Any Good Movies or DVDs? - starting Fall 2010 until ? - Page 28
Global Justice Alliance

Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Good Movies or DVDs? - starting Fall 2010 until ?

Registered User Honored Elder Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    I watched "Downfall" over the weekend. It was an extremely good movie, detailing the last 10 days of Hitler's life as the Russian Army closed in at the end of WWII. I highly recommend watching it; it's available for Instant Streaming on Netflix.

It's kind of bizarre to have a character speaking rationally and seeming reasonable and compassionate... and then he puts on his outercoat and you realize, holy sh*t, it's Himmler.

Ganz's portrayal of Hitler was absolutely chilling. I spent most of the evening digging through the Wikipedia bios of Hitler, Himmler, Goebbels, and the rest...
    I watched clips of Bob Ross late that night to cheer myself back up.

I find there's something important in knowing the people who ran the Third Reich weren't MechaHitlers or something - just sad, broken old men with delusions of glory.
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    'Chutes, if you really want to read more about Hitler, I can recommend two excellent books. The first one's titled Hitler: An Illustrated Biography by Robin Cross (Quercus Books, London 2009. ISBN 978-1-84866-032-8). It's only 224 pages in length, with plenty of black & white photographs from various points in Hitler's life. It's an excellent book to start with, considering the size of the second book I'm recommending. That one's titled Hitler: A Biography by Ian Kershaw (W.W. Norton & Company, New York, London 2008. ISBN 978-160751-999-7). This tome (which I'm currently reading) is 1030 pages long, and goes into considerably more detail than Robin Cross's book does. Even though I'm not even halfway through Mr. Kershaw's book yet, I feel it has given me more insight into just how an untalented, lazy nobody like Adolf Hitler managed to ascend to the height of power as Chancellor, and absolute ruler, of Germany.
    Mr. Kershaw's book is currently available in most bookstores.
    Mr. Cross's book, however, I bought in a boxed set (including a bonus DVD) at Borders several years ago from one of their clearance racks. IIRC, I paid only $7.99 for it when it originally retailed for about $25. Try Amazon.com, or else check your local used bookstore. It's worth looking for due to its shorter length (it still gives you a concise account of der Fuhrer's life, regardless). And, like I said above, it's a good place to start.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    I find there's something important in knowing the people who ran the Third Reich weren't MechaHitlers or something - just sad, broken old men with delusions of glory.
    Oh, no, 'chutes. They were far worse than that. The Nazi's doctrine of racial purity and the vicious efficiency they exhibited in murdering the millions of people in the name of that doctrine put them amongst the most evil of people in history. I'm sure they were sad and broken at the end. Their delusions of glory were always there. But they do epiomize the best modern definition of pure evil there is. I do get this sense that the farther away from that timeline we get, the younger generations start to lose the sense of just how horrific and evil they were. Not that I blame the younger generations for that, It's just that time will lessen the impact of that history to the succeeding generations. You can already see it in the succeeding generations here in the US in how the Civil War is viewed. The feelings are not as intense now as they were a century ago.
    "Say the Word"

Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    Oh, no, 'chutes. They were far worse than that. The Nazi's doctrine of racial purity and the vicious efficiency they exhibited in murdering the millions of people in the name of that doctrine put them amongst the most evil of people in history. I'm sure they were sad and broken at the end. Their delusions of glory were always there. But they do epiomize the best modern definition of pure evil there is. I do get this sense that the farther away from that timeline we get, the younger generations start to lose the sense of just how horrific and evil they were. Not that I blame the younger generations for that, It's just that time will lessen the impact of that history to the succeeding generations. You can already see it in the succeeding generations here in the US in how the Civil War is viewed. The feelings are not as intense now as they were a century ago.
    Jeriddian's right, 'chutes. As time goes by, the memories of those horrific events fade as the eyewitnesses die off, and the generations who follow read about them only in the history books and on the web.
    And at the time they joined Hitler and his Nazi Party, most of his followers were fairly young men - in their twenties or thirties; some, like Hitler himself, had served in the German military in World War I and were embittered by their homeland's defeat in that conflict as well as the punitive terms of the Versailles Treaty of 1919 imposed upon Germany by the victorious Allies. Between that defeat, and the global depression that wracked the world after the stock market crash of 1929, many Germans were ready to follow Hitler when he told them he was Germany's only hope for salvation. He promised to rebuild Germany, and lead that country to greater heights of glory than it had ever seen, if the German people agreed to give him absolute power as their dictator. Sadly, they believed his promises and the rest, as they say, is history. There were some "old men" who signed up with Hitler in the 1920's and 30's, but most of those either died off or retired shortly afterward. Some veteran military officers with decades of experience served the Third Reich during WWII, but many of those either died in combat or of natural causes (not to mention the veteran generals and officers who were executed for joining in the various attempts to assassinate Hitler and overthrow his government during those years).
    Whatever "sad, broken old men with delusions of glory" there were, were the ones who survived the war - most of whom fled Germany and went to live in Argentina rather than face arrest and trial for war crimes back home.

