My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Page 2
Global Justice Alliance

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 224

Thread: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

  1. #11
    Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Old Dominion
    Posts
    2,946
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    'Chutes, are you aware of this DVD? It contains 5 episodes from MLP:FiM, as well as a few bonus features. I bought my copy at Target for $9.99 about a week or two ago.
    MLP:FiM - The Friendship Express DVD

    Just thought you'd like to know.
    Thanks; I prefer to watch the episodes through YouTube (where there's almost always a 720p or 1080p version floating around) to cut down on physical evidence.

    And iTunes is now offering episodes at 1080p resolution as well, up from the previous 720p.

    I have -considered- getting a t-shirt related to the series, but I don't think I want to be that blatant about it just yet. :P Though when I was walking past the dining hall yesterday for dinner, a group of guys was playing hackysack on the patio. One of them was wearing a black shirt with an RD silhouette.

    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

  2. #12
    Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The suburbs of Go City
    Posts
    10,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    'Chutes, are you aware of this DVD? It contains 5 episodes from MLP:FiM, as well as a few bonus features. I bought my copy at Target for $9.99 about a week or two ago.
    MLP:FiM - The Friendship Express DVD

    Just thought you'd like to know.
    Thanks; I prefer to watch the episodes through YouTube (where there's almost always a 720p or 1080p version floating around) to cut down on physical evidence.

    And iTunes is now offering episodes at 1080p resolution as well, up from the previous 720p.

    I have -considered- getting a t-shirt related to the series, but I don't think I want to be that blatant about it just yet. :P Though when I was walking past the dining hall yesterday for dinner, a group of guys was playing hackysack on the patio. One of them was wearing a black shirt with an RD silhouette.

    I understand completely. I'm not exactly shouting my newfound bronyism from the rooftops either; and I only play the videos on YouTube (or my DVD) late at night or when no one's around. As it is, I keep the DVD hidden under a pile of other discs I own so it won't be spotted by any casual observer poking their head in my room.
    I am considering buying one of those Ford Mustang logo "Brony" shirts next time I see that T-shirt dealer I know; or maybe even one like what your college classmate was wearing. But that can wait until later - right now I want to get a copy of the latest Harrington novel jeriddian just told me about.
    And being unemployed, I'm somewhat restricted in my discretionary spending right now.

  3. #13
    Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Old Dominion
    Posts
    2,946
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    I understand completely. I'm not exactly shouting my newfound bronyism from the rooftops either...
    True. The high population density (and relative age uniformity) of the college environment helps, though. I see Brony t-shirts around, and I occasionally hear people humming catchy parts of the series's songs. It's particularly present on Facebook; there was an enormous rainbow over the Drillfield last month, and it only took an hour for friends of mine who like MLP to Photoshop it. XD



    The pic prompted me to comment: Rainbow Dash must be gathering data over at the supersonic tunnel. (*Pictures RD and Dr. Simpson arguing about drag coefficients.*)

    RD seems particularly popular with us aero engineers; I whipped this up shortly after learning how to compute Mach number based on Mach Cone angle in my compressible aerodynamics class.



    EDIT: Made a notation goof. The Mach number is still 2.92, but I don't multiply it by the local sound speed ("a") unless I want to find Rainbow Dash's velocity ("v") in meters/second.

    v = M*a

    where a = sqrt(ɣ for air * gas constant * local air temperature in Kelvin)

    ɣ for air = 1.4
    gas constant = 287 J/(kg*K)
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

  4. #14
    Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The suburbs of Go City
    Posts
    10,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    I understand completely. I'm not exactly shouting my newfound bronyism from the rooftops either...
    True. The high population density (and relative age uniformity) of the college environment helps, though. I see Brony t-shirts around, and I occasionally hear people humming catchy parts of the series's songs. It's particularly present on Facebook; there was an enormous rainbow over the Drillfield last month, and it only took an hour for friends of mine who like MLP to Photoshop it. XD



    The pic prompted me to comment: Rainbow Dash must be gathering data over at the supersonic tunnel. (*Pictures RD and Dr. Simpson arguing about drag coefficients.*)

    RD seems particularly popular with us aero engineers; I whipped this up shortly after learning how to compute Mach number based on Mach Cone angle in my compressible aerodynamics class.



    EDIT: Made a notation goof. The Mach number is still 2.92, but I don't multiply it by the local sound speed ("a") unless I want to find Rainbow Dash's velocity ("v") in meters/second.

    v = M*a

    where a = sqrt(ɣ for air * gas constant * local air temperature in Kelvin)

    ɣ for air = 1.4
    gas constant = 287 J/(kg*K)
    Wow.
    Both pics are impressive, but you lost me at the calculations. Math was never my best subject in school, I'm afraid.
    I'm glad to hear you're not alone in your bronyism on campus. At least some of your peers know what the show's about, and understand. I keep thinking back to my days in the Boy Scouts and high school (mid- to late 1970's) and how I was savagely ridiculed in both organizations for being a Star Trek fan. Back then, the original series was still being shown on TV in syndicated reruns, and that (aside from the various books and the short-lived animated series) was all we Trek fans had - the big boost in popularity that Star Wars gave science fiction movies had yet to happen, and no one even considered the notion of Trek becoming a major moneymaking franchise for Paramount Pictures. SF itself was still considered "kid stuff," thanks mostly to all the hokey, cheap movies and juvenile TV shows that were produced in the 1950's. Fortunately, as time went on and the aforementioned Star Wars films (and others made during that period) enchanted the public, most of the bias against SF has died down. And diversity in entertainment choices is being celebrated almost as much as ethnic and cultural diversity are today.

  5. #15
    Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Old Dominion
    Posts
    2,946
    Promo for Saturday's new episode, "Hurricane Fluttershy:"

    http://youtu.be/gvCk0n7Ggdo

    Dat background music is far more epic than it has any right to be.

    Last week's episode, "Dragon Quest," was also pretty good.

    It raised a lot of interesting backstory questions about Spike (and actually kept true to the in-universe continuity), but didn't actually go much of anywhere with them (because, well, this is a 22-minute episode aimed at young children). The emotion and animation in the scene at 4:08 was really well done. Background music during Spike's travel montage was excellent, and likely riffed off of Skyrim. The middle of the episode was kinda meh, in my opinion, though there were several good gags. ("Who's that?" / "I think it's Crackle's cousin." *beat* "Yeah, that makes sense.")

    Then the part with the phoenixes was *awesome* and Rarity gained several dozen kicka** points at 19:44. ("I'm more into fashion; fighting's not really my thing - but I'll RIP YOU TO PIECES IF YOU TOUCH A SCALE ON HIS CUTE LITTLE HEAD!!")

    The presence of mythological references in this show makes for some grown-up implications, particularly in light of a mention of Cerberus and Tartarus (aka PONY HELL) in "It's About Time." It's like Hasbro's development model went something like:

    1. Create a happy, sunny carefree world populated by pastel-colored ponies who live in harmony with each other and use their magical powers for the benefit of all.

    2. Fill said world with the nightmarish monstrosities of humanity's ancient mythologies.

    3. (Wait, what?!???)

    4. PROFIT!




    Speaking of Rarity awesomeness, I think I'm now in a three-way tie for my favorite Mane 6* character. (Or, as the fandom tends to put it, "_____ IS BEST PONY!")

    1. Rainbow Dash (out of principle, because she's cool ), Twilight (for personality; eggheads unite!), and Rarity (for voicework talent; any episode where she speaks more than 5-6 words tends to become amazing. )

    2. Fluttershy. Cuteness Overload 1 and Cuteness Overload 2. I think that about sums it up. (Also, this. *Squee!*)

    3. Pinkie Pie. She provides the best "random" and 4th-wall-breaking humor of the show, but she can overdo it to the point of becoming grating.

    4. Applejack. I don't particularly dislike her; she just hasn't had much character development. She's still somewhat one-dimensional.



    *You best believe there were bro-hoofs about "Mane Team 6" after the real-life version of "Osama's Last Stand" in May.



    "We are gonna love & tolerate bin Laden until his head explodes!"
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

  6. #16
    Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The suburbs of Go City
    Posts
    10,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    Promo for Saturday's new episode, "Hurricane Fluttershy:"

    http://youtu.be/gvCk0n7Ggdo

    Dat background music is far more epic than it has any right to be.

    Last week's episode, "Dragon Quest," was also pretty good.

    It raised a lot of interesting backstory questions about Spike (and actually kept true to the in-universe continuity), but didn't actually go much of anywhere with them (because, well, this is a 22-minute episode aimed at young children). The emotion and animation in the scene at 4:08 was really well done. Background music during Spike's travel montage was excellent, and likely riffed off of Skyrim. The middle of the episode was kinda meh, in my opinion, though there were several good gags. ("Who's that?" / "I think it's Crackle's cousin." *beat* "Yeah, that makes sense.")

    Then the part with the phoenixes was *awesome* and Rarity gained several dozen kicka** points at 19:44. ("I'm more into fashion; fighting's not really my thing - but I'll RIP YOU TO PIECES IF YOU TOUCH A SCALE ON HIS CUTE LITTLE HEAD!!")

    The presence of mythological references in this show makes for some grown-up implications, particularly in light of a mention of Cerberus and Tartarus (aka PONY HELL) in "It's About Time." It's like Hasbro's development model went something like:

    1. Create a happy, sunny carefree world populated by pastel-colored ponies who live in harmony with each other and use their magical powers for the benefit of all.

    2. Fill said world with the nightmarish monstrosities of humanity's ancient mythologies.

    3. (Wait, what?!???)

    4. PROFIT!




    Speaking of Rarity awesomeness, I think I'm now in a three-way tie for my favorite Mane 6* character. (Or, as the fandom tends to put it, "_____ IS BEST PONY!")

    1. Rainbow Dash (out of principle, because she's cool ), Twilight (for personality; eggheads unite!), and Rarity (for voicework talent; any episode where she speaks more than 5-6 words tends to become amazing. )

    2. Fluttershy. Cuteness Overload 1 and Cuteness Overload 2. I think that about sums it up. (Also, this. *Squee!*)

    3. Pinkie Pie. She provides the best "random" and 4th-wall-breaking humor of the show, but she can overdo it to the point of becoming grating.

    4. Applejack. I don't particularly dislike her; she just hasn't had much character development. She's still somewhat one-dimensional.



    *You best believe there were bro-hoofs about "Mane Team 6" after the real-life version of "Osama's Last Stand" in May.



    "We are gonna love & tolerate bin Laden until his head explodes!"
    Nice artwork there, 'chutes!
    Cute...but DEADLY!
    Those ponies mean business!

  7. #17
    Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lancaster, Texas
    Posts
    8,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    *You best believe there were bro-hoofs about "Mane Team 6" after the real-life version of "Osama's Last Stand" in May.



    "We are gonna love & tolerate bin Laden until his head explodes!"
    Well done, 'Chutes, Well done.
    "Say the Word"

  8. #18
    Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Old Dominion
    Posts
    2,946
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    *You best believe there were bro-hoofs about "Mane Team 6" after the real-life version of "Osama's Last Stand" in May.

    [IMG]

    "We are gonna love & tolerate bin Laden until his head explodes!"
    Well done, 'Chutes, Well done.
    Haha, well, it's not mine. I'm nowhere near that good of an artist. I found it on DeviantArt.
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

  9. #19
    Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Old Dominion
    Posts
    2,946
    Watched the newest episode, "Hurricane Fluttershy," over the weekend.

    http://youtu.be/tmFT87LUCSs

    And it was, in a word, awesome.

    Really good character interaction between RD and Fluttershy, amazing music (kick*ss Rocky Balboa power-up song? In MY Little Pony?! ), and a moral that touches home in this tight election cycle.

    The scene with RD and FS at 10:20 punched me right in the gut, because I was in RD's situation with a friend earlier this semester. Extending that hand, without being able to grasp anything - the scene was almost difficult to watch.

    10-seconds-flat version: Rainbow Dash is Best Pony.



    "If I'm going down, I'm going down flying! Come on ponies! Let's make it happen!"


    BTW, I came across an excellent series of episode reviews: http://awthredestim.blogspot.com/201...c_25.html#more
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

  10. #20
    Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The suburbs of Go City
    Posts
    10,228
    Thanks for posting the link there, 'chutes! I missed the new ep on Saturday; slept late (oops).
    You're right; it was a good story. I was especially impressed with how Fluttershy worked to overcome her problem there - very inspirational! And the writers and actors delivered the message with being preachy or boring, either; they "taught by example," as it were.
    They've got another new ep scheduled for next weekend - I caught a promo on Hub network while watching a Batman rerun the other night. I definitely don't intend to miss it!

Similar Threads

  1. The Green Magic's KP Videos
    By Fireand'chutes77 in forum Kim Possible
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-21-2007, 06:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •