Fallout
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Fallout

  1. #1
    Registered User Veteran Member hrodwulf123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    594

    Fallout

    This thread is dedicated to the entire "Fallout" series of games, so whether you're a fan of "Fallout 1", "Tactics" or "New Vegas", this thread is for you.

    Fallout 2 has the most memorable ending cut-scene in the history of computer games, and I like New Vegas because it's connected to Fallout 1 & 2....if only someone did a mod that would connect the Mojave wasteland to some locations from Fallout 2, like Arroyo in 2281/2282 (Emily Ortal says that she's from Arroyo).

  2. #2
    Registered User Veteran Member NinjaNaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Midd El Tann
    Posts
    933

    Smile

    I think someone made a mod that put some of the western lands (such as the NCR capital) into New Vegas, but I'm not sure if Arroyo is in it...

    I've even thought of making a "New Middleton" mod for NV (long story short - it would put Kim, Ron, Middleton etc. into the post-apocalyptic West in the same way MrDrP's "KP: The Next Generation" put Kim and co. into Star Trek TNG), but I never got very far into Fallout modding, so my ambition proved greater than my grasp. (But maybe I'll try my hand at FNV modding, and if I do... )

    What did you think of Fallout 3?

  3. #3
    Registered User Veteran Member hrodwulf123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNaco View Post
    I think someone made a mod that put some of the western lands (such as the NCR capital) into New Vegas, but I'm not sure if Arroyo is in it...

    I've even thought of making a "New Middleton" mod for NV (long story short - it would put Kim, Ron, Middleton etc. into the post-apocalyptic West in the same way MrDrP's "KP: The Next Generation" put Kim and co. into Star Trek TNG), but I never got very far into Fallout modding, so my ambition proved greater than my grasp. (But maybe I'll try my hand at FNV modding, and if I do... )

    What did you think of Fallout 3?
    You mean Shady Sands, right?
    I did some research about New Vegas, and found out that there is quite a bit of "Core Region" (California) in New Vegas. The California-Nevada border runs just outside of Primm, which means that everything from Primm to Mojave Outpost is in California. Mojave Outpost's location matches the real-life location of MolyCorp Mountain Pass, and the "Long 15" (available only if you nuke NCR at the end of Lonesome Road) is probably Baker, CA (Baker has it's own airport, and there are quite a few crashed vertibirds in that area). Now, if we know the positions of both Mojave Outpost and Long 15, this would make the southwestern edge of the map shown on PIP-Boy (the one that's unreachable by conventional means) the location of Hub from Fallout 1 (Barstow).

    Well, I had a similar idea for an alternate ending of "A sitch in time", where instead of ending up in present day Middleton, Kim is accidentally transported into another space/time continuum, and while she does end up in Middleton, she ends up in the year 2141, only this time the history is different - this time she ends up in the "Fallout" universe, where the entire planet was ravaged by a nuclear war in October 2077....my version of that alternate Middleton is almost identical to the Necropolis, meaning that the remains of the city look abandoned, while it's actually full of feral ghouls. Kim would later find out that anyone who wasn't killed when the bombs fell was turned into a ghoul - decrepit, rotting, zombie-like mutant. Ghouls are victims of heavy radiation poisoning which results in their skin decaying and, paradoxically, greatly extending their individual lifetime.

    For me, Fallout 3 was a welcome improvement from older, isometric graphic, but it felt like Fallout 1 on the East Coast. And besides, Washington itself looks like it was heavily bombed by conventional means, not nuked. Even if they used only tactical weapons, which are used to destroy smaller targets, like a military airport or a military formation in the field, the destruction caused by only one such bomb would be far greater than it's shown in Fallout 3.

  4. #4
    Registered User Veteran Member NinjaNaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Midd El Tann
    Posts
    933

    Re: Fallout

    Quote Originally Posted by hrodwulf123 View Post
    And besides, Washington itself looks like it was heavily bombed by conventional means, not nuked. Even if they used only tactical weapons, which are used to destroy smaller targets, like a military airport or a military formation in the field, the destruction caused by only one such bomb would be far greater than it's shown in Fallout 3.
    Well, to be fair, this is how the original Fallout team depicted a post-War city:

    The games were never meant to be "hard" SF anyway.

    My Fallout/KP "fusion" idea is for a mod/fanmade add-on to NV. The basic plotline is this: New Middleton is an independent town somewhere east of the Mojave, built on the ruins of old Middleton and inhabited by the descendants of the people who worked at the Middleton Space Center before the War (and those people's families). The Space Center, as it turns out, had its own vault (though not one of the Vault-Tec ones) but somehow got stuck for 200 years. So, in 2277 they emerge from the vault, find the empty ruins of Middleton and begin to settle down. However, they're actually in Legion territory and it's not long before the local representatives of Caesar come knocking. The New Middletonians manage to repulse the local Legion at the Battle of New Middleton (in which Kim Possible played a prominent role); however, the area's next Legion commander decided to lay a protracted siege to the city, hoping the starve the city to death. That's where the Courier comes in (the player would be able to access this land via that cave-like dark spot north east of the easternmost Ranger outpost)

    That's just the barest outline of all the backstory and such I've thought about for this, but with Fallout 4 coming I wonder if I should just wait for that to do a "KP in the Fallout universe" thing. WHat do you think (and have I made any sense)?

  5. #5
    Registered User Veteran Member hrodwulf123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    594

    Re: Fallout

    There's one big plot element missing - how did they survive for 200 years? By cryogenic hibernation or are the vault dwellers descendants of Middleton Space Center personnel? If they survived for 200 years without cryogenic hibernation and are not the descendants of Middleton Space Center personnel, this could imply that they're all ghouls.

  6. #6
    Registered User Veteran Member NinjaNaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Midd El Tann
    Posts
    933

    Re: Fallout

    Kim and co. are descended from the original inhabitants. Vaults have been known in the Fallout universe to function for that long - Vault 21 was isolated from 2077 to 2271, for example, as well as Vault 3 (had it not been for that pesky water chip), and (more or less) Vault 101.

  7. #7
    Registered User Veteran Member hrodwulf123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    594

    Re: Fallout

    Hm, so the vault under the MSC was destined to be sealed for the indefinite period of time?
    Btw, this is how a nuked city in the world of Fallout should look like (this is an aerial shot from 1945 of the German city Wesel after the Allied campaign in which 97% of the city was destroyed), excluding the craters, of course.

  8. #8
    Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The suburbs of Go City
    Posts
    10,074

    Re: Fallout

    Quote Originally Posted by hrodwulf123 View Post
    Hm, so the vault under the MSC was destined to be sealed for the indefinite period of time?
    Btw, this is how a nuked city in the world of Fallout should look like (this is an aerial shot from 1945 of the German city Wesel after the Allied campaign in which 97% of the city was destroyed), excluding the craters, of course.
    Interesting pic there, hrodwulf. And, I might add, a textbook example of Hitler's legacy - death, destruction, misery and suffering. 50-55 million dead; billions of dollars' worth of property destroyed; most of Eastern Europe under Communist rule for the next 44 years - all because of one man's mad quest to conquer the world.

  9. #9
    Registered User Veteran Member hrodwulf123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    594

    Re: Fallout

    This is why Ron Perlman (the same guy that voiced Warhok) says "War...war never changes" in the every intro of every game in the "Fallout" series.

  10. #10

    Re: Fallout

    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNaco View Post
    Kim and co. are descended from the original inhabitants. Vaults have been known in the Fallout universe to function for that long - Vault 21 was isolated from 2077 to 2271, for example, as well as Vault 3 (had it not been for that pesky water chip), and (more or less) Vault 101.
    So we're doing an AU where the KP we all know and love was born a bunch of years later, just to catch up on the convo?

    Anyways, a Fallout mod for KP would be interesting to see. I'd probably use the ASiT aesthetic for 'New Middleton' and its people, mostly for continuity and I always felt it worked for the future since the stuff was obviously futuristic but not drastically so. Do some modifications (say, make Kim's outfit without an exposed midrif and make it explicity she has body armor under the sweater), and it'd work pretty well.

    ... now I'm imagining Ron with a fatboy that some guys I talk with over at Spacebattles keep talking about. That's... a hell of a sight to fear

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •