General Discussion 8 - Page 11
Global Justice Alliance

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: General Discussion 8

Registered User Veteran Member hrodwulf123's Avatar

Re: General Discussion 8

Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Quoted from lunchmeat's last post:
    USS Enterprise, CVN-65, was commissioned in 1962 and served until last year for a service life of 50 years.
    What upsets me about the "Big E's" retirement is they're not replacing her with a new USS Enterprise. The US Navy has always had an Enterprise in its fleet, going back to the days of the Revolutionary War (or shortly thereafter). The carrier replacing this Enterprise is the USS Gerald R. Ford. Now while I'm not opposed to naming a ship after our 38th President (when all is said and done, he really was a decent guy), I feel that the Navy should keep the name Enterprise alive (and no, this has nothing to do with Star Trek's naming its starship the Enterprise).
    I understand there's a petition drive underway to get the Navy to name one of its next generation of aircraft carriers Enterprise, in order to fill the void left by CVN-65's decommissioning.
    Actually...there will be a new USS Enterprise (CVN-80) which will replace USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69) around 2025.

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar

Will they name ships after all the rental car companies?

Registered User Exalted Member kyojikasshu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Yeah, fairly certain there won't ever be a USS Budget, USS Thrifty, or USS Rent-a-Wreck...

There have been a USS Avis and USS Alamo, though. The Avis was a civilian motorboat given a commission in 1917; apparently it only ever patrolled the Great Lakes, and was decommissioned in 1918, when it returned to civilian service. The Alamo was a dock landing ship launched in 1956; it was turned over to Brazil in 1990 and renamed the Rio de Janiero, and was decommissioned in 2012.

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Actually, it's the other way around, the fellow that founded the car rental company served on the WWII Enterprise and named his company after his old ship (they've a poster about it in most of their rental offices).
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hrodwulf123 View Post
    Quoted from lunchmeat's last post:
    USS Enterprise, CVN-65, was commissioned in 1962 and served until last year for a service life of 50 years.
    What upsets me about the "Big E's" retirement is they're not replacing her with a new USS Enterprise. The US Navy has always had an Enterprise in its fleet, going back to the days of the Revolutionary War (or shortly thereafter). The carrier replacing this Enterprise is the USS Gerald R. Ford. Now while I'm not opposed to naming a ship after our 38th President (when all is said and done, he really was a decent guy), I feel that the Navy should keep the name Enterprise alive (and no, this has nothing to do with Star Trek's naming its starship the Enterprise).
    I understand there's a petition drive underway to get the Navy to name one of its next generation of aircraft carriers Enterprise, in order to fill the void left by CVN-65's decommissioning.
    Actually...there will be a new USS Enterprise (CVN-80) which will replace USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69) around 2025.
    Glad to hear it! Thanks for the heads-up, hrodwulf!
    I just looked it up on-line. The new "Big E" will be the third "Gerald Ford"-class carrier built. The Navy's smart not to let such a historic ship name die.

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar

Hello everyone! It's been a while....

Getting through my first week of classes. Homework already! Today we finally got internet at my apartment and I've been setting up the new TV and Blu-Ray player and exploring media-streaming from my laptop.

I would have liked to have played my KP DVDs on the new system, but I'm having issues. :/
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar

Welcome back, 'chutes! I was beginning to wonder if you'd fallen into a black hole or something. Good to hear you've got internet at your apartment; it'll make it easier for you to keep in touch with us now.
    What kind of issues are you having with your Blu-Ray system? Or is it your entire video set-up that's giving you problems?

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar

Good to see you 'Chutes. Hope you're in a movie seeing mood.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar

I was afraid you'd been abducted by rogue brony's at that convention in Baltimore......
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar

Welcome back, 'chutes! I was beginning to wonder if you'd fallen into a black hole or something. Good to hear you've got internet at your apartment; it'll make it easier for you to keep in touch with us now.
    What kind of issues are you having with your Blu-Ray system? Or is it your entire video set-up that's giving you problems?
    I got a Sony BDP-S5100 a week ago, and it's throwing up a "Cannot Play this disk" error when I try to play the DVD-Rs that Jerridan made a few years ago off the German box set.

It's doing the same with disks from the actual German box set.

EDIT: The DVD-R disk also works on my laptop's DVD player. And I remember it working on my DVD/VCR combo player at home. Don't know why it's not working on this specific player. A regular DVD that I've been using daily for a piece of exercise equipment works fine.
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.