My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Page 10
Global Justice Alliance

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Registered User Exalted Member Rob's Avatar
    tweebČ, what I've generally heard from a number of people is that they recommend going past the opening episodes, get into the meat of the series a bit more, and judge it accordingly then. Personally, I knew I was in trouble (i.e. starting to get hooked) around "Swarm of the Century"...

On the S3 premiere, it was decent enough... definitely not quite as epic as the S2 two-parters. And, is it just me, or shouldn't something called the Crystal Empire be a little more vast than, I dunno, one city and its outlying suburbs?

Also...

One of these ponies is not like the others, one of these ponies doesn't belong...

Registered User Honored Elder Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tweebČ View Post
    I watched the first ep. It might be one of the weakest because is the one that introduces us to the world.

This aimed a little too hard at little kids for me to work, I mean shouldn't have they waited one more episode to let them realize that they are friends and like each other? I felt it was a little rushed...

What do you think, should I give it a second try?
    Certainly. I agree that the two-part pilot is weak. It's a common complaint that the two-parters have pacing issues. In this one, the writers had to drop an entire new world and series on us, and they were still trying to nail down the characters and their personalities. But by episode 5 or 6, they began to hit their stride, and the middle and end of Season 1 are fantastic.

I didn't start to get hooked until Episode #4: "Applebuck Season." The way Applejack becomes sleep-deprived reminds me of my life at college!

(Fun fact: "Applejack" is a name for a high-firepower hard cider.)

Other really popular episodes are "Boast Busters" (features an impressive use of magic), "Winter Wrap Up" (Nerdy Twilight & a fantastic song), "Suited for Success" (more great songs; gave me a new perspective on Rarity), "Stare Master" (never have I seen a "kids show" episode flip from adorable to F***KING TERRIFYING with such effectiveness), and "Sonic Rainboom." (one of the best episodes of the series. Rainbow Dash is a BAMF. )
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Registered User Exalted Member Rob's Avatar
    What amazes me is how quickly the fandom throws stuff out there... for example, this video posted Saturday afternoon. (It amuses me because of the Mega Man 5 reference.)

Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Heck, I even bought one of those McDonald's MLP:FiM "Happy Meal" toys from a dealer I met at the con today! It was a figure of Applejack, about an inch and a half long by two inches tall, and it cost me five bucks. I remember hearing about the toy promotion back in Late February - early March of this year, but by the time I knew of it, it was too late and McD's was pulling those toys off the market and replacing them with something else. I was very disappointed at having missed that opportunity, so when I spied the pile of "Happy Meal" toys on that dealer's table today, I seized the opportunity to buy the Applejack figure. I think he has a Rainbow Dash figure as well - maybe I'll purchase it tomorrow....

Wal Mart is supposed to have a "Pinkie Pie & Friends Mini Collection" for sale right now. They look like a box of 12 small plastic pony figures. These are exclusive to Walmart stores and are 20 bucks. If I were a fan I'd probably get those.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaglebub View Post
    Heck, I even bought one of those McDonald's MLP:FiM "Happy Meal" toys from a dealer I met at the con today! It was a figure of Applejack, about an inch and a half long by two inches tall, and it cost me five bucks. I remember hearing about the toy promotion back in Late February - early March of this year, but by the time I knew of it, it was too late and McD's was pulling those toys off the market and replacing them with something else. I was very disappointed at having missed that opportunity, so when I spied the pile of "Happy Meal" toys on that dealer's table today, I seized the opportunity to buy the Applejack figure. I think he has a Rainbow Dash figure as well - maybe I'll purchase it tomorrow....

Wal Mart is supposed to have a "Pinkie Pie & Friends Mini Collection" for sale right now. They look like a box of 12 small plastic pony figures. These are exclusive to Walmart stores and are 20 bucks. If I were a fan I'd probably get those.
    Thanks for the tip, Beaglebub! I'll have to check that out. BTW, I did buy that Rainbow Dash figure from the dealer at the con on Sunday. It was still sealed in its plastic bag, and came with a clear plastic stand to pose the figure on, and a combination backpack ring/comb - one can comb the pony's tail with it, and also use the ring to clip the figure to a bookbag/backpack.

