Any Good Movies or DVDs? - starting Fall 2010 until ? - Page 15
Global Justice Alliance

Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Good Movies or DVDs? - starting Fall 2010 until ?

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    I decided to see the re-issued "The Lion King" in 3D. It was nice to see a 3D effect, although it unfortunately was the type of 3D effect that was administered to a film after it was already done in 2D, which of course is not as effective as when the film is done originally as a 3D film. Nonetheless, it was still magnificent to see the film back on the big screen, and I think I enjoyed it even more for that fact.
    Ditto! I went to see it on Saturday evening in 3D... I'd wanted to go with friends but they had conflicts, so I went by myself. They all begged me to tell them how it was.

A small taste: http://youtu.be/xVJRho4GwYE?hd=1

That "boom!" never gets old... Like Jerridian said, they applied the 3D effect later, so they had to make a decision about how to stack the layers. Occasionally this resulted in a sharp-edged "cut-out" effect, but at least it didn't suffer from some of the depth-of-field issues that some native-3D films do.

I think I saw The Lion King in theaters during its original run, but I would have been four at the time and I don't remember it. My grandfather died shortly afterward (I think it was shortly afterward; it may have been some months afterward), and the whole "circle of life" theme of the movie really helped me figure out the life-death concept. Our VHS of it certainly got worn out, that's for sure!

Now I have something I can remember.... It is quite cool to have a packed theater of college kids laughing and cheering along with a Disney movie. And we all probably got a lot more of the jokes and pop-culture references that went over our heads at age five... Particularly the whole Nazi motif during Scar's song.
    It's almost a shame you weren't old enough (or were you even born?), when The Little Mermaid first premiered in 1989, since that was the first movie that signaled the compelte resurgence of Disney as a maker of major animated films for theatrical release since Walt died. For 20 plus years, Disney had languished into other areas before making that commitment to come back to what started them in the first place. That was such an event for me, even as a 35 year old adult. It was also an event for the public, being treated to the first full length feature hand drawn animated film from Disney in 23 years.
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    I decided to see the re-issued "The Lion King" in 3D. It was nice to see a 3D effect, although it unfortunately was the type of 3D effect that was administered to a film after it was already done in 2D, which of course is not as effective as when the film is done originally as a 3D film. Nonetheless, it was still magnificent to see the film back on the big screen, and I think I enjoyed it even more for that fact.
    Ditto! I went to see it on Saturday evening in 3D... I'd wanted to go with friends but they had conflicts, so I went by myself. They all begged me to tell them how it was.

A small taste: http://youtu.be/xVJRho4GwYE?hd=1

That "boom!" never gets old... Like Jerridian said, they applied the 3D effect later, so they had to make a decision about how to stack the layers. Occasionally this resulted in a sharp-edged "cut-out" effect, but at least it didn't suffer from some of the depth-of-field issues that some native-3D films do.

I think I saw The Lion King in theaters during its original run, but I would have been four at the time and I don't remember it. My grandfather died shortly afterward (I think it was shortly afterward; it may have been some months afterward), and the whole "circle of life" theme of the movie really helped me figure out the life-death concept. Our VHS of it certainly got worn out, that's for sure!

Now I have something I can remember.... It is quite cool to have a packed theater of college kids laughing and cheering along with a Disney movie. And we all probably got a lot more of the jokes and pop-culture references that went over our heads at age five... Particularly the whole Nazi motif during Scar's song.
    It's almost a shame you weren't old enough (or were you even born?), when The Little Mermaid first premiered in 1989, since that was the first movie that signaled the complete resurgence of Disney as a maker of major animated films for theatrical release since Walt died. For 20 plus years, Disney had languished into other areas before making that commitment to come back to what started them in the first place. That was such an event for me, even as a 35 year old adult. It was also an event for the public, being treated to the first full length feature hand drawn animated film from Disney in 23 years.
    Agreed! The Little Mermaid not only featured first-rate animation and excellent storytelling; it also featured a wonderful musical score - some of the best film songs I've ever heard! The music was composed by Alan Menken and lyrics by Howard Ashman, creators of the hit show and film Little Shop of Horrors. Two of the best songs in the film, IMHO, are when Ariel first sings "Part of Your World" in her secret grotto amongst her collection of trinkets from the surface world; and Sebastian's enthusiastic rendition of "Under the Sea" - that one's a show-stopper, for sure!
    Plus, that film's main character was a headstrong, red-headed teen-aged girl (sound familiar?)....

Oddly enough, Ariel's appearance and mannerisms were partially based on a Disney staffer, Sherri Stoner, probably best known as the voice of Slappy Squirrel on Animaniacs.

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Probably try to catch Contagion this weekend, I've heard varying reports, but don't see anything else that catches my attention, that I haven't already seen.

Still a bit disappointed in the ending of last week's Dr. Who.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Registered User Honored Elder Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    I know I'm seriously behind the curve, but my DVD of "Tangled" arrived yesterday!

My roommate is a huge Disney fan (he's a mechanical engineer and wants to work at Disney as an Imagineer) showed me the movie on Blu-Ray using his PS3 a few weeks ago. I really liked the soundtrack and gently-snarky wit, and the animation was aaaa-may-zing.

And Mother Gothel? I was positively cheering that Disney gave their villain some old-school grit. Using the male hero's love interest as bait, then knifing him in the back? Damn ruthless.
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Last night I watched my two-DVD set of the "Ed Sullivan Show" episodes featuring the Beatles from 1964 and 1965. I didn't play the entire episodes; there's a feature on the menu page that lets you play just the songs if you want - so that's what I did. It's like having your own live Beatles concert on video!

Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar
    Welcome to the tangled fan club, chutes. I know jeriddian and I both loved the movie. I have it on dvd and blu-ray. Wish i had 3d on my tv... I'd love to see it in 3d.
    I know I'm seriously behind the curve, but my DVD of "Tangled" arrived yesterday!

My roommate is a huge Disney fan (he's a mechanical engineer and wants to work at Disney as an Imagineer) showed me the movie on Blu-Ray using his PS3 a few weeks ago. I really liked the soundtrack and gently-snarky wit, and the animation was aaaa-may-zing.

And Mother Gothel? I was positively cheering that Disney gave their villain some old-school grit. Using the male hero's love interest as bait, then knifing him in the back? Damn ruthless.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar

Amen. And despite the fact it's a fairy tale, they kept it fresh through and through. I was especially delighted at the way they got the characters to convey their mutual love without actually having to say "I Love You". Very inventive. I still say this is the best animated movie Disney has ever done, period.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar
    If you like movies like the fast and the furious.... wow. FAST FIVE WAS AWESOME! The best of the Series I think. I won't spoil anything... just go watch it. I gave it 2

A few years ago, I saw Vin Diesel in that "Triple X" movie he did. They were running it in the film room at a convention I was attending. It was an OK action picture, and I loved the Pontiac GTO he drove in that film; but I don't think I'd go out and buy a copy on DVD.