General Discussion 8 - Page 15
Global Justice Alliance

Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: General Discussion 8

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar

Re: General Discussion 8

Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Well, since I like to work on ancient computers, I actually do have a couple that run WIN 3.1. But most of them are stuck even further back on old MSDOS, usually versions 3.1 through 6.22, circa 1983 or so. These computers could run WIN 3.1, even the old 286's, although it would be terribly slow.
    My first commercial machine was an 8086, now my wristwatch has more computing power. >A:/
    Your average pocket calculator - the kind you can buy on a blister card at your local grocery store for under $10 - has more computing power than the on-board computers in the Apollo command modules! Yet those crude devices (by today"s standards, anyway) allowed the astronauts to successfully navigate their way to the moon and back.

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar

Big history day today, Battle of Balaclava (Charge of the Light Brigade), Leyte Gulf (largest naval battle in history), Agincourt and Urgent Fury (Granada). I once had a student who had fought at the Cuban road block on Granada when he was with the 82nd Airborne.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar

Ah, yes....the Crimean War in 1854, the French, British, and Turks trying to take Sevastopol from the Russians, the sinking of the Yamato (the largest battleship ever made) in WWII in 1945, Henry V's great triumph over the French in 1514 to put half of that country under British rule (which Henry VI promptly lost once the War of the Roses finally kicked off), and well.........that little island down there in the lesser Antilles, to save a bunch of American medical students in a foreign country about 30 years ago or so...........Sheesh! How did October 25 get so special?
    "Say the Word"

Here are two more anniversaries to add to today's date: In 1965, the Agena target vehicle for Gemini 6 was launched into orbit. However, 6 1/2 minutes after launch, when the Agena's engine was to be fired to insert it into orbit, all telemetry contact with the spacecraft was lost. Radar at Patrick AFB later reported finding 5 pieces of debris in orbit where the spacecraft was supposed to be. The Gemini 6 launch, scheduled for 101 minutes (1 hr. 41 min.) later was cancelled.
    And in 1973, Explorer 50 was launched. It was sent into a high, eccentric orbit and designed to study cosmic rays, energetic solar particles, plasma, and electric and magnetic fields. It sent back data throughout the 70's, 80's and 90's before reductions in telemetry coverage caused NASA to terminate Explorer 50 as an independent mission in October 2001. The last useful science data from Explorer 50 was acquired on October 7, 2006. (From the NASA web site's historical calendar page)

First flight of the P-51, in 1940, three years later they replaced the Allison engine with the Merlin resulting in a truly incredible, and pretty, airplane. The NAVION (North American Aviation) general aviation plane used the same wing. The P-51 was redesignated the F-51 by SecDef "I can't figure out the Navy designation system" MacNamara. The recon version of the P-51 was originally the F-5.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

First flight of the P-51, in 1940, three years later they replaced the Allison engine with the Merlin resulting in a truly incredible, and pretty, airplane. The NAVION (North American Aviation) general aviation plane used the same wing. The P-51 was redesignated the F-51 by SecDef "I can't figure out the Navy designation system" MacNamara. The recon version of the P-51 was originally the F-5.
    And when they gave the "D" model that bubble canopy allowing the pilot a 360-degree view, they truly had an "air superiority" fighter. I read somewhere that when Hermann Goering saw P-51s in the skies over Berlin, he knew the war was lost for Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    And when they gave the "D" model that bubble canopy allowing the pilot a 360-degree view, they truly had an "air superiority" fighter. I read somewhere that when Hermann Goering saw P-51s in the skies over Berlin, he knew the war was lost for Germany.
    The D started a general trend in US fighters that permitted hugely enhanced situational awareness through better visibility, provided a big advantage over adversary aircraft up inot the 80s, when their designs started to change.

Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    The D started a general trend in US fighters that permitted hugely enhanced situational awareness through better visibility, provided a big advantage over adversary aircraft up into the 80s, when their designs started to change.
    You're right about that! All one has to do is look at such aircraft as the F-86 Sabre; the F-15 Eagle; or the F-16, for examples of that trend. All the planes I named share a "teardrop" - type canopy that gives each pilot excellent visibility in all directions, making it easier for them to spot enemy aircraft coming from any direction.

Super Moderator Venerated Elder campy's Avatar

The US Navy has named a commanding officer for its new stealth destroyer, the USS Zumwalt. His name: Captain James Kirk.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar

You're kidding!......................really? I'll bet ol' Elmo is somewhere in the great beyond laughing himself up a storm over that one .
    "Say the Word"