Tonight I viewed a DVD I burned last night off the National Geographic channel. It was a two-hour documentary titled Killing Lincoln, hosted and narrated by Tom Hanks. It told of the plot hatched by John Wilkes Booth to kill Pres. Lincoln, Vice President Johnson, and Secretary of State Seward and thus decapitate the Union government in retaliation for the South's defeat in the Civil War. It was very well done, too - they had actors portraying all the principals in the story - Lincoln; Booth; Seward, etc., as they reenacted the events of April 14 to 26, 1865 (from the night Lincoln was shot to the morning Booth died outside that tobacco barn where he'd fled after the assassination).
    Of course, anything with Tom Hanks in it (or producing it) has to be a quality project, so...

I dug out an old favorite: My Favorite Year starring Peter O'Toole, Joseph Bologna, and Mark-Linn Baker. A writer on a TV comedy show in the mid-1950's (Baker) is assigned to "baby-sit" a major film star (O'Toole) who's guest-starring on his program because said film star is a heavy drinker. Much hilarity ensues....

Re: Any Good Movies or DVDs? - starting Fall 2010 until ?

I treated myself to a science fiction "double feature" last night - I watched 2010: The Year We Make Contact (1984); and then Star Trek: The Motion Picture - The Director's Cut.

Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar

Well, Do Blu-Rays qualify in this section? Once you go BD... you never go back to DVD. But as far as good movies go... Wreck-It-Ralph was comical... and being a big video game fan I found it very intersting all the charaters that were in this movie. And Brave made my top 5 List of animated films. The story line, Charaters, Culture, and scenery/animation were all top shelf. I have Scottish blood from my moms side of the family... maybe that's why I liked it so much and so did my Grandmother . This movie also inspired me to try archery which apparently I'm not to bad at. Looking forward to getting the Hobbit... saw that in theater and loved it. Might get skyfall as well.

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar

My TV set is old enough to make Blue Ray a pointless endeavor.

Watched a DVD of the 1930s version of The Four Feathers last night, I've been on a Victorian British empire kick lately.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Registered User Exalted Member Rob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud23465 View Post
    Well, Do Blu-Rays qualify in this section? Once you go BD... you never go back to DVD. But as far as good movies go... Wreck-It-Ralph was comical... and being a big video game fan I found it very intersting all the charaters that were in this movie. And Brave made my top 5 List of animated films. The story line, Charaters, Culture, and scenery/animation were all top shelf. I have Scottish blood from my moms side of the family... maybe that's why I liked it so much and so did my Grandmother . This movie also inspired me to try archery which apparently I'm not to bad at. Looking forward to getting the Hobbit... saw that in theater and loved it. Might get skyfall as well.
    I'd say BDs count. I got the Blu-Ray for Wreck-It Ralph over the weekend. I'd seen it in the theaters already, so after my first viewing, I loaned it to my sister's family, since they somehow managed to miss it in theaters.

It was interesting to watch the deleted scenes, which were really just animated storyboards with voice recordings and sound effects. It's curious to see the different tack they were taking early on, compared to the final product. I think the final version ended up working out better, though.

I also watched the BD of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, which my sister got (she's a big fan of the works of Tolkien).