Any Good Movies or DVDs? - starting Fall 2010 until ? - Page 2
Global Justice Alliance

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Good Movies or DVDs? - starting Fall 2010 until ?

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    (Can we discuss bad movies or DVDs here?)

I remember seeing lots of promos for this movie She's Out of My League a while back, and the premise kind of intrigued me because of my Tara-dating-the-chess-team-captain fanfic. Anyway, today I borrowed the DVD from the library. Wow, was that ever a waste of 104 minutes. When did "humor" become synonymous with "F-word"?

I guess I'm just not in the target audience for that flick.
    Don't feel all alone. I avoid films described as "edgy" since that generally translates to "doomed atempt to save inept writing and incompetently developed plot, accompanied by poor acting through the means of incessant F bombs".
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    (Can we discuss bad movies or DVDs here?)

I remember seeing lots of promos for this movie She's Out of My League a while back, and the premise kind of intrigued me because of my Tara-dating-the-chess-team-captain fanfic. Anyway, today I borrowed the DVD from the library. Wow, was that ever a waste of 104 minutes. When did "humor" become synonymous with "F-word"?

I guess I'm just not in the target audience for that flick.
    Don't feel all alone. I avoid films described as "edgy" since that generally translates to "doomed atempt to save inept writing and incompetently developed plot, accompanied by poor acting through the means of incessant F bombs".
    Amen to that................
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Yet some movies are so bad, they've actually become cult classics. Back in 1982, Kristy McNichol and Chris Atkins (remember him from The Blue Lagoon with Brooke Shields?) starred in The Pirate Movie, a rock & roll musical comedy/fantasy based on Gilbert & Sullivan's The Pirates of Penzance. I went and saw it when it first came out (I was a big fan of Kristy's back then); and let me tell you, it was a dog. The film had been shot on location in Australia, and I think they wrote the script on the plane ride down to pass the time - that's how awful the dialog was. It was so corny and hokey, I was actually embarrassed to be in that cinema watching the film!
    It didn't do too well at the box office, but apparently it's gathered something of a cult following in recent years (at least that's what it says on the back of the DVD packaging when I saw it in a local Target store a while ago).

Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Yet some movies are so bad, they've actually become cult classics. Back in 1982, Kristy McNichol and Chris Atkins (remember him from The Blue Lagoon with Brooke Shields?) starred in The Pirate Movie, a rock & roll musical comedy/fantasy based on Gilbert & Sullivan's The Pirates of Penzance. I went and saw it when it first came out (I was a big fan of Kristy's back then); and let me tell you, it was a dog. The film had been shot on location in Australia, and I think they wrote the script on the plane ride down to pass the time - that's how awful the dialog was. It was so corny and hokey, I was actually embarrassed to be in that cinema watching the film!
    It didn't do too well at the box office, but apparently it's gathered something of a cult following in recent years (at least that's what it says on the back of the DVD packaging when I saw it in a local Target store a while ago).
    Can we say "Plan 9 From Outer Space?"
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar
    Iron man 2... it was pretty great to watch it again. And i also did some digging and there will be a sequal to the movie by 2012. If you wanna find out more details do some research on imdb.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud23465 View Post
    Iron man 2... it was pretty great to watch it again. And i also did some digging and there will be a sequal to the movie by 2012. If you wanna find out more details do some research on imdb.
    Yeah, for me too. But the crowning moment of that film for me is ScarJo doing her thing as the Black Widow when she invaded Hammer's Factory with Happy looking for Vanko. That was absolutely perfect! And as she walks down the corridor into the camera at the end of the fight (just before she maces the last guy)..........Just change her hair to be longer, fuller, and ebon black, and her eyes green, and she is the full embodiment of Shego herself.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Regular Member Molloy's Avatar

Post Trust (1990)

Watching Hal Hartley's great early nineties "romantic comedy." I'm not sure if the seeds for my decade-long boycott of broadcast television were planted by my first viewing of this film or not.

However, in addition to his "television is the opiate of the masses" ethic, I believe I have incorporated much of Matthew Slaughter's personality into my own.

Here's a great scene where he and Maria (the wonderful and missed Adrienne Shelley) debate the definition of love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTok_lIkHPc
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Freedom involves being able truly to care about other people & to sacrifice for them over and over in myriad petty, unsexy ways every day. --David Foster Wallace

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    But the crowning moment of that film for me is ScarJo doing her thing as the Black Widow when she invaded Hammer's Factory with Happy looking for Vanko. That was absolutely perfect! And as she walks down the corridor into the camera at the end of the fight (just before she maces the last guy)..........Just change her hair to be longer, fuller, and ebony black, and her eyes green, and she is the full embodiment of Shego herself.
    Bah... That's Kickαss Kimmie in full-on battle mode.

And oh the mace bit was hilarious... both for me and the entire theater.

I picked up "How to Train Your Dragon" this evening... and watched it immediately, of course.

I think the reason I like this movie so much is because it is, at heart, an engineer's movie. Particularly, an aerospace engineer's movie.

Like I said above, my engineering friends and I were positively giddy about the development cycle and testing sequence Hiccup did to refine his wing... He even developed his own Control Laws!
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    Bah... That's Kickαss Kimmie in full-on battle mode.

And oh the mace bit was hilarious... both for me and the entire theater.
    Oh, I agree, action wise. But ScarJo's outfit and the way she walked reminded me so much more of Shego.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    I picked up "How to Train Your Dragon" this evening... and watched it immediately, of course.

I think the reason I like this movie so much is because it is, at heart, an engineer's movie. Particularly, an aerospace engineer's movie.

Like I said above, my engineering friends and I were positively giddy about the development cycle and testing sequence Hiccup did to refine his wing... He even developed his own Control Laws!
    I didn't think I would like this movie that much, mainly because I wasn't that impressed with the animation, but the more I watch it, the more I love it. I think it's become one of my all time favorites.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    I didn't think I would like this movie that much, mainly because I wasn't that impressed with the animation, but the more I watch it, the more I love it. I think it's become one of my all time favorites.
    Yes, it struck me as odd at first. Hyperrealistic textures (of fur, wood, metal, etc) are placed over cartoonish bodies, which felt jarring. And it has Dreamworks' signature, lumpy "bubble" design style. But like you said, it grows on you quickly.

My favorite scene of the movie is "Test Drive," where Hiccup takes Toothless for their first proper flight test - despite the impression that it grandly rips off Avatar. The triumphant horns are what stick with me long after the movie is over.... They wisely used that motif later. And I love the detail of Toothless's wingtip contrails as he aerobrakes with "full flaps and slats," as it were, after plucking Hiccup out of free fall. The combination of airplane and animal visuals is an impressive part of this film. (The Green Death's air-suck that nearly ingests Astrid reminds me of a jet engine intake, and Fishlegs comments that "I've lost power on the Gronckle!! Stalled out! Do something!")

Back to the Test Drive scene, the horns return (better than ever) as Hiccup regains his bearings.... And I love love love the shots of his feet working the tailfin. The cause-and-effect of it all is wonderfully direct, and the sounds of the maneuver are just viscerally solid. *CLICK!* *FUMP!* *FOOSH!*
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.