What are you watching? Part 7 - Page 2
Global Justice Alliance

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you watching? Part 7

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    I have this film on DVD, but I'm not sure if I have the director's cut. I enjoyed it mostly because I'm a fan of Peter O' Toole, and I'd like to see more of his films. In addition to Lawrence, I also have The Lion in Winter; The Stunt Man; My Favorite Year; and of course, Ratatouille (in which Mr. O'Toole voiced Anton Ego, the food critic).
    Great stuff from a great actor....

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    The restored scenes mostly explain why Lawrence was in Cairo.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    I also have The Lion in Winter, a great film, in which Katherine Hepburn nearly stole the show from O'Toole. It was also the first major film appearance of a little known actor at the time by the name of Anthony Hopkins, who played eldest son Richard the Lion-Hearted. I also have Ratatouille.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Saw a commercial for some show about keeping the peace in Detroit, which left me wondering if it's the television version of the Roadwarrior movies. I hope they have Wez in it.....

Meanwhile I'm watching a show about ancient astronauts featuring Erich von Dannekan. I've been to a lot of the places they feature and the stuff is actually pretty pedestrian, if you've seen much in the way of primitive art. They're making a big deal about some figurines that they claim represent jet aircraft. Apparently none of them have ever seen the flying fish that are common in the area.

My favorite passage, sofar, is the term "ancient astronaut theorists". Clearly none of them has the faintest idea what a scientific theory is (hint: it's not baseless speculation).
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    Saw a commercial for some show about keeping the peace in Detroit, which left me wondering if it's the television version of the Roadwarrior movies. I hope they have Wez in it.....

Meanwhile I'm watching a show about ancient astronauts featuring Erich von Dannekan. I've been to a lot of the places they feature and the stuff is actually pretty pedestrian, if you've seen much in the way of primitive art. They're making a big deal about some figurines that they claim represent jet aircraft. Apparently none of them have ever seen the flying fish that are common in the area.

My favorite passage, sofar, is the term "ancient astronaut theorists". Clearly none of them has the faintest idea what a scientific theory is (hint: it's not baseless speculation).
    I remember when von Daniken's book was first published in the early 70's. I bought a copy and read it - looking back on it years later, I can't believe how gullible I was to even consider giving credence to his theories. I also bought a copy of a book by another "ancient astronaut theorist," whose name I've since forgotten, back then. That book's title was We Are Not the First, and it basically agreed with von Daniken's fantasies - oops, I mean theories. Once I realized what a complete batch of hog slop those books were, I got rid of them - and I only do that with books I don't like (the ones I like I keep forever).

Registered User Exalted Member Rob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    HEY, NOW!

Actually, although the pilot for Detroit 187 was primarily filmed in Atlanta, they are doing the series in Detroit. My cousin, who's been getting acting gigs more frequently lately (thanks to Michigan's incentives for film productions), may even make an appearance on the show.

I guess it's nice that there's a police procedural that isn't focused on New York, Los Angeles, Miami or Las Vegas... (or D.C., if you count NCIS...)

It really doesn't help, though, that after two decades of going down the toilet under Coleman Young, the efforts to revive the city put forth by Dennis Archer were basically set back at least a decade by one of the most embarrassing political figures this side of Marion Berry: Kwame Kilpatrick. It also didn't help that some of the members of the city council were also crazy people...

Enough ranting, though. Lately, my TV diet has pretty much just been courtesy of RTV's evening airing of various Universal-produced shows from the 1960s-1980s: Adam-12 (1968-75), Dragnet (1967-70), The Incredible Hulk, Knight Rider, and The Rockford Files... that's if I feel like actually watching TV. Other than that, it's been looking up old episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000 online.

Only a month before hockey season starts up, though, so at least I have Hockey Night in Canada to look forward to. (Oh, and the new TV season starting up soon means new episodes of NCIS...)

Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    I also bought a copy of a book by another "ancient astronaut theorist," whose name I've since forgotten, back then. That book's title was We Are Not the First, and it basically agreed with von Daniken's fantasies - oops, I mean theories.
    ... Daniel Jackson?

Quote Originally Posted by kyojikasshu View Post
    [
    Actually, although the pilot for Detroit 187 was primarily filmed in Atlanta, they are doing the series in Detroit. My cousin, who's been getting acting gigs more frequently lately (thanks to Michigan's incentives for film productions), may even make an appearance on the show.
    Well that's good news I guess. At least somebody up here in Michigan will finally have a job. In my local area, there's a 25% unemployment rate.....

Super Moderator Venerated Elder campy's Avatar
    The Spaz* Era of Boston College Football continues! I'm watching BC vs. Weber State in an ESPN3 window. Eagles lead 7–3.

Congrats to BC linebacker Mark Herzlich on returning to the field after his battle with Ewing's sarcoma.

(*) For head coach Frank Spaziani

Having watched a few parts of the show here and there over the last few years, I figured I may as well start really and truly watching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex since Adult Swim is currently running it on Saturdays (well, technically Sundays). I probably would have been better off starting with the first episode, but I think I've got a handle on what's going on despite jumping in the thick of things. The Major's awesome, but that's to expected. Now the Tachikomas, they to are awesome in their own way. And the opening song is highly addicting I might add.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered User Honored Elder Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenMagic View Post
    Having watched a few parts of the show here and there over the last few years, I figured I may as well start really and truly watching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex since Adult Swim is currently running it on Saturdays (well, technically Sundays). I probably would have been better off starting with the first episode, but I think I've got a handle on what's going on despite jumping in to the thick of things. The Major's awesome, but that's to expected. Now the Tachikomas, they to are awesome in their own way.

Yeah, starting at the beginning helps, but in the first few episodes, you can jump in whenever. The series is on iTunes, too.

I've got a GitS thread up in the "Test Forum" if you'd like to keep a running commentary. (Beware spoilers, though! )
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.