What are you currently reading? Volume 4: - Page 46
Global Justice Alliance

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546

Thread: What are you currently reading? Volume 4:

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Having finished rereading Beat To Quarters, Ship Of The Line and Flying Colors, I decided to read a non-fiction book by C.S. Forester. It's titled The Age Of Fighting Sail: The Story of the Naval War of 1812. I bought it a few years ago at a used-book store.
    Mr. Forester wrote more books than I thought he did! In looking on-line to find where I can buy new copies of my Hornblower books (my paperback copies are over 40 years old and falling apart), I discovered his bibliography. He wrote historical fiction, some murder mysteries, non-fiction on various topics - a nice long list.
    Now I want to hunt these books down, and give them a read.

I just finished reading Ian Doescher's Star Wars/Shakespeare adaptation book, The Force Doth Awaken. Again, he does an excellent job of translating the Star Wars saga into plays that the Bard would have written (if George Lucas had hired him to do so! ). It's fun to see how he adapts dialog for each character into Shakespearean prose - it presents the saga in a whole new light. I'm about to start his latest tome, Jedi The Last.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Don't forget, TWD, the new Honor Harrington book comes out on October 2. It's called "Uncompromising Honor".
    "Say the Word"

Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Don't forget, TWD, the new Honor Harrington book comes out on October 2. It's called "Uncompromising Honor".
    I knew it was coming out soon, but I wasn't aware of the date. Thanks for letting me know!

Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    I knew it was coming out soon, but I wasn't aware of the date. Thanks for letting me know!
    Sure thing. And BTW, I read the whole thing in 2 days. all I can say is.....WOW! I won't reveal spoilers, but man, have things finally moved along.....
    "Say the Word"

I just finished reading Uncompromising Honor, and boy, was jeriddian right. "WOW!" sums it up quite nicely. Without revealing any spoilers, let me just say that Mr. Weber has indeed "moved things along," bringing some plot threads to unexpectedly swift conclusions while leaving others going on to explore in future books. And Mr. Weber has said that he wants to continue exploring the Honorverse in said future books, highlighting characters who've only been supporting characters before. He's also doing the Stephanie Harrington books, as well as that "Call To Duty" series that takes place several hundred years before the time of Honor & Co. - during the Royal Manticoran Navy's infancy - so we'll have those to look forward to as well. Also, there's supposed to be another Honorverse companion book, titled House Of Lies, which gives us the histories of the Republic of Haven and the Andermani Empire, but as yet I have no idea when that tome will finally be published.
    Overall, I'd have to say that this book was a satisfactory finale. He's concluded this series in a way that "leaves the door open" for future novels.
    And that's all I'm going to say right now. Go read the book, so you'll know what I'm talking about!

Oh, I don't think it's the finale, TWD. I've got a sneaking suspicion there's still two or three more left in Honor's immediate future. However, I wouldn't be surprised if a certain malign "alignment" suddenly lays low for several years or even a few decades before their next 'phase' occurs. But as you have implied, I can also see this as a possible finale for Honor herself, and not see the enemy rear its ugly head up for even a century or so, at which point it will be Honor's children who take up the mantle of the Salamander to defend the Empire, as David Weber had mentioned in the afterword. But I really would like to see a final confrontation between Honor and the Detweilers.
    "Say the Word"

Well, Mr. Weber himself said this was the wrap-up of the "Honor Harrington" series, so I think that means it's the last book in which she's the main character. But like you, I also suspect that she'll turn up from time to time in other tales down the line, lending a hand to the Grand Alliance in their battle against the Detweilers and their minions. I, for one, would love to see the Mesans screw up and give the Alliance the opportunity to take them down once and for all. I'm getting tired of seeing them get away with all these sneak attacks as well as all their behind-the-scenes meddling. They've had the upper hand for far too long, IMHO, and I'd like to see them get crushed.

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    I'm rereading the Aubrey/Maturin series from Patrick O'Brian. I bought a set in paperback and I'm also buying Kindle versions. Up to #2, Post Captain, now.