My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Page 14
Global Justice Alliance

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Registered User Honored Elder Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    I found Saturday's episode comparable to a very fat man trying to use a rather small jetpack.

Sure, it got some good spurts off the ground (Rainbow Dad, Rainbow Squeegee, Bedroom Eyes, Twi's "The meditation does nothing!" moment, Spike continuity, etc), but in the end, it never truly soared.

======

With a week to go before the finale, I also thought I'd make a list of my favorite and least favorite episodes of S3:

Faves (ranked from best to okay):
    • 1. "Sleepless in Ponyville" - Cory Powell's debut episode featured excellent pacing, the return of a fan favorite, and realistic, heartwarming character interaction.

• 2. "Magic Duel" - TRRRRIXIE returns, bringing with her a cool, dark atmosphere and Star Wars references.

• 3. "Too Many Pinkie Pies" - More excellent atmospherics (that cave!), Pinkie being hilarious, Pinkie being introspective, and Twi massacring a hall of fakes. Dave Polsky's one home run of the season.

• 4. "The Crystal Empire – Part 1" - efficient, cool world-building, Celestia uses black magic, and Luna returns. The battle in the Arctic was legitimately thrilling.

• 5. "Wonderbolts Academy" - I loved the military aspect of flight camp, though LD's motivation, actions, and demotion could have been handled better. Loved, loved the BGM at the end.

• 6. "Just For Sidekicks" - an extremely solid filler episode. Not much happened plotwise, but it was packed with laughs, gags, d'awww, and general chaos.

Not-faves (ranked from meh to ugh):

• 7. "One Bad Apple" - meh. Didn't do much for me; this was clearly an episode targeted at the younger ones. Babs's accent was slightly irritating, though her insecurities were well-portrayed. The CMC had grown so comfortable with their blank flanks they didn't notice when they stepped on Babs's biggest raw nerve.

• 8. "Apple Family Reunion" - again, kinda meh. That song at the end was really damn catchy, though.

• 9. "The Crystal Empire – Part 2" - flushes the high drama created in Part 1 by bogging down in the fair antics and giving us one of the weaker villains of the series. Black magic was cool, though, including a really nice moment with Twi and Spike.

• 10. "Spike at Your Service" - Fantastic, hilarious character action in Act II+ of the episode (starting with AJ showing up at Rarity's) and a cool action scene with AJ early on fail to fully salve incompetent, derisive Spike writing.

• 11. "Keep Calm and Flutter On" - poor pacing (too much time at the dinner, etc) makes one of the most-anticipated episodes of S3 into something of a dud. It would have needed two episodes to do the storyline-as-is justice, or Corey Powell's writing to do it in one.

• 12. "Games Ponies Play" - I dislike painful, awkward humor centered around mistaken identity. Decent moments of humor fail to get this fat man and his jetpack off the ground. (Also (tongue-in-cheek here), I'm slightly disappointed they didn't go with "Game of Pones.")

We shall see where the finale will fall. M. A. Larson is head writer, giving me hope. Unfortunately, the episode will throw off the perfect symmetry of this list. *Twilight twitch*

Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Well, this explains a lot.

MLP is made up of almost entirely of [my] childhood.

Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Hmmmm.... like Six Degrees of Separation from Kevin Bacon or something. Interesting that there's no apparent connection to KP.....
    "Say the Word"

Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Hmmmm.... like Six Degrees of Separation from Kevin Bacon or something. Interesting that there's no apparent connection to KP.....
    Yeah. I'm kinda surprised. I figure KP would pop up in the 3rd tier of connection, though.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Yeah. I'm kinda surprised. I figure KP would pop up in the 3rd tier of connection, though.
    Actually, there is a KP connection - but not amongst the writers/producers you mentioned in your chart. It's in the cast of voice actors. Tara Strong, who voices Twilight Sparkle on MLP:FiM, played Cousin Joss, Tara the cheerleader, and several other characters on KP.
    You'll find a lot of connections between animated shows in their casts - another example: John DiMaggio, who voiced Dr. Drakken. He also did the voice of Bender the robot on Futurama; as well as the magical Fu Dog on American Dragon: Jake Long (remember that show?). He also did several characters - both heroes and villains - on Batman: The Brave and the Bold; and can be currently heard voicing that dog character on Cartoon Network's Adventure Time.
    Voice acting is good work for actors; no need to worry about costumes or makeup. Just show up in your T-shirt and jeans, slip on a pair of headsets and read your lines into the microphone. And one actor/actress can do multiple shows at the same time, earning more money.

So, S3 Ended!.....ehm, am I the only one who thought that this ep. was rushed?? I mean, lots of issues that could have been 2 eps long, the coronation, the "your cutie mark doesn't mean you have to be that" kind of thing or he final lesson/song from Celestia.
    When I read that all this Twilight Alicorn thing was going to last 3 eps, I was confident that they where going to take a loot of time, but I didn't get that feeling with this episode, the songs where good, but its like the pilot 2 parter episodes in S1, they come to a conclusion far too fast.