Registered User Honored Elder Fireand'chutes77's Avatar

Thanks for the tip, Beaglebub! I'll have to check that out. BTW, I did buy that Rainbow Dash figure from the dealer at the con on Sunday. It was still sealed in its plastic bag, and came with a clear plastic stand to pose the fiure on, and a combination backpack ring/comb - one can comb the pony's tail with it, and also use the ring to clip the figure to a bookbag/backpack.
    Heh. Your use of the word "dealer" reminds me of this:

Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post

Thanks for the tip, Beaglebub! I'll have to check that out. BTW, I did buy that Rainbow Dash figure from the dealer at the con on Sunday. It was still sealed in its plastic bag, and came with a clear plastic stand to pose the fiure on, and a combination backpack ring/comb - one can comb the pony's tail with it, and also use the ring to clip the figure to a bookbag/backpack.
    Heh. Your use of the word "dealer" reminds me of this:

Well, collecting merchandise can become an addiction, or at least an obsession, if one's not careful. I remember searching high and low for any KP merchandise I could get my hands on back when the show was still running on Disney Channel. I don't know how many times I went through the toy aisles at my local Wal-Mart, just to see if there was any KP stuff available. Occasionally I'd get lucky, finding a new fashion doll or mini-doll set to add to my collection. But as time went by, my searches came up empty. Now I'm kicking myself for not picking up KP items I saw for sale when I had the chance.
    And yes; we do refer to the SF and fantasy-related merchants at conventions as "dealers." Another name they're known by is "hucksters," although that one has fallen out of use in recent years. But the term as used here doesn't carry a drug connotation so much as it does an association with merchants in general - for instance, a person or business that sells automobiles is generally referred to as a "car dealer," because they "deal" in the business of buying and selling motor vehicles. Other examples: computer dealer, who sells and buys computers; a stamp dealer, who sells stamps to collectors; a jewelry dealer - well, I think you get the idea.
    My point is, I've seen the word "dealer" used to describe honest, law-abiding merchants selling all sorts of merchandise; and I first read it used that way as a child - long before I first heard the word used to describe those who peddle illegal drugs.

Ok, I hadn't seen a whole season or something like that, because I don't have the time, but I saw a few eps, and I must say they have great moments, like Lesson Zero when Twilight Sparkle goes completely cuckoo, also in that ep, Fluttershy! she looks like she breaks that bear neck and I was like WTF!!??' aslo the faces Twilight makes in that ep. are pretty funny, I've seen, for example, the Discordia monster Ep witch is very sailor moonish, and the end IS. SO. STAR WARS!

The show reminds me of Sailor Moon, but also of Friends, I see Monica in Twilight, Phoebe in Pinkie Pie, and Rachel in Rarity.

Also, I like a lot that, much like KP before them, they use stereotypes that, if you go back some good 12 years ago where the typical bad guy of the show. The typical posh girl (Rarity) or the typical agressive, almost bully, tomboyish girl (Raimbow Dash), that most likely would laugh and call names to the little town girl with southern accent (Applejack) the bookish one (twilight) the weird one (Pinkie Pie) or the shy one (Fluttershy) and in this one they are all close friends. Weird how things have come with that kind of things, I believe that Phineas and Ferb also have friends that could have fit in the bully stereotype from Pepper Ann.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    I hadn't stayed up with the series that much either, mainly due to time constraints, but I do think it's quite entertaining. Good to see you again tweebČ. Long time no see.
    "Say the Word"

I know, its been a long time since I was watching this forum like 20 times a day and stuff, but with the Star Wars craze and all that, I thought"mmhm, maybe they are having a nice chat about it?" so I came and saw the thread and read it, i was surprised there wasn't that much of a big discussion though.

Other forums such as DVDDIZZY for example, where I found a well known ARA forum member nachonaco, had a lot of guys who went ballistic over the news, that thread became huge and all the guys where hyped, or scared or!!!....well you get my point :P

The thing is, the My Little Pony thread caught my attention, I heard about that show before even on the broadcast news of my country, and here I read some good arguments about it and...I posted some comments here, boy it was a long time since the last one I made.