What are you currently reading? Volume 4: - Page 47
Global Justice Alliance

Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading? Volume 4:

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Yeah, it has been silent. Most of the reading I've been doing lately is on COVID-19, trying get the best up to date informatin on the virus.
    "Say the Word"

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Currently rereading an old Clive Cussler novel: Medusa, published in 2009.

As usual with Cussler the plot of this one is utterly preposterous: NUMA operatives Kurt Austin and Joe Zavala stop China from releasing a deadly coronavirus created in a virology lab.

Last edited by campy; 04-18-2020 at 05:56 PM.

Mostly student essays I'll have a few weeks before having to prep for Summer B session so I think I'm going to go back and read some of Gordon R. Dickson's Dorsai series. I'm a fan of classic sci fi lit.

Quote Originally Posted by David Falkayn View Post
    Mostly student essays I'll have a few weeks before having to prep for Summer B session so I think I'm going to go back and read some of Gordon R. Dickson's Dorsai series. I'm a fan of classic sci fi lit.
    I know that series somewhat. I think I read the first book, but it was a long time ago. I don't remember much. I have been rereading the Darkover series by Marion Zimmer Bradley in publication order. You can't really go by a chronological order.
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    A few weeks ago, I bought and re-read a book I originally read in high school: Clear The Fast Lane, by Douglas Rutherford. It's about a professional race driver in Great Britain who's hired to drive a young woman, her male companion, and a mysterious wooden box from England to Greece in thirty hours and back within that same time limit. And they're being followed by a bunch of guys who want to kill them.
    It's an excellent read; a high-speed chase novel that you won't be able to put down. It's very much like Stephen L. Thompson's 1980 novel, Recovery, in which a young American soldier on his first deployment at the U.S. Military Liaison Mission in Potsdam, East Germany has to single-handedly carry off a mission to rescue a downed American pilot after his partner is wounded while they're on what started out as a training mission.

I'm also awaiting two new books (well, new for me, anyway!): Wait For Signs and The Cold Dish by Craig Johnson. They're the first two books in Mr. Johnson's Walt Longmire mystery series. Walt Longmire is a sheriff in the fictional Absaroka County in Wyoming. Longmire solves crimes near the Northern Cheyenne Indian Reservation with the help of his longtime friend, Henry Standing Bear.
    The book series was adapted into a TV show running on the A&E network from 2012 to 2014, then on Netflix from 2015 to 2017 after A&E cancelled it. I got interested in the show after a friend of mine was binge-watching a bunch of episodes on her cable TV when I went to visit her a month ago. The episodes were well-written, with believable characters portrayed by some very good actors (including Lou Diamond Phillips as Henry Standing Bear). I found myself intrigued by the show, and when I learned how many books Mr. Johnson wrote about the Longmire character, I thought I'd give them a try.
    I expect the first two tomes to arrive in the mail about April 26 or 27 - at least, that's the projected arrival date my Amazon account gave me when I placed my order.
    Something new to read - always a pleasure for a bookworm like me!
    EDIT: I forgot to mention - I just purchased the sixth and final season to Longmire (the TV show) on DVD last weekend after I spotted it at my local Smarty-Mart. Now all I have to do is get the first five seasons!
    Last edited by TransWarpDrive; 04-22-2020 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Added an additional tidbit about the show.

Longmire is an excellent series. I enjoyed it immensely. Still reading the Darkover series, now on The Bloody Sun.
    "Say the Word"

Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Longmire is an excellent series. I enjoyed it immensely. Still reading the Darkover series, now on The Bloody Sun.
    I assume you're talking about the TV show, right?

Yes, the TV series. I haven't read the books.
    "Say the Word"

Just got my desk copy for the text books we're using this summer. Not impressed, glad we're going to different books in the fall.

Like I mentioned over in How Was Your Day?, I got my two Longmire books in the mail today, and I started right in on the first one, Wait For Signs. After just three short stories, I can already say that this is good stuff. Looking forward to the rest of them.....