What are you listening to? Track 5 - Page 14
Global Justice Alliance

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: What are you listening to? Track 5

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Well, actually, Tarkus wasn't written by Rick Wakeman. That album was recorded by Emerson, Lake and Palmer back in 1971. The music is by Keith Emerson, and the lyrics were written by Greg Lake.
    Rick Wakeman wrote & recorded such albums as The Six Wives Of Henry VIII, Journey To The Centre Of The Earth, The Myths And Legends Of King Arthur & His Knights Of The Round Table, and No Earthly Connection - to name just a few. He's recorded over 90 albums of original music - most of it on the piano or organ.
    Last edited by TransWarpDrive; 10-13-2019 at 07:38 PM.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Oh, Crap! That's right. My bad. I often get Yes and ELP mixed up like that. I don't know why I can't keep them straight, probably because they're both great English Keyboardists playing avant garde rock of that era. Emerson and Wakeman that is....
    "Say the Word"

I've been listening more to the local classical station WRR, which is one of the biggest and oldest classical music stations in the nation and located right here in Dallas. I'm just so tired of SiriusXM always cutting out all the time.
    "Say the Word"

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    In the iPod: Symphony No. 1 in D by Gustav Mahler, with Pierre Boulez conducting the Chicago Symphony Orchestra in a 1998 recording on Deutsche Grammophon.

It's been awhile for this thread, hasn't it campy? I've been listening more and more to the local classical Music Station here in the DFW area, Classical 101.1, which I believe is the oldest, or at least one of the oldest, classical music FM stations on the country. Recently I heard Rachmaninoff's Variations on a Theme by Paganini, with Yuja Wang as the pianist, accompanied by the Mahler Chamber Orchestra with Claudio Abbato as the conductor. I always have fun with this piece as I like to count the variations as it goes along to make sure I end up with the right count, especially when you get the iconic eigtheenth variation. I think I'm going to cancel my Sirius XM now.
    Last edited by jeriddian; 03-29-2020 at 10:52 AM.
    "Say the Word"

Been listening to soundtracks when I write: Peter Gunn by Henry Mancini, The Avengers by Laurie Johnson.

I just finished listening to a program of a marathon session on SiriusXM with their major host Preston Trombley, whose guest was Jo Ann Falleta, conductor of the Buffalo Symphony Orchestra, and as it is the 250th anniversary year of Beethoven's birth, they had a session of going through all nine symphonies one right after the other. I listened to the whole thing and it was indeed sublime. The second symphony was played by Daniel Baroboam leading the East-West Divan orchestra, The "Eroica", the third by Jo Ann Falleta and the Buffalo Symphony Orchestra, the great Fifth by Carlos Klyber leading the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, the Sixth, the "pastoral" by George Szell leading the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, The Seventh by Gustavo Dudamel leading the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela, and the Magnificent Ninth, the "Choral", performed by Yannick Nézet-Séguin leading the Philadelphia Orchestra. It was..... ......what can I say?... ......just heaven.....
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Tonight I listened to Ringo Starr's cover of "You're Sixteen" on my computer. Then I listened to a Barry Manilow ballad from back in 1981: "Twenty Four Hours A Day." It's one of Barry's lesser-known songs - one that never became a hit. Most artists have quite a few of those on their albums, along with the more popular tunes.

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Beethoven's 9th symphony; premiered on this date in 1824. Nikolaus Harnoncourt leads the Chamber Orchestra of Europe.

Listening to 60s movies soundtracks while writing.