General KP Thread 12: Kimper Fi; Carry On Some More
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: General KP Thread 12: Kimper Fi; Carry On Some More

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar

General KP Thread 12: Kimper Fi; Carry On Some More

Quoted from NinjaNaco's post in previous thread (now closed):
    Having watched "Hidden Talent" recently, a quandary came to mind:

When Kim transportulated from Drakken's lair to the MHS backstage, did anything, metaphysically, happen to her? Was the Kim who sang onstage the same individual who had tied up Drakken and Shego a few minutes earlier, or did Kim in fact die when she began the transportulation process, and the girl materializing in Middleton merely a copy of the original Kim? (A while back GateWorld addressed similar concerns regarding such devices as the Stargate franchise's titular orifice and Star Trek's transporter.)

What do you think?
    I personally think it's the same Kim who tied up Drakken and Shego prior to phoning the MHS backstage line. How I think the transportulator works is that it opens a "tunnel" in the fabric of space/time whose other end is determined by the location of the telephone one's calling. The transportulator "pulls" the caller into said tunnel, and when someone on the other end of the line answers the phone, the tunnel's "exit" opens and the caller is expelled back into his/her reality. So I don't think Kim died and got copied when she transportulated.

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    From discussions with the physists at work (lunchtime discussions are a little different) teleportation would involve breaking down the original object into componant atoms, copying them and transmitting them as electrons either in the form of radio waves, a light signal, such as a laser, or over a wire. Atoms on the other end would be assembled as a copy ( Heisenberg and a number of other probability related effects then come into play, making an exact copy questionable, but that is a rather lengthy discussion). Assuming an exact duplicate is possible, one question I have is, assuming the data stream is broadcast as an omnidirectional signal, what happens if there are multiple recievers?
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    From discussions with the physists at work (lunchtime discussions are a little different) teleportation would involve breaking down the original object into componant atoms, copying them and transmitting them as electrons either in the form of radio waves, a light signal, such as a laser, or over a wire. Atoms on the other end would be assembled as a copy ( Heisenberg and a number of other probability related effects then come into play, making an exact copy questionable, but that is a rather lengthy discussion). Assuming an exact duplicate is possible, one question I have is, assuming the data stream is broadcast as an omnidirectional signal, what happens if there are multiple receivers?
    In this case, you'd get an army of Kim clones!
    (- Drakken's wish from "Kimitation Nation" come true!:P)

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    What if you connected the Transportulator to one of those robo-calling machines that annoy people all day?

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    What if you connected the Transportulator to one of those robo-calling machines that annoy people all day?
    They'd stop being annoying.

One question I have is, assuming the data stream is broadcast as an omnidirectional signal, what happens if there are multiple recievers?
    Hm. ...Splinching?
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

I have no clue....I just assume that on Star Trek they have perfected transporters and all issues have been resolved. Same for the telephone thing in Hidden Talent.

Personally I try not to think about Kim dying at all. If I dwell on it, I end up sleepless for days.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    They'd stop being annoying.

One question I have is, assuming the data stream is broadcast as an omnidirectional signal, what happens if there are multiple recievers?
    Hm. ...Splinching?
    Well, it would be a big improvement over pitches for time shares and extended car warranties. I'm left with visions of thousands of Kims emerging from people's telephones (better than Ron, though, I wouldn't want to have to feed him).

Splinching: probably an artifact from using my laptop, it often does weird things when I rest part of my hand on an unintended function key. Hopefully I'll be able to afford a new desktop, or at least a larger laptop, after I've done my taxes, since the old desktop has gone to Elvis, as Kinky Friedman puts it).
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Originally posted by kyojikasshu:
    (Originally Posted by NinjaNaco: What do you think?)
    I think part Rule of Cool, part Bellisario's Maxim, and part MST3K Mantra.
    Okay - I'll bite: What's Bellisario's Maxim? Does that have anything to do with Donald Bellisario, the TV producer?

Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Originally posted by kyojikasshu:
    (Originally Posted by NinjaNaco: What do you think?)
    I think part Rule of Cool, part Bellisario's Maxim, and part MST3K Mantra.
    Okay - I'll bite: What's Bellisario's Maxim? Does that have anything to do with Donald Bellisario, the TV producer?
    Via TVTropes (the planet's greatest time waster):

Bellisario's Maxim

Don't examine this too closely. You don't listen very well, do you?*

Said by producer Donald P Bellisario at an early-1990s SF convention in response to a persistent fan with very specific questions about the way things worked on Bellisario's series Quantum Leap. An unashamed admission of handwaving details unnecessary to the enjoyment of a show, and an exhortation to not let the obsession with those details get in the way of the story. Implicit in the Maxim is a request to understand that the story is being told by a small production team that (due to the limitations of the medium) has to work quickly, with limited budget and tight deadlines, and has to dodge Executive Meddling, all while trying to turn out the best product it can.

Frequently quoted in various fan communities in response to excessive Fan Wank and Did Not Do The Research, and to arguments about Canon, Fanon and the Word Of God.

Registered User Veteran Member NinjaNaco's Avatar

Smile

Well, I don't think Kim dwelt on the metaphyiscal aspects of teleportation when she transportulated to the talent show.

Though I can see the tweebs bringing them up on the ride home.