The KP Characters' Book Lists
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The KP Characters' Book Lists

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar

The KP Characters' Book Lists

I was just reading some on-line reviews of Mary Stewart's famous "Merlin Trilogy" - three novels she wrote about the King Arthur legend as seen through the eyes of Merlin the magician (The Crystal Cave, 1970; The Hollow Hills, 1973; and The Last Enchantment, 1979), and I got to wondering about what our favorite crime-fighting cheerleader and her friends might enjoy reading. I was wondering if Kim would enjoy reading the Merlin books, but then I figured those would more likely be found on the shelves of Cousin Larry or maybe Malcolm Nevius, given those two characters' love of fantasy and role-playing games ("Fortress" and "Everlot").
    Our late friend Cpneb posted a KP/Honor Harrington crossover fanfic, which started off with Kim reading the Harrington novels, but would she really go in for military SF, even if it featured a strong female lead who reminded her of herself? Kim, as shown in the series, wasn't a very big fan of things like science fiction or superheroes. So I'm really not sure if the Harrington books would appeal to her (as much as I personally would like them to, given the similarities between the two characters).
    So what do you all think would be found on Kim's bookshelves? And what would do you think the other characters in the show would read? Feel free to discuss at length.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    I agree with you that Kim would not be interested at all in Sci-Fi, Fantasy, or pretty much anything like it. This was very well detailed in "Larry's Birthday". In the end she respected the boys' interests, but did make it clear she had none herself. At the same time as can be seen in "Motor Ed", she clearly had no interested in things mechanical either, specifically cars in this particular episode, and in other episodes you can also see she much preferred leaving the scientific details to Wade. Kim is certainly intelligent enough, no question, to understand these things (as can be seen in "Partners"), but she simply doesn't have the inclination to any degree.

This also goes hand in hand with the fact she did not want to follow either of her parents' footsteps into science or medicine ("Clothes Minded") So as to what would NOT be on her bookshelf, I would say no sci-Fi, no adventure (a la Horatio Hornblower, James Bond, Tom Clancy, etc.), and no technical scientific stuff such as books on the Universe (a la Stephen Hawking), electronics, computers (except probably the "Computers for Dummies" book), or even biology books, except possibly some nature books which describe flora and fauna in regions that are not primarily scientific in scope.

So what would be on her shelf...............

I would go with more socially aimed subjects. She would go much more for non-fictional things. Biographies of certain famous people she admired, especially of women. With her mother as a role model, and her present role as a world saver, there is no question that she would go for the "Strong Independent Woman" concept. She would likely have some books on psychology, especially considering the fact that she deals with whackos like Drakken on a daily basis. Criminology and possibly Law would also be subjects in her books as well. I see her reading that which would apply to her work. In addition I see some tomes on Gymnastics, Cheerleading, exercise routines, basic medical care (encouraged by her mother, I'm sure), treatises on world issues, and maybe a volume or two on economics, although only to a very basic degree as I don't see her really that interested in that except as it may apply to world situations. Politics is another subject I think she likely would have in her library as well.

Now this would be the non-fiction. what fiction would she have. No question in my mind. Kim is as female in this department as can be, I think. In "Oh Boyz", she exhibits the typical teenage girl tendency that some of them express in boy groups, and other young male musicians in their age group. I would see roamnce novels, even some trashy ones as light reading. She could also go for some historical fiction as a change. But ths fiction has to be fairly realistic in its basis. If you get too outlandish, she would lose interest very quickly.
    "Say the Word"

Yeah, I agree with you in that Kim wouldn't go for the adventure, SF, or scientific/technical stuff. Those things clearly don't interest her. I also agree that she'd want to read about famous women in history, as well as books on topics relevant to her world-saving, helping-other-people philosophy and lifestyle.
    I'm not so sure about politics, unless by that you mean books that explain just how the political process in our country works. I just don't see her reading books by any of the political commentators, either on the Left or Right. I think she'd just focus on learning all she can about how our government functions (or is supposed to, anyway) so she could do whatever she could to make things better if she chose to get involved in that particular field (and IIRC, she did express an interest in international diplomacy in Job Unfair, so perhaps understanding the political process would be a logical field of study for Kim).
    Now Wade, on the other hand, would be heavily into the technical stuff - physics, math, scientific breakthroughs and discoveries; that sort of thing. I can see him filling his bookshelves with everything from astronomy to computer science; from space exploration to studying and forecasting the weather. Not to mention tons of stuff on engineering!
    I think the same could be said for Jim and Tim. Budding inventors and tinkerers that they are, I'm sure they'd be poring over books on mechanical design and engineering, as well as the latest news from the world of science. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they were stealing their father's technical journals and scientific magazines every time those arrived in the mail!

