Cheerleading - Page 2
Global Justice Alliance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheerleading

Registered User Veteran Member hrodwulf123's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    I'll never forget the day in November '75 when BC took our whole marching band, baton twirlers, flag girls etc. to a road game at West Point. After the game (BC 31, Army 0) our girls danced while the band played, and the cadets were crowded around them just staring at them like they were the most gorgeous girls on the planet.

Must have been quite the self-esteem boost.
    1975? That's around the same year when Madonna (yes, that Madonna) was a high school cheerleader (she's the girl in the middle of this photo).

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hrodwulf123 View Post
    I'll never forget the day in November '75 when BC took our whole marching band, baton twirlers, flag girls etc. to a road game at West Point. After the game (BC 31, Army 0) our girls danced while the band played, and the cadets were crowded around them just staring at them like they were the most gorgeous girls on the planet.

Must have been quite the self-esteem boost.
    1975? That's around the same year when Madonna (yes, that Madonna) was a high school cheerleader (she's the girl in the middle of this photo).
    - But she wasn't into freak-fighting or world-saving on the side!

Re: Cheerleading

I've heard about fight songs, but this is ridiculous (watch what happens in the end of the video):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZBeYl9uXdc

Did you know that according to the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) rule from the summer of 2007, high school cheer uniform tops must cover the midriff while arms are at the sides?
    That means that the uniforms like the MHS cheer uniform or the uniforms in "Bring it on!" would be illegal in newer competitions.

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar

My cheer uniforms always covered my midriff.

Okay, so I've been watching some cheerleading videos from late 80s/early 90s...those stunts were awesome! I can't believe that almost 90% of stunts they did is illegal now...and what's better, losing teams didn't cry back then.

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar

My cheer uniforms always covered my midriff.
    Probably a good thing, what with you being a guy and all.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Well, it seems that I was right.
    The way that cheerleaders are portrayed in the media really hurts cheerleaders:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al_FWgfZj08

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hrodwulf123 View Post
    Well, it seems that I was right.
    The way that cheerleaders are portrayed in the media really hurts cheerleaders:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al_FWgfZj08
    Unfortunately, it's true. TV shows and movies portray cheerleaders either as ignorant bubbleheads or arrogant snobs. And the truth is, cheerleaders are ordinary folks like the rest of us. When I was in high school, I was never picked on by any of the cheerleaders (the jocks, on the other hand, treated me like dirt) - in fact, some of my female classmates whom I considered friends were either cheerleaders or pom-pom girls (they had a separate squad for pom-poms in my school). And those girls always treated me as an equal, giving me the same respect they did anybody else. Plus, they were all smart, sensible girls - not the clueless, vain airheads you see all too often in films and TV.
    So I can understand this girl's pain. It's not nice to be stereotyped or bullied - I know from personal experience. I really feel sorry for her and her cheer squad teammates because of what they're going through.
    Back in the 1970's, Ballantine Publishing's Pocket Books division published a series of paperback adaptations of the episodes of the Star Trek animated TV series. The stories were adapted from the scripts by the noted SF author Alan Dean Foster. In one of the books, Mr Foster wrote this dedication:

To the fans of Star Trek everywhere: Ignore the ignorant and stick to your phasers!
    That pretty much sums up what this girl, and her fellow cheerleaders, need to do in the face of the stereotyping and hatred they get just for practicing their chosen sport. Too often, fear and ignorance can spawn hatred and divisiveness. Only by understanding one another can we humans learn to put aside our prejudices and truly live together as one community.

I'll get off my soapbox now. "Here endeth the sermon for the day."

Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    That pretty much sums up what this girl, and her fellow cheerleaders, need to do in the face of the stereotyping and hatred they get just for practicing their chosen sport. Too often, fear and ignorance can spawn hatred and divisiveness. Only by understanding one another can we humans learn to put aside our prejudices and truly live together as one community.
    I know, I had to re-post this picture several times, because every time I would post it I would had a incredible amount of trolls coming after me. In the beginning I was indifferent to cheerleaders and cheerleading (we never had cheerleaders here), but all that changed ever since I watched KP and met real-life cheerleaders like Sharon, Samantha, Valina, Ashley, Jennifer and Liz (it's so sad that Sharon isn't alive anymore, she was a cheerleader her whole life).