Gadget Corner
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gadget Corner

Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar

Gadget Corner

Well, as we all know, cell phones, computers, TVs... ect. I figured we could start a section just for stuff like this.

I just figured something out today with computers. With windows 7 home premium... it only supports 16gbs of ram. If you want more, you have to get Professional or ultimate... kinda weird.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    I know how you feel, Cloud. When I bought my Office 2007 software back in December 2009, I found to my dismay that I needed to upgrade my RAM chips in order to run that software. So I purchased bigger ones, and a larger hard drive, at Fry's. Those things, plus the software itself, cost me a few bucks but I figured it was worth it if it helped me get a job.

I'll be honest... it seems the more I learn about computers... the less likely I'm going to build one. There seems to be alot about compatablity issues I don't even know about. I would of never guessed that version of Windows 7 had RAM limitations. I knew in order to get more the 4gbs of RAM you had to have a 64-bit OS. After that I though it was just limited to how much the Motherboard could hold. Seems I learned something new but, it also proves I still have alot to learn.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud23465 View Post
    I'll be honest... it seems the more I learn about computers... the less likely I'm going to build one. There seems to be alot about compatablity issues I don't even know about. I would of never guessed that version of Windows 7 had RAM limitations. I knew in order to get more the 4gbs of RAM you had to have a 64-bit OS. After that I though it was just limited to how much the Motherboard could hold. Seems I learned something new but, it also proves I still have alot to learn.
    But in truth, there's almost no reason to get more than 16 Gb of RAM anyway. In fact, virtually every program you run actually won't need more than the original 4 Gb which was the limit you had with a 32 bit OS. The programs that requires huge amounts of RAM are things like Server specific OS's, heavy graphcs crunching programs such as Maya or 3DS-Max, or programs like SONAR, which are all specialized programs which are professional level platforms that often take very extensive training just to know how to use. And these programs would do absolutely fine with 16 Gb RAM. About the only application which would require huge amounts of RAM would be heavy duty servers for major corporations, government departments, and similar large staffed organizations that have to field thousands to millions of requests for their services every day. These huge servers could require as much as 128 Gb of RAM needed for their purposes. They have made motherboards that big with room for as many as four CPU's, which are not available to the public.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit) on my laptop, available for free through my university. (Provided I don't drop out, of course. Then I'd have to give all the nice software back. )

And thanks to Readyboost and a Black Friday sale on SD cards and flash drives, I'm currently running on 36 GB of RAM.

Recently I got a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard to extend the life of my trackpad and keyboard. And I've got a wireless printer, so I can print from any couch in the house.
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit) on my laptop, available for free through my university. (Provided I don't drop out, of course. Then I'd have to give all the nice software back. )

And thanks to Readyboost and a Black Friday sale on SD cards and flash drives, I'm currently running on 36 GB of RAM.

Recently I got a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard to extend the life of my trackpad and keyboard. And I've got a wireless printer, so I can print from any couch in the house.
    That's insane.

Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    But in truth, there's almost no reason to get more than 16 Gb of RAM anyway. In fact, virtually every program you run actually won't need more than the original 4 Gb which was the limit you had with a 32 bit OS. The programs that requires huge amounts of RAM are things like Server specific OS's, heavy graphcs crunching programs such as Maya or 3DS-Max, or programs like SONAR, which are all specialized programs which are professional level platforms that often take very extensive training just to know how to use. And these programs would do absolutely fine with 16 Gb RAM. About the only application which would require huge amounts of RAM would be heavy duty servers for major corporations, government departments, and similar large staffed organizations that have to field thousands to millions of requests for their services every day. These huge servers could require as much as 128 Gb of RAM needed for their purposes. They have made motherboards that big with room for as many as four CPU's, which are not available to the public.
    Yea, I'm sure 16 would be enough but, I am wondering though... With these new processors... do they need less ram to still get the job done now? This HP Desktop I saw at Sams yesterday, I looked up the specs and it only hold a max of 8gbs.

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    ... so I can print from any couch in the house.
    The prospect of needing to print from multiple couches, in the same house, is a bit troubling (though printing from any couch in any house in the neighborhood is conceptually even worse).....
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm sure 16 would be enough but, I am wondering though... With these new processors... do they need less ram to still get the job done now? This HP Desktop I saw at Sams yesterday, I looked up the specs and it only hold a max of 8gbs.
    The advancement of technology of the CPU's actually has little to do with the amount of RAM you use. The only limitation is the RAM hardware requirements of the motherboard. There is a base minimum you must have just to run the computer, and then there's a maximum. That's a function of the motherboard design whcih will allow only certain RAM sticks to be used. In the most modern case, you're looking at DDR3 sticks, which, I think, the minimum is going to be 2 GB. So yes, the computer with a modern i7 960 quad core like my desktop could run fine on 2 Gb, as long as I don't do too much with it, such as doing just email, web surfing, etc. Microsoft Office, Excel, etc., and not much else. But as soon as I do anything memory intensive, it's going to bog down real hard, real fast. My motherboard has a maximum capability of 16 Gb (4Gb x 4), but it's DDR3 or 3 channel RAM, which works best with multiples of three, (which means that 12 Gb will actually run better than the full 16 Gb), so right now it only has three sticks or 12 Gb RAM, which is more than enough for anything a consumer can throw at it, or even that I and my professional software can throw at it. . 8 Gb on those HP's is more than enough to handle anything you throw at it, Cloud.
    "Say the Word"

I used to keep up with burners but, I've fallen out of the loop as far as what is at good brand and which one is a great paper weight / coaster maker. When I go to blu-ray Im going to get a burner. Its the same way I do my dvds. Buy the movie, make a copy and watch the copy so the orginal is always almost mint. I've Used NEC dvd burners for years. only had 1 fail on me (after alot of use though) NEC doesn't list a blu-ray burner so... They list... Sony, LG, Lite-on and Pioneer.... I know Sonys quality with tvs and game systems... wonder if there computer componets are as good. The reviews on Newegg seem to be about the same... 4-5 egg reviews for most of the drives. Any recommendations?

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    ... so I can print from any couch in the house.
    The prospect of needing to print from multiple couches, in the same house, is a bit troubling (though printing from any couch in any house in the neighborhood is conceptually even worse).....

I'm renting a room at a house in Blacksburg for summer classes, and for a three-bedroom house, they've got at least four couches - two in the family room and three in storage in the basement. :P
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.