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    I just don't see her reading books by any of the political commentators, either on the Left or Right. I think she'd just focus on learning all she can about how our government functions (or is supposed to, anyway) so she could do whatever she could to make things better if she chose to get involved in that particular field (and IIRC, she did express an interest in international diplomacy in Job Unfair, so perhaps understanding the political process would be a logical field of study for Kim).
    Yes, when I mentioned politics as being in her library, I should have been specific. I meant the actual study of politics as a science (probably the only 'science' book on her shelf), and not books of any particular political viewpoint.

Now Wade, on the other hand, would be heavily into the technical stuff - physics, math, scientific breakthroughs and discoveries; that sort of thing. I can see him filling his bookshelves with everything from astronomy to computer science; from space exploration to studying and forecasting the weather. Not to mention tons of stuff on engineering!
    It reminds me of Scotty on Star Trek. In "The Trouble with Tribbles", Scotty was dsiciplined by Kirk for the bar fight with the Klingons in which he was involved (actually he started it). Kirk punished him by confining him to quarters, which made Scotty very happy as he could then catch up on all his technical journals.
    "Say the Word"

Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    It reminds me of Scotty on Star Trek. In "The Trouble with Tribbles", Scotty was dsiciplined by Kirk for the bar fight with the Klingons in which he was involved (actually he started it). Kirk punished him by confining him to quarters, which made Scotty very happy as he could then catch up on all his technical journals.
    Yeah; for Scotty, technical journals are recreational reading. Given his mechanical prowess as shown time and again in the original series and throughout all six films, Mr. Scott is most definitely a genius. I really think he and Wade would get along just fine.....

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Younger Kim probably devoured Ann M. Martin's Babysitters Club series and Francine Pascal's Sweet Valley High books. SVH may even explain why she took up cheerleading.

Now when she reads fiction it's probably Jane Austin and Proust.

Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Younger Kim probably devoured Ann M. Martin's Babysitters Club series and Francine Pascal's Sweet Valley High books. SVH may even explain why she took up cheerleading.*

Now when she reads fiction it's probably Jane Austin and Proust.**
    *Agreed. Kim probably did read those books. I know my oldest niece, who was born in 1980, enjoyed the "Babysitter's Club" series. So it stands to reason KP, who's of the same generation, would have liked them as well.
    **Could be - but would she like reading the classics, or would she consider them boring and only to be read if they're assigned in school, the way most teenagers do in real life? What about any contemporary fiction featuring female characters, or written by female authors? Do you think Kim would read any of those as well?
    And what about Ron? The only book we know he read for sure (without it being assigned in class, according to Kim) is one by Martin Smarty, which was probably Mr. Smarty's autobiography.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Ron's literary tastes are probably closer to Cousin Larry's in that he'd enjoy reading the same kind of SF and fantasy books that Larry does. It's very likely that Ron also reads any books he can on playing video games, especially ones which offer cheat codes allowing a player to advance quicker to higher levels. He probably would read any books on cooking as well, given his mad food-prep skills as demonstrated in Two to Tutor (especially if he were to study Culinary Arts in college).

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    What about any contemporary fiction featuring female characters, or written by female authors? Do you think Kim would read any of those as well?
    Probably the ones featuring hottie vampires.

BTW, I can think of one other book Ron almost certainly read:

Ned: Bueno Nacho SOP.
    Kim: Excuse me?
    Ned: Standard Operating Procedures. Learn them, know them, live them!

Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    What about any contemporary fiction featuring female characters, or written by female authors? Do you think Kim would read any of those as well?
    Probably the ones featuring hottie vampires.

BTW, I can think of one other book Ron almost certainly read:

Ned: Bueno Nacho SOP.
    Kim: Excuse me?
    Ned: Standard Operating Procedures. Learn them, know them, live them!

You're right! I'd forgotten about that one!
    You have a good memory, my friend!

Since I'm reading a book of quotes by John F. Kennedy, I got to wondering: What philosophers/statesmen/world leaders would Kim want to read about? Probably folks whose philosophies agree with her own world-saving, doing-the-help-thing values, wouldn't you agree?