated with, giving him a place to build Kim's stuff and a source of materials. Real prototypes wouldn't look very cool and kids in the target audience wouldn't understand why they look so rough, hence the finished look (again a combination of probable unfamiliarity on the part of the writers coupled with a desire to have the Bond look).

One thing that is never seen is Wade's father (did they ever say what he does?), we just know that they live in Kim's suburban neighborhood. Another of the many things that a backstory colloquiem would help.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    I assumed that since Kim needs a "Q" (the show being a spoof of Bond type spy flicks) and she wouldn't be likely to have an adult working for her, the writers came up with Wade. His going through college in 8 months is part of the joke; there are physically not enough hours in that span of time to perform all the laboratory work demanded by any real science or engineering degree, independant of how smart one might be. The writers may not know this, since I imagine those that went to college majored in non-technical fields. Rule of cool, again.

If he was a star at college (or just well thought of, star or no, there are quite a few of us who are associate researchers out there), he probably has access to labs there or at other institutions he has associated with, giving him a place to build Kim's stuff and a source of materials. Real prototypes wouldn't look very cool and kids in the target audience wouldn't understand why they look so rough, hence the finished look (again a combination of probable unfamiliarity on the part of the writers coupled with a desire to have the Bond look).

One thing that is never seen is Wade's father (did they ever say what he does?), we just know that they live in Kim's suburban neighborhood. Another of the many things that a backstory colloquiem would help.
    Wow; good points there, lunchmeat. I hadn't thought about those.
    Of course, it could be that Wade developed and tested prototypes for all of Kim's gadgets before producing the final versions to give to her; in the same way we can assume that all of Bond's "toys" had been bench-tested before Q released them for field use. And we have seen Wade send Kim a replacement Kimmunicator at least once (in "A Very Possible Christmas," when Ron took the Kimmunicator with him to fight Drakken alone on Christmas Eve), so we know that at least one of Kim's gadgets was a finalized design, and could thus be mass-produced - at least on a limited scale. But yeah, the "Rule of Cool" was probably the main factor in the writers' coming up with these plot developments.
    As to your query about Wade's father: You're right - they never did mention him. Just as they never mentioned Bonnie's dad, Cousin Joss's mother, or Cousin Larry's father. I imagine, though, that they would have featured him in an episode if they needed him like they did with Wade's mom.

Lunchmeat is right. I was simply taking the "Rule of Cool" as a given in the KP universe.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    And don't forget he did some consulting work for a French aeronautics firm sometime before "The New Ron."

I assume Wade has a large amount of revenue, but the logistics of Kim's operation (and his own side interests) eat up a lot of it, leaving him with a relatively small net income. And while he could probably buy a lot of top-shelf parts for Kim, there's more fun to be had in making your own, eh?
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    And don't forget he did some consulting work for a French aeronautics firm sometime before "The New Ron."

I assume Wade has a large amount of revenue, but the logistics of Kim's operation (and his own side interests) eat up a lot of it, leaving him with a relatively small net income. And while he could probably buy a lot of top-shelf parts for Kim, there's more fun to be had in making your own, eh?
    Considering the unique requirements that Kim's operation needs, that would be an accepted assumption of fact.

EDIT: NICE SIG!....'chutes! I Like It!
    "Say the Word"

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    It's true we never saw Wade's father, but they did mention him once: in "The Cupid Effect." Remember how the Senors Senior used the flower-and-poetry delivery ruse in order to search Wade's room for the love ray?

They even gave him a first name.

Registered User Junior Member Ryan Stoppable's Avatar
    It's also obvious that Wade has to be able to pay to manufacture all the gadgets he gives Kim for her missions (the Kimmunicator; the blow-dryer grappler gun; the jet packs; the spectrometer sunglasses; the class ring that combined a laser gun, micro-mini Kimmunicator, and underwater rebreather device into one unit; the thermal-imaging sunglasses for night vision; the hair-gel compound that expands into a giant cushion when exposed to air, just to name a few).
    I wouldn't be surprised if Global Justice was helping fund his equipment and research behind the scenes. Not only would the parts, Wade's intricate computer network from which he can hack into like anything on Earth, etc. be really expensive and/or things he (a minor) couldn't legally purchase, but it also benefits them in two ways: having Team Possible around allows them to focus on other areas, and they'd be able to cherry-pick the best gadgets (the battle suit!) for wider use within the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stoppable View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Global Justice was helping fund his equipment and research behind the scenes. Not only would the parts, Wade's intricate computer network from which he can hack into like anything on Earth, etc. be really expensive and/or things he (a minor) couldn't legally purchase, but it also benefits them in two ways: having Team Possible around allows them to focus on other areas, and they'd be able to cherry-pick the best gadgets (the battle suit!) for wider use within the organization.
    Perhaps, but I don't think that Wade would like being under their thumb. He's just as willing to 'bend the rules', so to speak, as Ron is at times, though not as much. This shows he's an independent spirit at heart. True, his intricate computer network would be expensive, but his skills will be highly in demand, and why should he be subserviant to Global Justice if he's more than capable of doing it himself and therefore being his own boss? As far his minor status is concerned, with all the money he pulls in with his consulting and creative inventions, I have no problems seeing his parents fronting for him to get anything he can't legally buy as a minor, especially seeing how much money he brings into the family coffers. After all, they had to front the money for him to go through college as a minor (if it wasn't funded by scholarships, which of course then begs the followup deduction that since he would be so well known in the academic community as a child genius, word would soon get around and he would be sought out for those abilitites). No, I can't see Wade working for GJ, not when he's more than capable of being his own boss.
    "Say the Word"