General Discussion 8 - Page 43
Global Justice Alliance

Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 445

Thread: General Discussion 8

  1. #421
    Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The suburbs of Go City
    Posts
    10,249
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    One of those funny things about being stuck at the house and the internet: One tugs at a thread and follows it to odd end points.

    While looking for information on a completely unrelated topic I discovered that after being renamed O'Hare Airport, the first landing on the new runway was not planned, In 1952 the Blue Angels were transiting between air shows with a pair of dissimilar aircraft, F7U-1 Cutlasses (the only season they flew with team), one of the F7Us had a flameout (they were twin engine) and diverted to then NAS Glenview, since this resulted in a fouled deck at Glenview, another runway of sufficient length needed to be found for the remaining F7U.
    LT Whitey Fleichner, the pilot, was diverted to O'Hare. Upon arrival he was told ignore the peach baskets that had covered the runway, to prevent landings, and to proceed with an emergency recovery. Pilot and plane landed successfully, the fate of the peach baskets was not mentioned.
    By the way, the airport's original name was Orchard Field, which explains why O'Hare's 3-letter FAA identifier is ORD - even today.

  2. #422
    Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Tick Capitol Of The Known Universe
    Posts
    4,025
    If you are enjoying the internet, use a phone or watch television, you might, this Sunday, hoist a glass to Telstar, which was launched 51 years ago this July 10th. It's the satellite that raised the curtain on the satellite communications revolution.

    It's still up there, by the way, though it is no longer functional.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

  3. #423
    Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The suburbs of Go City
    Posts
    10,249
    I'm doing a test post here. I just tried to post on the forum a few minutes ago, and my space bar was acting up. It wouldn't let me put spaces between the words in my post's text, and every time I hit the space bar the whole screen would scroll up, showing me previous posts.
    I rebooted my computer, and it seems to be working OK now (as you can plainly see from my successful post here).
    I have no idea what caused that.
    My apologies for this interruption. I now return you to our regularly scheduled thread....

  4. #424
    Registered User Senior Member Sentinel103's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO USA
    Posts
    414
    Seems to be working. When my keyboard acts goofy I unplug it and then plug it back in and that always seems to work.

  5. #425
    Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The suburbs of Go City
    Posts
    10,249
    It just happened again, TONIGHT, when I tried to reply to Sentinel's post quoting him. Jeriddian, I think we need to have our new IT expert look into this matter. I shouldn't have to reboot every time I want to post something (nor should anyone else).

  6. #426
    Registered User Senior Member Sentinel103's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO USA
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    It just happened again, TONIGHT, when I tried to reply to Sentinel's post quoting him. Jeriddian, I think we need to have our new IT expert look into this matter. I shouldn't have to reboot every time I want to post something (nor should anyone else).
    Us pipefitters always cause trouble.

  7. #427
    Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The suburbs of Go City
    Posts
    10,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel103 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    It just happened again, TONIGHT, when I tried to reply to Sentinel's post quoting him. Jeriddian, I think we need to have our new IT expert look into this matter. I shouldn't have to reboot every time I want to post something (nor should anyone else).
    Us pipefitters always cause trouble.
    My father was a plumber (pipefitter). He was also a very outspoken critic of "office politics" in the Boy Scout council he served in from 1961 until his death in 1989. Someone in that organization even called him "that troublemaker who's out to spoil our fun" right to my face!
    So you're in good company, Sentinel.
    BTW: I started having that space-bar problem again just now as I was typing the previous sentence. The problem stopped after I resorted to typing words together, then going back and placing the cursor between two words before hitting the bar.
    Methinks we have a gremlin or two in our software, lads....
    ( -And no, I don't mean the notchback compact car from American Motors, either!)

  8. #428
    Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lancaster, Texas
    Posts
    8,193
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel103 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    It just happened again, TONIGHT, when I tried to reply to Sentinel's post quoting him. Jeriddian, I think we need to have our new IT expert look into this matter. I shouldn't have to reboot every time I want to post something (nor should anyone else).
    Us pipefitters always cause trouble.
    My father was a plumber (pipefitter). He was also a very outspoken critic of "office politics" in the Boy Scout council he served in from 1961 until his death in 1989. Someone in that organization even called him "that troublemaker who's out to spoil our fun" right to my face!
    So you're in good company, Sentinel.
    BTW: I started having that space-bar problem again just now as I was typing the previous sentence. The problem stopped after I resorted to typing words together, then going back and placing the cursor between two words before hitting the bar.
    Methinks we have a gremlin or two in our software, lads....
    ( -And no, I don't mean the notchback compact car from American Motors, either!)
    Hey, TWD. Is anyone else having this problem that TWD has? I'm not having any problems with the forum like what he describes. Is anyone else having this problem? If so, let me know. If no one else is having this problem, TWD, then it is more likely there is something within your own computer is causing the problem.
    "Say the Word"

  9. #429
    Registered User Senior Member Sentinel103's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO USA
    Posts
    414
    When asked the difference between a pipefitter and a plumber one of my old journeymen answered, "About 35 grand."

  10. #430
    Registered User Senior Member Sentinel103's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO USA
    Posts
    414
    Hey Jerr, when I have that problem I figure it's in my keyboard and I unplug it, wait for a couple of minutes and plug it back in. Seems to work for me.

Similar Threads

  1. General Discussion 4
    By jeriddian in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 500
    Last Post: 08-16-2008, 03:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •