Any Good Movies or DVDs? - starting Fall 2010 until ? - Page 45
Global Justice Alliance

Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Good Movies or DVDs? - starting Fall 2010 until ?

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Slow night last night (it was raining), so ended up watching The Cheyenne Social Club, which I hadn't seen in years. I'd forgotten how well the chemistry between Henry Fonda and Jimmy Stewart worked, the fact that they were close friends off screen was pretty obvious in the movie, they even spoofed their outside political orientations. Fonda's non-stop story on the ride between Texas, with locations shot outside Santé Fe, NM being a credible stand in for the Panhandle and parts of Wyoming, reminded me a lot of an old friend of mine.

Next up was Eagles In The Chicken Coop, an indie spoof of producing late night straight to cable exploitation flicks. Two high school friends bumble their way into making a movie for one of the production companies that specialize in making SciFi Movie type of productions. The pair, plus their crew of friends who do the other chores involved in making a movie, try to impose their artistic vision on the film. This is very much not what the production company wants and leads to a lot of funny confrontations between company and crew. It's presented as the subject of a documentary film by yet another company. Not hilarious, but not too bad.

Finally there was Fishing Naked, which is about a couple of friends who try to keep tourists off their favorite trout streams by staging fake Big Foot sightings, using a costume, by one, while the other spouts spiels to the victims about "Hairy Man".
    Later on, in company with a pair of girls they meet (one of whom espouses the naked fishing proposition of the title), start encountering evidence of a real hairy man in the area. It's pretty funny and features Elaine Miles who played Marilyn on Northern Exposure, as one of the guy's grandmother.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Last night I pulled out my DVD of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and watched that again.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    I recently caught an old movie form the 1970's, Where Eagles Dare, starring Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood. It was always a favorite of mine particularly due to the score of the movie by composer Ron Goodwin. The main theme of the movie had the same motif which rotated around different keys until it arrived back to the original key. It was a good theme too, and still is.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Honored Elder Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    I saw Zootopia yesterday, when I had some free time after a boat christening (SSN 787, USS WASHINGTON). Guys, go see it. (The movie, not the sub. :P) The animation and voice acting and story blew me away. I’m still thinking about it. Gonna have to see it again. It was that good.

And the outfit designs were stellar. Particularly Judy’s. She looked so crisp in her various police uniforms, and the texture in her sweater-undertank-yoga-pants combo had me in awe of the animators. And it was exactly the sort of loose, comfortable outfit that someone would pick after wearing a uniform all day.
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    So good to hear from you again, 'chutes. and I completely agree with you. I saw Zootopia this last Thursday, and it is definitely Disney at its best. It is not to be missed by anyone on this forum as far as I am concerned, and that includes you, LM. In all Grade A++, the definite winner of the Oscar for the best animated film next year.
    "Say the Word"

Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    So good to hear from you again, 'chutes. and I completely agree with you. I saw Zootopia this last Thursday, and it is definitely Disney at its best. It is not to be missed by anyone on this forum as far as I am concerned, and that includes you, LM. In all Grade A++, the definite winner of the Oscar for the best animated film next year.
    Like "Inside Out" won this year!!

I went to see Zootopia tonight, and I agree with jeriddian about this flick. It's great! It's a fun adventure, and it's laugh-out-loud funny! I urge you all to go and see it while it's still in cinemas. It's just plain fun!
    BTW, KP veterans JK Simmons (Martin Smarty) and John DiMaggio (Dr. Drakken, Motor Ed) both provide voices for characters in this film.

Rocky

I always intended to see this movie and never did until now.

40 years just kind of slipped away somewhere......

Quote Originally Posted by Beaglebub View Post
    Rocky

IMHO, Rocky II and Rocky III were good, as well. Rocky IV had some good parts, but I didn't like it as much as I did the previous films. They never included the Rocky theme ("Gonna Fly Now") at all in that movie, not even during the montage of training scenes before Rocky takes on Ivan Drago in the big fight at the film's climax. I haven't seen Rocky V at all; from what I've heard from those who did see it, it wasn't a very good movie. I did see Rocky Balboa, released in 2006, that takes place some thirty years after the events of the first picture. I enjoyed that one immensely, because it was a very character-driven film. It also acts as a kind of "capstone" to the whole Rocky Balboa saga. Or it did, until this past year's film Creed, in which Rocky Balboa comes out of retirement to train the son of Apollo Creed, who wants to become a professional boxer like his father.

Registered User Exalted Member Rob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaglebub View Post
    Rocky

IMHO, Rocky II and Rocky III were good, as well. Rocky IV had some good parts, but I didn't like it as much as I did the previous films. They never included the Rocky theme ("Gonna Fly Now") at all in that movie, not even during the montage of training scenes before Rocky takes on Ivan Drago in the big fight at the film's climax. I haven't seen Rocky V at all; from what I've heard from those who did see it, it wasn't a very good movie. I did see Rocky Balboa, released in 2006, that takes place some thirty years after the events of the first picture. I enjoyed that one immensely, because it was a very character-driven film. It also acts as a kind of "capstone" to the whole Rocky Balboa saga. Or it did, until this past year's film Creed, in which Rocky Balboa comes out of retirement to train the son of Apollo Creed, who wants to become a professional boxer like his father.
    I always found it a curious choice that Stallone went with the virtually unknown Vince DiCola for the soundtrack for Rocky IV instead of the usual series composer, Bill Conti. Still, I'm a fan of DiCola's score from The Transformers: The Movie, and I do like his Rocky IV score, even if it's lacking in the usual Rocky themes.

As for the movies themselves, I haven't yet seen Creed, but I've seen the rest. I definitely enjoy I-IV, and they all have their own merits. Rocky V, on the other hand... well, even Stallone himself recognizes that V failed pretty miserably in its attempt to end the series on a high note - and bear in mind the original ending would've had Rocky die at the end. That's probably why he named VI Rocky Balboa instead of Rocky VI - you could skip V altogether and go straight to VI without missing anything, and it's definitely a much better coda to the original series.`

I will say that there are still some decent moments in V. Specifically, Burgess Meredith coming back as Mickey via a flashback, and the climactic street brawl (though the way Mickey is intercut at one point in that sequence is kinda creepy). Overall, though, the film is uneven, the contrivance that sends Rocky back to the old neighborhood is mind-boggling to say the least, and it's painfully clear Tommy Morrison and Sage Stallone were making their acting debuts. I'd say watch that one once, and be done with it.