Any Good Movies or DVDs? - starting Fall 2010 until ? - Page 3
Global Justice Alliance

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Good Movies or DVDs? - starting Fall 2010 until ?

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    I just re-watched an old favorite on DVD: John Hughes' 1987 film Planes, Trains and Automobiles starring Steve Martin as an uptight ad exec trying to get home in time for Thanksgiving; and John Candy as the loudmouthed salesman he ends up traveling with when their airline flight's diverted by bad weather. The plot's a perfect example of Murphy's Law for Comedy Films: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong in the funniest way possible.":P
    Another winner from Mr. Hughes...

Registered User Exalted Member kyojikasshu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Yet some movies are so bad, they've actually become cult classics. Back in 1982, Kristy McNichol and Chris Atkins (remember him from The Blue Lagoon with Brooke Shields?) starred in The Pirate Movie, a rock & roll musical comedy/fantasy based on Gilbert & Sullivan's The Pirates of Penzance. I went and saw it when it first came out (I was a big fan of Kristy's back then); and let me tell you, it was a dog. The film had been shot on location in Australia, and I think they wrote the script on the plane ride down to pass the time - that's how awful the dialog was. It was so corny and hokey, I was actually embarrassed to be in that cinema watching the film!
    It didn't do too well at the box office, but apparently it's gathered something of a cult following in recent years (at least that's what it says on the back of the DVD packaging when I saw it in a local Target store a while ago).
    I remember seeing that on cable back when I was a kid! Wow, that was cheesy! Of course, if you want pirate cheese with a sci-fi flavor, you can always go with the 1984 release "The Ice Pirates"...

Of course, I've been maintaining my own cheese diet with a steady stream of Mystery Science Theater 3000 rentals from Netflix. Oddly enough, they haven't added the Volume XIX episodes as of yet, which is pretty irritating - I want to get Bride of the Monster, which is not only good ol' Ed Wood cheese featuring Bela Lugosi, but it also features part 1 of the short "Hired!" - part 2 is on "Manos": The Hands of Fate, which is one of the two MST3K DVDs I actually own.

What's fun with the Shout! Factory releases is that they put on extras such as interviews with people involved with the movies being riffed. For example, they had Bert I. Gordon, Susan Gordon, and Joe Turkel discussing the movie Tormented, which was a bit of a departure for Bert I. (known as "Mister BIG" as a play on his initials, for making lots of movies featuring giant creatures, several of which were riffed on MST3K). The earlier Rhino DVDs didn't have as much in the way of extras, although a few earlier releases did include their respective movies in the original, uncut format.

Of course, one of the drawbacks of MST3K is the issue with licensing movies. The Gamera episodes from Season 3 are likely never to see a release, as the riffing of the movies has apparently greatly displeased Kadokawa, the owners of the Gamera franchise (even though Shout! Factory now has the rights to release the original versions of the Showa-era moves). Apparently, kaiju films are serious business in Japan. The other Japanese movies that were riffed that season have also reverted to their original owners, and will probably not see a release either, which is disappointing since they were some of my favorite episodes.

Not exactly a movie, but I've really been enjoying TCM's series Moguls and Movie Stars: A History of Hollywood.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by garnetblack View Post
    Not exactly a movie, but I've really been enjoying TCM's series Moguls and Movie Stars: A History of Hollywood.
    I've been watching that, too, off and on. It really is quite interesting.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Just saw the runaway train movie "Unstoppable" this evening; despite a bit of preposterousness, it certainly didn't qualify as a train wreck. (OK, I'll stop. It might take me a half-mile to do so, however. ) It was fun, suspenseful, and while on the exaggerated side - it could've easily been the dark mirror of the actual events it was inspired by. It certainly puts one in awe of the massive power of (1/2)*m*v^2.

All in all, I'd say Team Possible would've had their hands full with "The Crazy Sevens."
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Just caught Megamind. It's very well done and has plenty of material to keep adults entertained. Keep an ear open for literary quotes during the movie.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    I bought the extended version of "Avatar", which has an additional 16 minutes. It does add a lot, and makes the film go smoother as it adds back a lot of snippets her and there in which the timing was somewhat disrupted, although you wouldn't know it until you saw the extended version.

I also saw HP7.....Very dark, very much more realistic. And also hard to follow! Spoilers: I tried to tie it in to the end of HP6 (Half-Blood Prince), and it was a chore. I figured with Dumbledore's death at the end of HP6, everything would go to hell in a handbasket. But I could follow that Voldemort would simply take over. He took over the Ministry, over Hogwarts, and basically started looking to kill anyone who wasn't in his camp. Of course, the kids are running and hiding wherever they could while trying to figure out where the remaining horcruxes were and how to destroy them. And then there was the death toll. 'Mad-Eye" Moody, Dolby the Elf were prominent, and some others. And then Voldemort finally gets the Elder Wand at the end of this part.

But there was a lot going on in between like how this other wandmaker, Grigorivitch, got into the picture, and how did he get the Elder Wand? Who was the young thief and how did he figure in all this? I understood that a Patronus led Harry to the sword of Gryffindor, but whose spell was that? What the devil was Voldemort's pet snake doing in that house in Godric's Hollow? Just waiting on Harry so he could attack him, or was there more to it than that? And what about Dumbledore's brother? Why was he mentioned at all? And who the heck is this Mundungus character? He seems to have just come out of nowhere.

Anyway, I'm not really looking for answers. I suppose my questions will get answered with part II, and when I go over this with a fine tooth comb when it comes out on DVD, which I am sure will happen just before Part II comes out.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    I bought the extended version of "Avatar", which has an additional 16 minutes. It does add a lot, and makes the film go smoother as it adds back a lot of snippets her and there in which the timing was somewhat disrupted, although you wouldn't know it until you saw the extended version.

I also saw HP7.....Very dark, very much more realistic. And also hard to follow! Spoilers: I tried to tie it in to the end of HP6 (Half-Blood Prince), and it was a chore. I figured with Dumbledore's death at the end of HP6, everything would go to hell in a handbasket. But I could follow that Voldemort would simply take over. He took over the Ministry, over Hogwarts, and basically started looking to kill anyone who wasn't in his camp. Of course, the kids are running and hiding wherever they could while trying to figure out where the remaining horcruxes were and how to destroy them. And then there was the death toll. 'Mad-Eye" Moody, Dolby the Elf were prominent, and some others. And then Voldemort finally gets the Elder Wand at the end of this part.

But there was a lot going on in between like how this other wandmaker, Grigorivitch, got into the picture, and how did he get the Elder Wand? Who was the young thief and how did he figure in all this? I understood that a Patronus led Harry to the sword of Gryffindor, but whose spell was that? What the devil was Voldemort's pet snake doing in that house in Godric's Hollow? Just waiting on Harry so he could attack him, or was there more to it than that? And what about Dumbledore's brother? Why was he mentioned at all? And who the heck is this Mundungus character? He seems to have just come out of nowhere.
    Haha, most of those questions were also "WTF?!" moments for readers that got answered in the latter half of the book.
    As for the G.H. incident: Voldemort was waiting for them due to the significance of the place in Harry's life, just as Hermione had predicted (we were just listening to the beginning of the 7th book on audiotape during a trip). I think they also said "Voldemort" at some point in the conversation; using the Ministry resources, the Death Eaters have engineered that word to be a signal/trigger word (think CIA ECHELON wiretapping system) to send out a squad... Because the only people brave enough to say You-Know-Who's name are those who haven't been conditioned to fear him, and are more likely to resist him. Brilliant, really.

Mundungus showed up in the 5th and 6th books as a member of the Order of the Phoenix; he's got connections to get underhanded things done for the Order. He's always been a cowardly git, but he's had his uses.
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    I just bought the boxed set for "The World at War" from Borders. Using my 33% off coupon I received via e-mail, as well as the $15 in "Borders bucks" I accumulated through their Borders Rewards program, I ended up paying only $56 for an 11-disc set that normally cost $99.99!
    I just love getting a bargain.....

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    I watched Ratatouille on Disney Channel. It was pretty good.

Now I'm watching Aladdin.