Sad day for the U.S. Coast Guard
Global Justice Alliance

Thread: Sad day for the U.S. Coast Guard

Administrator Senior Member Greenmandmz's Avatar

Sad day for the U.S. Coast Guard

Some of you may have already heard about this, but Wednesday was was a sad day for the Coast Guard. A Coast Guard MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter carrying 4 CG members bound for Sitka, AK crashed after hitting a power pole. 2 of the 4 crew members were killed upon impact and a 3rd died after being brought ashore by boaters who witnessed the crash. The sole survivor is the hospital with a broken arm & leg and looks like he is going to make it.

You can follow this link for more information: http://www.adn.com/2010/07/07/135705...ents_Container

These tragic incidents really hit close to home for obvious reasons. My heart really goes out to the families of the crew members who were killed in the crash. Though, really, with these types of crashes we are lucky that anyone survived. I really do hope that the surviving officer is able to make a full recovery.

Please keep the family and friends of the crew in your thoughts and prayers. They are going to need it.
    Gah! Quit mocking me. -AinoMinako
    [I]

Kim & Ron: Best of friends!

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    I am so sorry to hear about the accident, GMZ. I sure hope that the surviving member does make it through without any permanent injuries. One does need to consider that the CG is just as important and just as much a part of the military effort this country expends in combating our enemies even though their job is not in the news near as much.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Senior Member Villainheadache's Avatar
    Oh I didn't heard about it, Hope the survivor gets well completely, may God bless them and their families.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    ...... One does need to consider that the CG is just as important and just as much a part of the military effort this country expends in combating our enemies even though their job is not in the news near as much.
    Not to mention profoundly underfunded by Congress.

For those that haven't been up there, the flying weather along most of the Alaskan coast is often pretty grim and the SAR crews go out in the worst of it (Deadliest Catch fans can get an idea by imagining hovering a dynamically unstable aircraft in the conditions shown on the show, while trying to pull imobilized people out of the waves). The surviving members of the squadron will be out in it again, next time there is a call.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”