I thought it decent, though unnecessary. Making Twilight into an alicorn just seems off, since the show's merch is still going like gangbusters. Hopefully the next season will be able to use it to dramatic/hilarious effect.

Season 4 is supposed to open with parts II and III of this alicorn saga, so we shall see.... (In another 7 months! Arrrggghh! )

As for the episode itself, I thought the part with Celestia in the (snicker) Twilight Zone was beautiful. The way it called back to the very first episode - and with it, the start of my own journey in the Brony fandom - brought me to sniffles.

The lyrical range and animation in all the songs was well done.

I also liked The Mane 5's reaction's to Twilight:
    "Aww yeah! A flying buddy!"
    "You're an alicorn? I didn't even know that was possible."
    "Alllllicorn Partaaaaayyyy!"
    And Pinkie's spit-take was great too. I liked that Twi wasn't instantly gung-ho about it.

I didn't like that the conflict in the first half had zero repercussions in the second half. And the "princess here before us! Behold!" scene was too fast.

As far as arse-pull character upgrades and revelations go, though, Chrysalis's reveal in the S2 finale shows how it's done right:

http://youtu.be/GJN9omElY1k

I love (in hindsight) how well they ran the promos on the S2 finale. Everyone was whining about how "oh god royal wedding bleh ick ew RUINED FOREVER".... and we got Pinkie nailing a Changeling in the face with the party cannon.

---

http://youtu.be/vWIJPe912ic

This is a really cute & funny (yet still surprisingly thoughtful) animation about the change; Spike really sums up me reaction. Despite the warning in the bumper, there's no vulgarity or swearing. Just a little gag humor.

Registered User Exalted Member kyojikasshu's Avatar
    Speaking of the merch, (Nevermind - seems I mistook a deep purple Luna brushable for Twilight - doesn't help that Luna's supposed to be a deep royal-to-navy blue).

Though I am glad to see new "blindbag" figs coming out later this year - there's going to be a set based on "Friendship is Magic, Part 2", with Nightmare Moon, the manticore, the sea serpent (who's officially named "Steven Magnet" now), a Fluttershy with show-accurate mane (FINALLY!!!), and a cropped-tail Rarity.

Song... overload... *boom*

I do agree that the whole cutie mark switcheroo angle was pretty rushed. One singing montage to show them all, a little exposition to the cause, and another montage to fix it. It's the drawback of doing a short season, I guess... definitely fuels the speculation that Hasbro wants to get the series out to syndication with a full 13-week rotation. Of course, that just means more exposure for the show...

Oh, and it was nice to seem some familiar faces in the crowds - DJ PON-3's cameo at Sugar Cube Corner, and a return appearance by Derpy!

Now, we'll probably have to wait all the way to the fall for Season 4... I'd be shocked (though also pleasantly surprised) if the Hub launched it in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by kyojikasshu View Post

Song... overload... *boom*
    Speaking of which, the industrious Bronies among us have already pulled out the songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-_MVrViO-8 - Morning in Ponyville
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RnzL597VVQ - What my Cutie Mark is Telling Me
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92eo1hSAgTA - I've Got to Find a Way
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tCPxXW_9qI - A True, True Friend
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b6vFMkMQTE - Celestia's Ballad
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUxKcBqTjRo - Behold, Princess Twilight Sparkle
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5ZDxuvUbPY - Life in Equestria

"I've Got to Find a Way" and "Celestia's Ballad." Wow. Those hit me right in the feels. "Find a Way" seems a little too modern after a few listens, but "Celestia's Ballad" still makes me choke up. The episode as a whole might be average, but those two songs, IMHO, are two of the best from the entire series.

Now, we'll probably have to wait all the way to the fall for Season 4... I'd be shocked (though also pleasantly surprised) if the Hub launched it in the summer.
    There's been rumor-backed-by-evidence that some sort of TV Movie or Direct-to-DVD movie is in the works, which was partly why S3 was so short. (The other reason is convenient 65-episode syndication.)
    I have no idea when it might be coming out, [s]but I'd make a wager it'd be in May or June.[/s]

MLP Movie: Fall of 2013: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/0...-way.html#more

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Having watched the show, the question that comes foremost to my mind is: "Where do they go from here?" I mean, now Twilight Sparkle is both an alicorn and a princess....that changes the dynamic of the show quite a bit. Now that she's undergone this transformation/"promotion," does this mean her time in Ponyville's come to an end? Her whole purpose for going there in the first place was to learn the importance of friendship. And having done so, she's completed the assignment Princess Celestia gave her. Will she now go on to perform some higher duties as a princess of Equestria? And will that mean she'll have to leave Ponyville and her friends behind? Like Bob, Mark and Steve did with having Kim and Ron fall in love at the end of KP's third season, the MLP:FiM creators may just have painted themselves into a corner, IMHO.

BTW, will someone please explain to me why a pegasus/unicorn hybrid is referred to as an alicorn?