Cartoon theories
Global Justice Alliance

Thread: Cartoon theories

Registered User Veteran Member hrodwulf123's Avatar

Cartoon theories

In the recent times there are more and more theories that try to show popular cartoons in a dark and sinister manner. For example there is a theory that the kids from "Ed, Edd n Eddy" are actually souls in the purgatory even though the show's creator, Danny Antonucci, says that they're based on parts of his own personality, memories and his own children.

What is your opinion on these theories? I think they're just BS someone wrote because they don't like fanbase or that cartoon.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    There ae a lot of very dark minds out there that think up this sort of crap. It is very well represented in virtually all of cartoon fandom, and KP is no different. One can easily how much garbage has been put out in the Fanfics regarding "alternate theories" of the show. No sense in arguing with these people. You can't fix people who think in the gutter like that.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Veteran Member hrodwulf123's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    There ae a lot of very dark minds out there that think up this sort of crap. It is very well represented in virtually all of cartoon fandom, and KP is no different. One can easily how much garbage has been put out in the Fanfics regarding "alternate theories" of the show. No sense in arguing with these people. You can't fix people who think in the gutter like that.
    I know, but what's the point of ruining the show for others?

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hrodwulf123 View Post
    Some people like to ruin things for others.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    As campy pointed out, some people want to ruin things for others. They are sick, and all they want is to strike out and make others hurt.
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    People tend to "project" aspects of their own personalities onto TV shows, movies, and even books (or book series) that they're interested in. By "projecting," I mean they interpret the characters and events in these shows/films/books through the filter of their own worldviews and beliefs, seeing what they want to see instead of, or in addition to, what the series' creators actually intended. We all do it to a slight degree; although that critic of "Ed, Edd 'n Eddy" that hrodwulf mentioned may be taking it a bit too far. IMHO, the best way to deal with such excessively negative criticism is to just ignore it. The person who wrote that interpretation was looking too deeply into what was clearly intended as a light-hearted children's cartoon show, revealing far more about him/herself than about the show itself. And if someone really enjoys a certain TV show or movie, extreme comments such as those are not going to ruin it for them - the loyal fans just won't allow it.

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    As campy pointed out, some people want to ruin things for others. They are sick, and all they want is to strike out and make others hurt.
    It 's probably also an attention-getting ploy; trying to be extreme or edgy to gain attention by being disturbing. That these are often teen males would tend to support this thesis. It's functionally an extension of grade school gross out behavior (reminds me of a situation a friend had when she was lifeguarding at a public pool: she asked me why the grade school and junior high boys were always being such jerks to her (she is, physically, a dead ringer for Bonnie, rather spectacular in a bikini), I explained hat it was their age group's version of flirting).
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    It 's probably also an attention-getting ploy; trying to be extreme or edgy to gain attention by being disturbing. That these are often teen males would tend to support this thesis. It's functionally an extension of grade school gross out behavior (reminds me of a situation a friend had when she was lifeguarding at a public pool: she asked me why the grade school and junior high boys were always being such jerks to her (she is, physically, a dead ringer for Bonnie, rather spectacular in a bikini), I explained that it was their age group's version of flirting).
    True; boys in that age group (12 - 14 years old) tend to be obnoxious - most without realizing it.

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    In the recent times there are more and more theories that try to show popular cartoons in a dark and sinister manner.
    In defense of this (and to play devil's advocate), sometimes it's a fun/interesting thought exercise to pick at the more ragged edges of canon until a string works out, and then see how far one can stretch it until it snaps (and becomes unworkable). I did some of this myself in my OLS fanfic, because I had something of a morbid curiosity to pull up some of the darker threads of the KP 'verse, as well as clashing some of the lighter aspects of the world against our own.

Left unchecked, though, this ferreting impulse can go into an unrecoverable flat spin; people automatically go to worse-case scenarios for any instance of the canon's ambiguities.

And, of course, there's the simple troll/attention-getting ploy (as LM said, trying to be extreme or edgy to gain attention by being disturbing). Just look at "Cupcakes" or "Rainbow Factory" in the MLP fandom. (Off the top of my head, I can't think of a KP equivalent in terms of notoriety.)

EDIT: Adding to this, I sometimes turn to anime to experience outright some of the darker, grayer, more mature themes that animation-as-a-medium can explore, but Western animated television can't. (Examples: Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Black Lagoon, etc) However, I haven't had nearly as much of an impulse to write fanfic or do AMVs to the extent I did for KP and (to a much lesser extent) MLP. I think this is because a lot of the "darker" stuff that shows up in fanfic is outright presented and discussed in more mature fare; I don't have to go hunting for it. I have much less need to drill down/explore the ethics of the worlds in those shows. There's less need for imagination and speculation - and it's imagination and speculation that drive fanwork, after all.... That, and (occasionally) a more vicious glee to corrupt what is pure. Being the first one to make tracks in the snow is fun.... Though I like it best untrammeled.
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.