Cheerleading
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Cheerleading

  1. #1
    Registered User Veteran Member hrodwulf123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    594

    Cheerleading

    Ok, this thread is for discussion about cheerleading and cheerleaders.

    First, I can't understand why are people so mean to cheerleaders?
    I mean, what have this girls ever done to them?

    Second, cheerleading is a very dangerous sport and this video proves it. WARNING: This video has graphic images

    I said it once before and I shall say it again: Those girls are a true heroes (no pun intended here), so I think those girls should each get a bravery medal for that. Hell, if you know a cheerleader, give him/her a hug. He/she deserves it.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Klein Innsbruck
    Posts
    7,349
    Quote Originally Posted by hrodwulf123 View Post
    Hell, if you know a cheerleader, give him/her a hug. He/she deserves it.
    Mrs. campy would prefer that I not.

  3. #3
    Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The suburbs of Go City
    Posts
    10,019
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hrodwulf123 View Post
    Hell, if you know a cheerleader, give him/her a hug. He/she deserves it.
    Mrs. campy would prefer that I not.


    There's a really interesting book out on this topic, titled Cheer! Inside the Secret World of College Cheerleaders by Kate Torgovnick. (Touchstone Press, $15.00 US. ISBN-13: 978-1-4165-3597-3 ISBN-10: 1-4165-3597-7) This book talks about the world of competitive cheerleading, following the year-long efforts of three Southern college cheer squads to get to the National championship cheer competition. It was the inspiration for the short-lived TV series on the CW Network titled Hellcats, about a cheer squad in a fictional Southern university. Unfortunately, the show only ran for one season before being cancelled. Its ratings suffered because the network execs kept moving it around in their schedule. And it was a good show, too.
    Anyway, I recommend the book to anyone who's curious about the life of a college cheerleader.

  4. #4
    Registered User Veteran Member hrodwulf123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    594
    How many of you have seen that video of an cheerleader standing against cyber-bullying? Here's the video if you haven't seen it yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqMvxCKxZb4

    Now, there are several things which I find appalling:

    1. If someone doesn't like that cheersquad, why use a picture of the former cheerleader? Words are enough to express one's opinion.
    2. It looks like some people feel threatened when someone who is prettier, smarter, courageous and more mature than them steps up and defends herself. Just look at the amount of trolls in the comments under her video.
    3. Look at her face, she looked like she was going to burst into tears several times. For me that's a sure sign that her feelings are true.

    I support this girl. What do you think?

  5. #5
    Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Midland, Texas
    Posts
    7,948
    Anytime someone stands up to a cyber-bully, it's a good thing.
    "Say the Word"

  6. #6
    Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The suburbs of Go City
    Posts
    10,019
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Anytime someone stands up to a cyber-bully, it's a good thing.
    Any time someone stands up to a bully - any kind of bully - it's a good thing (-said the forum member who'd himself been bullied in grade school, as well as high school).

  7. #7
    Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Tick Capitol Of The Known Universe
    Posts
    4,025
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hrodwulf123 View Post
    Hell, if you know a cheerleader, give him/her a hug. He/she deserves it.
    Mrs. campy would prefer that I not.
    A friend was a cheerleader at the naval academy, but hopefully a handshake will suffice. He is an omega, a member of the last all male class at Annapolis (he did cheerleading mostly to meet girls, in those days the female componant of the squad were volunteers from various womens colleges).
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

  8. #8
    Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Klein Innsbruck
    Posts
    7,349
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    A friend was a cheerleader at the naval academy, but hopefully a handshake will suffice. He is an omega, a member of the last all male class at Annapolis (he did cheerleading mostly to meet girls, in those days the female componant of the squad were volunteers from various womens colleges).
    I'll never forget the day in November '75 when BC took our whole marching band, baton twirlers, flag girls etc. to a road game at West Point. After the game (BC 31, Army 0) our girls danced while the band played, and the cadets were crowded around them just staring at them like they were the most gorgeous girls on the planet.

    Must have been quite the self-esteem boost.

  9. #9
    Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Tick Capitol Of The Known Universe
    Posts
    4,025
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    A friend was a cheerleader at the naval academy, but hopefully a handshake will suffice. He is an omega, a member of the last all male class at Annapolis (he did cheerleading mostly to meet girls, in those days the female componant of the squad were volunteers from various womens colleges).
    I'll never forget the day in November '75 when BC took our whole marching band, baton twirlers, flag girls etc. to a road game at West Point. After the game (BC 31, Army 0) our girls danced while the band played, and the cadets were crowded around them just staring at them like they were the most gorgeous girls on the planet.

    Must have been quite the self-esteem boost.
    After being up on the line, in the Middle East, for many months, I can really sympathise with the cadets. One starts to notice the strangest aspects of female anatomy, like ears, after extended isolation. It takes awhile to return to a normal perspective.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

  10. #10
    Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Midland, Texas
    Posts
    7,948
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hrodwulf123 View Post
    Hell, if you know a cheerleader, give him/her a hug. He/she deserves it.
    Mrs. campy would prefer that I not.
    A friend was a cheerleader at the naval academy, but hopefully a handshake will suffice. He is an omega, a member of the last all male class at Annapolis (he did cheerleading mostly to meet girls, in those days the female componant of the squad were volunteers from various womens colleges).
    The same was true at Texas A&M. 1976 was the first year female cadets were aceepted into the Corps there.
    "Say the Word"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •