The FIFA world cup has begun
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The FIFA world cup has begun

Registered User Senior Member Villainheadache's Avatar

The FIFA world cup has begun

I was watching the news yesterday, and the FIFA world cup began in the city of soweto, Johannesburg with a big concert, artists like Black Eyed Peas, Shakira, Juanes... debuted at the concert. I think the subject should be included in the forum, isn't? you can post all you want about the world cup, things like:

what is your favorite team?
    Who do you think wins?
    do you like football soccer?
    saw you the inauguration?

OK, let's start writing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    I think it's good to start the thread, especially for those members from outside the US. For myself, I'm afraid that I am a typical (older) American who really never developed an interest in the sport....sorry (American Football was more my thing), but I think the younger members do have more of an interest. America is getting more and more interested in soccer, though it really is the young crowd that's doing. it.
    "Say the Word"

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    I always root for Italy, where my paternal grandparents came from.

Registered User Senior Member Villainheadache's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    I always root for Italy, where my paternal grandparents came from.
    good one Campy, that team won the last world cup, my favorites are: Brazil, USA, and south Africa.

I think it's good to start the thread, especially for those members from outside the US. For myself, I'm afraid that I am a typical (older) American who really never developed an interest in the sport....sorry (American Football was more my thing), but I think the younger members do have more of an interest. America is getting more and more interested in soccer, though it really is the young crowd that's doing. it.
    Thanks J if you've seen something about it, do you have a favorite team? or what you think about soccer?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Villainheadache View Post
    Thanks J if you've seen something about it, do you have a favorite team? or what you think about soccer?
    Oh, I think soccer is fine as a sport. I'm just not that into sports at all, really. If I had a favorite team, I guess I would just go with my own country, and this would be more true for soccer since the USA really is a young team comparatively and not that highly rated, so we're underdogs compared to the big powerhouses.

I used to be a tennis player in high school, but that all quickly went 'by the wayside', as we say in English, lost to higher pursuits (and a bad shoulder). There is one thing I was very intersted in, and still am to some degree, which is martial arts. Now I don't mean things like the MMA combat you see on TV, as I really hate that stuff. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to all that, and to me that isn't martial or artistic. It's just a brawl. I mean the true traditional martial arts as they were originally taught.

So in time, I became invested in the '3M company'...........so to speak, which was medicine, music, and martial arts...........but slowly medicine took over as the dominant activity in my life. She is a very hard taskmistress........
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post

So in time, I became invested in the '3M company'...........so to speak, which was medicine, music, and martial arts...........but slowly medicine took over as the dominant activity in my life. She is a very hard taskmistress........
    What you need is a vivuzela concert :P (even if I enjoyed watching sports, that would put me off, the short exposures I've had while surfing the news channels are annoying enough to make me avoid it like the plague).
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    What you need is a vivuzela concert :P (even if I enjoyed watching sports, that would put me off, the short exposures I've had while surfing the news channels are annoying enough to make me avoid it like the plague).
    Thanks, but I think I'll stick with Mozart and Beethoven.....
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Exalted Member kyojikasshu's Avatar
    What's annoying is that it's so drawn out. I guess if there's one thing association football (soccer) has in common with American football, it's that you apparently need about a week to recuperate? I dunno... I can't get up for any of the matches besides the US, and that's pretty much just for national pride.

The vuvuzelas, though... I could do without those, if only because every freaking show I listen to feels the need to remind us about them!

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Or basketball, seems like the season for that begins shortly before the start of the previous season's playoffs start.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

World Cup matches tend to be on when I'm at work, but I did get a chance to watch the 1-1 US-England draw. In terms of professional association football, I can't really get into MLS (the major league in the US and Canada), but I do try to watch the occasional European match, especially during the knockout rounds of the Champions League.