A Little Computer Advice, Please and Thank You...?
Global Justice Alliance

Thread: A Little Computer Advice, Please and Thank You...?

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar

A Little Computer Advice, Please and Thank You...?

I've having problems with my computer. For some reason, I can't highlight, copy, or paste parts of a Microsoft Paint document using the left button on my mouse - the one I'm supposed to use. I had some trouble saving corrections to another Paint doc last night - the fool thing undid some corrections I'd previously saved when I clicked "Save" a second time!
    And I'm also having problems playing Solitaire. I can't move the window that opens for the game around on my desktop; nor can I move any of the cards around on the playing field by clicking and dragging them, like I should be able to.
    It's not my mouse; I downloaded upgrades from the manufacturer, and I also rechecked my connections on the back of my computer.
    I really fear there's something wrong with my Windows XP software. I'm not thrilled at the prospect of maybe having to delete and reload the whole thing. Even though I've got most of my files backed up on flash drive, it's still a task I'd rather not undertake.
    I really hope I don't have to do that - I'm wondering if there's some sort of fix I can do instead that just corrects those two programs. Any suggestions or advice?

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    I've had some problems with getting my mouse and keyboard to work at all on one of my XP platforms as well. I haven't been able to figure it out. First off, are you having keyboard issues? Second, what mouse are you using? If it's a wireless mouse, try sticking in a standard generic wired mouse and see if that changes anything. Sometimes the third party software for some of the mice can present problems. You may consider uninstalling the mouse software and go with the generic automatic Windows mouse software and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't you can re-install the mouse software and see if that makes a difference. If this doesn't help, try a different mouse/keyboard combo altogether. If none of this works, then it likely is a problem with the XP platform.

Another issue is that malware or viruses can do this. Be sure and run your anti virus and malware programs to make sure that this isn't the problem.

Other than this, I can't think of any other thing to do but to start from scratch. However, if you do have to start from scratch, I really would recommend going on to Windows 7 if you can.
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Thanks for the advice, jeriddian. It turns out that my mouse had gone bad. The left button got so worn out from 4 or 5 years of constant heavy use that I actually had to press down on it really hard to get it to work at all for certain functions. So, I went over to Best Buy today and bought a new one. It's a wired, optical mouse, like the one it replaced, and it works just fine. All left-key issues I had with the old mouse - especially those in Paint and playing Solitaire - have been resolved.
    And yes, I thought it might have been a virus or spyware issue too. I even ran scans for those on my computer last night before figuring out it was a hardware problem.
    And the new mouse only cost about $21 with tax, so I'm not complaining. Better that outlay than an expensive repair job, or the aggravation of a software uninstall/reinstall.