The Avengers (60s UK TV)
Global Justice Alliance

Thread: The Avengers (60s UK TV)

Registered User Junior Member

The Avengers (60s UK TV)

Catherine Gale (played by Honor Blackman) and Emma Peel (played by Dianah Rigg) had to have been the sexiest spies of the 1960s. Not only that, but they were also serious combatants.

(Yes, the actresses were trained in the actual martial arts they used. Yes, at least in the earlier Catherine Gale stories the fights were not "stage fights" but actual demonstrations. And, yes, several stunt-men were knocked unconscious during filming.)

In terms of atmosphere, this series (one of the first to have women be strong, brave, resourceful, willing to step knowingly into extreme danger and opponents to be feared) is one of the closest to Kim Possible.

The lead character of John Steed (played by Patrick Macnee) was a smarter (perhaps) version of Ron. Comic, more of a plot-device arranger at times, and prone to carelessness, he was unquestionably Ron's parallel. The difference being John Steed's ultra-cool personality, a willingness to observe anything exposed through his reckless antics and a spy agency to fill him in on background information.

But IS he that different from Ron? I could easily see Ron, with the backing of Global Justice and a bit more confidence in himself, becoming everything Steed was, maybe more.

I am suggesting this thread to not only see interest in this series, but to also examine the differences and parallels with KP.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Imipk View Post
    Catherine Gale (played by Honor Blackman) and Emma Peel (played by Dianah Rigg) had to have been the sexiest spies of the 1960s. Not only that, but they were also serious combatants.

(Yes, the actresses were trained in the actual martial arts they used. Yes, at least in the earlier Catherine Gale stories the fights were not "stage fights" but actual demonstrations. And, yes, several stunt-men were knocked unconscious during filming.)

In terms of atmosphere, this series (one of the first to have women be strong, brave, resourceful, willing to step knowingly into extreme danger and opponents to be feared) is one of the closest to Kim Possible.

The lead character of John Steed (played by Patrick Macnee) was a smarter (perhaps) version of Ron. Comic, more of a plot-device arranger at times, and prone to carelessness, he was unquestionably Ron's parallel. The difference being John Steed's ultra-cool personality, a willingness to observe anything exposed through his reckless antics and a spy agency to fill him in on background information.

But IS he that different from Ron? I could easily see Ron, with the backing of Global Justice and a bit more confidence in himself, becoming everything Steed was, maybe more.

I am suggesting this thread to not only see interest in this series, but to also examine the differences and parallels with KP.
    Gosh, I loved this series, especially Lady Diana Rigg who looked hotter in that sleek black suit of hers than even Scarlett Johanssen did in her Black Widow costume in Iron Man II (and believe me that says a lot!). It was a great series, very campy in a suave way, the way the American series "Batman" with Adam West (despite being a wonderful series itself) was not.

Now Patrick Macnee as John Streed was very sophisticated and knowledgeable, and while you can draw certain parallels between him and Ron in certain ways, I honestly have difficulty seeing them as similar. The points you made are valid, but John Steed seemed to take charge most of the time. Ron doesn't really. His personality seems too different to perform in missions like Steed does. Yes, Steed seems to act careless at times, but it's different from Ron who still works through his "dumb skills", at least to me. Global Justice could make Ron more confident, but he simply doesn't have the propensity or tendencies to assume that suave sophisticated manner that John Steed possesses. It would affect the very way he approach mission work, and who knows how Kim might react to that.

Now Kim and Emma Peel? Absolutely, strong, independent women who think for themselves who can really kick a** any time they have to do it, and who get the job done for the flag and country.
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Catherine Gale (played by Honor Blackman) and Emma Peel (played by Diana Rigg) had to have been the sexiest spies of the 1960s. Not only that, but they were also serious combatants.

Gosh, I loved this series, especially Lady Diana Rigg who looked hotter in that sleek black suit of hers than even Scarlett Johanssen did in her Black Widow costume in Iron Man II (and believe me that says a lot!). It was a great series, very campy in a suave way, the way the American series "Batman" with Adam West (despite being a wonderful series itself) was not.

Now Patrick Macnee as John Steed was very sophisticated and knowledgeable, and while you can draw certain parallels between him and Ron in certain ways, I honestly have difficulty seeing them as similar. The points you made are valid, but John Steed seemed to take charge most of the time. Ron doesn't really. His personality seems too different to perform in missions like Steed does. Yes, Steed seems to act careless at times, but it's different from Ron who still works through his "dumb skills", at least to me. Global Justice could make Ron more confident, but he simply doesn't have the propensity or tendencies to assume that suave sophisticated manner that John Steed possesses. It would affect the very way he approach mission work, and who knows how Kim might react to that.

Now Kim and Emma Peel? Absolutely, strong, independent women who think for themselves who can really kick a** any time they have to do it, and who get the job done for the flag and country.
    I have to agree with jeriddian on the contrast between John Steed and Ron. Steed was more assertive than Ron is; that's what made him "seem to take charge most of the time," as jeriddian so succinctly put it. The only times Ron ever took charge was when he absolutely had to, because Kim was either incapacitated in some way or else she simply wasn't around to help. Although my memories of "The Avengers" is faulty due to not having seen very many episodes (and those I did see were aired several decades ago), what I do remember was Steed's quiet strength of character. Ron's clearly far more timid than John Steed, making him far less of a "take charge"-type of guy.

Did you ever see the episode "A Touch of Brimstone"? That, I believe, was her first episode. And banned in the US for many years, apparently. The outfit in that episode was designed by Diana Rigg herself. *shakes head to clear thoughts*

Now Patrick Macnee as John Streed was very sophisticated and knowledgeable, and while you can draw certain parallels between him and Ron in certain ways, I honestly have difficulty seeing them as similar. The points you made are valid, but John Steed seemed to take charge most of the time. Ron doesn't really. His personality seems too different to perform in missions like Steed does. Yes, Steed seems to act careless at times, but it's different from Ron who still works through his "dumb skills", at least to me. Global Justice could make Ron more confident, but he simply doesn't have the propensity or tendencies to assume that suave sophisticated manner that John Steed possesses. It would affect the very way he approach mission work, and who knows how Kim might react to that.
    Ok, on reflection, I can agree with that.

Oh, definitely. I tried starting a crossover fanfic with the idea that Kim really doesn't have a coach or mentor (other than Nana) and Emma Peel has experience with a very wide range of diabolical masterminds. However, I found them so much alike that I just couldn't make that dynamic work.

Did you ever see the episode "A Touch of Brimstone"? That, I believe, was her first episode. And banned in the US for many years, apparently. The outfit in that episode was designed by Diana Rigg herself. *shakes head to clear thoughts*
    No, I can't recall the episode I'm afraid. I have seen a lot of the Avengers, but like TWD, it's been decades. I believe I have seen most of the episodes that Diana Rigg played, and several with the woman who took over for her afterwards (I cannot recall her name, thin girl, short hair, reminded me of twiggy a little bit. she was alright, but nowhere near as dynamic as Diana Rigg), but as to that particular episode, I can't say for sure. But the series alwyas left a mark with me. I still remember it well after all this time.

Oh, definitely. I tried starting a crossover fanfic with the idea that Kim really doesn't have a coach or mentor (other than Nana) and Emma Peel has experience with a very wide range of diabolical masterminds. However, I found them so much alike that I just couldn't make that dynamic work.
    Cool! It's true that they are so much alike, but I think you could still play the mentor angle. After all, Kim is still a teenager, and Emma is fully mature in her late 20's/early 30's. She can draw on a whole lot of experiences, I would think, that Kim has not yet had, and then teach them to her on the job, not to mention the differences in their approach to style, taste, and men. Classic British Chic versus Modern American Teen should make for some very interesting interactions......
    "Say the Word"

Cool! It's true that they are so much alike, but I think you could still play the mentor angle. After all, Kim is still a teenager, and Emma is fully mature in her late 20's/early 30's. She can draw on a whole lot of experiences, I would think, that Kim has not yet had, and then teach them to her on the job, not to mention the differences in their approach to style, taste, and men. Classic British Chic versus Modern American Teen should make for some very interesting interactions......
    I shall give that another crack, then. It is tough. Given Steed and Mrs. Peel tend to have cover stories when they go on missions, my first thought was to have Mrs. Peel be hired as a gymnastics instructor at the school to give her an excuse for being in the area, and that the mentoring develops out of a mutual respect.

(Kim isn't the kind of person who would accept being assigned a mentor, so there has to be a Kim-worthy reason for the dynamic. Especially after the GJ assistance she's received in the past, which has ended up as much a distraction as a help. Mrs. Peel has a much smoother, more accepting style but that only helps if Kim has a reason to accept it.)

I shall give that another crack, then. It is tough. Given Steed and Mrs. Peel tend to have cover stories when they go on missions, my first thought was to have Mrs. Peel be hired as a gymnastics instructor at the school to give her an excuse for being in the area, and that the mentoring develops out of a mutual respect.

(Kim isn't the kind of person who would accept being assigned a mentor, so there has to be a Kim-worthy reason for the dynamic. Especially after the GJ assistance she's received in the past, which has ended up as much a distraction as a help. Mrs. Peel has a much smoother, more accepting style but that only helps if Kim has a reason to accept it.)
    The cover story/gymnastics teacher angle sounds good. I would think Kim could be involved in this voluntarily in a couple of ways. First, most Americans tend to be anglophilic, so she could have a certain attraction to things English. She could really like Emma's cool accent. What may catch Kim's attention is that some of the moves Emma is teaching seem to her to have certain Martial properties in their usage, something she may ask Emma about in private, and which Emma will demonstrate.....fully. Emma, of course, will know who Kim is, and has no qualms about dumping the teenager, gently of course, onto her backside, in a friendly exchange of technique. This of course will only encourage Kim to try her again, this time without holding back, which then develops into a full blown combat (respectfully done between friendly combatants), which will prove to Kim that Emma is a lot more than she seems. Emma will have her reasons for allowing Kim to know her past her cover, such as an assignment in which she may need Kim to assist. Kim realizes the older, more experienced operative, would have a lot to offer her in terms of training, and would be very interested in entering a mentor-student relationship to gain that knowledge. But Kim is independent, and likes being her own boss as well, which should make for an interesting dynamic between the two of them. Anyway, that's my take on it. Feel free to use it.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Oddly enough I was watching Top Gear the other day and the celebrity driver was the actress who played Steed's sidekick after Emma Peel. She's quite a driver.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    Oddly enough I was watching Top Gear the other day and the celebrity driver was the actress who played Steed's sidekick after Emma Peel. She's quite a driver.
    I remember her. That was Linda Thorsen who took over for Diana Rigg when she left the show in 1967. She had to wear these short wigs at first because they tried to bleach her brown hair blond and they ruined it.
    "Say the Word"