What are you currently reading? Volume 4: - Page 36
Global Justice Alliance

Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading? Volume 4:

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar

Re: What are you currently reading? Volume 4:

Well, I just finished the new Honorverse book by David Weber and Timothy Zahn, A Call To Duty. It looks like an excellent series. I'm looking forward to the future volumes that come out. Nice backstory start to the entire Honor Harrington Saga.
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar

I put aside the Lindbergh book over the weekend and read a paperback I bought at the convention - Orbital Decay by Allen Steele. This tome, published back in 1989, concerns a group of construction workers on an orbital platform building a group of communication satellites for a global telephone net. Things get interesting when some of the workers find out the NSA is secretly testing a spy system that utilizes this comm net for a more sinister purpose - one that threatens the privacy and freedom of everyone in the U.S. of A.

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar

Donovan, A Terrible Glory, Custer and the Yellowstone campaign.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back by Ian Doescher. It's Star Wars the Way the Bard would probably have written it. It's the middle volume in a trilogy; the first and third volumes are William Shakespeare's Star Wars (Verily, A New Hope), and William Shakespeare's The Jedi Doth Return. Great fun to read!

I just finished reading Henry Bushkin's book, Johnny Carson. Mr. Bushkin was Carson's lawyer for 18 years before they had a falling-out in 1988. (Carson occasionally joked about him in his monologues - he was the basis for "Bombastic Bushkin," the investment counselor who got Johnny involved in all sorts of crazy schemes.)
    He mainly talks about what a mercurial personality Johnny had - friendly, kind and generous one minute; then rude, caustic and downright nasty the next. He theorizes that Johnny had problems maintaining personal relationships because his mother was very hard to please. He could never win her approval for anything; even when he was able as a successful adult to send her and his dad off on expensive vacations or buy them lavish gifts. Nothing could please the woman.
    That's probably why he married and divorced so many times.
    The saddest thing I read in the book was that when Johnny died in Cedars-Sinai Medical Center on January 24, 2005, he died alone - no family or friends by his side as he breathed his last.
    He was loved by millions as an entertainer, yet he managed to drive away all the people who meant the most to him. Ironic, isn't it?
    Last edited by TransWarpDrive; 04-13-2015 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Misspelled the author's name (oops)....

I just finished rereading Jimmy Stewart: Bomber Pilot by Starr Smith. It tells of Mr. Stewart's military service during World War II, flying B-24 Liberator bombers on missions against the Germans out of England. He flew 20 bombing sorties on targets in occupied Europe and Germany itself before the war ended. He then went on to serve in the Air Force Reserve after the war, retiring in the late 1960's with the rank of Brigadier General.

I just finished rereading Peter David's novelization of the Iron Man script (first movie). Now I'm going to start on The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic-Book Scare and How It Changed America by David Hajdu.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar

I don't know if anyone is into this, but I just finished reading a trilogy of novels. The setting is Japanese Steampunk..... ......... .....yeah, I know, seems weird. But it actually isn't that strange once you get into the story. The author is Jay Kristoff, a first time author. The series is The Lotus War. The three books are Stormdancer, Kinslayer, and Endsinger. It is one heck of a combination of 19th century industrial tech mixed with Japanese mythology and culture, and it works pretty good. Loved the ending also. If you can get into this sort of thing, I recommend it.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar

Patterson's Man Eaters Of Tsavo, if you've seen the movie Ghost And The Darkness, it's a somewhat fictionalized version of Patterson's experiences (it also doesn't mention that the bridge was destroyed by the Germans in WWI). Pretty cool story. On an adventure travel kick just now, probably due to a slight touch of Winter induced cabin fever.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

I'm rereading one of my Harrington books: Echoes of Honor, where Honor and her friends are in hiding on the Peep prison planet Hades while everyone in the Alliance thinks she's dead. It's one of my favorites, partly because it reminds me of C.S. Forester's third Hornblower book, Flying Colors, where Hornblower escapes from a French prison then takes refuge in a sympathetic nobleman's house in France while preparing to return to England.
    I think David Weber used the Hornblower books - as well as the life of British Admiral Horatio Nelson - as inspiration for this series of books. I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere....