How About That Weather, Huh? - 2014 Edition - Page 17
Global Justice Alliance

Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: How About That Weather, Huh? - 2014 Edition

Registered User Honored Elder Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    DC is too gosh-darn cold for my liking. Blacksburg and Virginia Tech were cold, but at least I could go to class, and leave from class, when it was still sunny. This whole before-dawn-for-work business is unfun. :/
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    DC is too gosh-darn cold for my liking. Blacksburg and Virginia Tech were cold, but at least I could go to class, and leave from class, when it was still sunny. This whole before-dawn-for-work business is unfun. :/
    Welcome to the real world, 'chutes! Many's the time I had to get up before dawn, in order to get to work on time. It was even worse when I took the train to work in downtown Go City. In winter, I regularly boarded the train in the pre-dawn darkness as part of my morning commute. Yes, it's most definitely unfun.

Right now here in Go City, it's 11 degrees F under clear skies. It's supposed to go down to -2 overnight. Glad my new car has heated front seats, just like the '05 Passat had.....

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    Like the saying goes: It's douchier in the Distrikt.

I'm assuming you are now among the ranks of the employed.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Well, that was lovely: the power went out last night during the big wind storm, around 9 PM. Sat and waited for a couple of hours, with the house retaining heat remarkably well. About the time I'd started all the faucets dripping and made preparations to bolter to a hotel outside the area, a power company line crew went by. So instead of leaving, I got out my winter camping gear and holed up in the living room. Power came back on around 4 AM, though the internet and cable stayed dead until this afternoon. All in all, pretty typical for Valentine's Day, leave it to Hallmark to synthesize a holiday around somebody being stoned and beheaded (whomever thought that one up must have been on dates like most of mine).
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    Well, that was lovely: the power went out last night during the big wind storm, around 9 PM. Sat and waited for a couple of hours, with the house retaining heat remarkably well. About the time I'd started all the faucets dripping and made preparations to bolter to a hotel outside the area, a power company line crew went by. So instead of leaving, I got out my winter camping gear and holed up in the living room. Power came back on around 4 AM, though the internet and cable stayed dead until this afternoon. All in all, pretty typical for Valentine's Day, leave it to Hallmark to synthesize a holiday around somebody being stoned and beheaded (whomever thought that one up must have been on dates like most of mine).
    The establishment of Valentine's Day predates Hallmark's founding - by at least 1000 years! The earliest written Valentines appeared in the 1400's. Americans probably began exchanging hand-made Valentines in the early 1700's. Esther A. Howland, known as the "Mother of the Valentine," began selling the first mass-produced Valentines in the 1840's. And one legend about St. Valentine's Day states it was named after a Christian martyr named Valentine, who before he was executed for his faith, was allowed to write farewell notes to his friends and loved ones. Those affectionate letters, it is said, formed the basis for the Valentine cards we exchange today.
    A young lady I worked with not too long ago thought Valentine's Day was named after the St. Valentine's Day Massacre in Chicago on Feb. 14, 1929, when seven men, who worked for the Irish gangster George "Bugs" Moran, were shot to death by several men dressed as police officers. The shooting took place in a garage on the city's North Side, and although it was never proven, it is believed that the killers were hired by Moran's chief rival, Al Capone.
    I did my best to tell her the "holiday's" real origin, but I'm not sure I succeeded.

Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    The establishment of Valentine's Day predates Hallmark's founding - by at least 1000 years! The earliest written Valentines appeared in the 1400's. Americans probably began exchanging hand-made Valentines in the early 1700's. Esther A. Howland, known as the "Mother of the Valentine," began selling the first mass-produced Valentines in the 1840's. And one legend about St. Valentine's Day states it was named after a Christian martyr named Valentine, who before he was executed for his faith, was allowed to write farewell notes to his friends and loved ones. Those affectionate letters, it is said, formed the basis for the Valentine cards we exchange today.
    A young lady I worked with not too long ago thought Valentine's Day was named after the St. Valentine's Day Massacre in Chicago on Feb. 14, 1929, when seven men, who worked for the Irish gangster George "Bugs" Moran, were shot to death by several men dressed as police officers. The shooting took place in a garage on the city's North Side, and although it was never proven, it is believed that the killers were hired by Moran's chief rival, Al Capone.
    I did my best to tell her the "holiday's" real origin, but I'm not sure I succeeded.
    I like the massacre story even better, good reflection of the day.

Y'know, somehow I get this feeling that you're a little cynical about romance.
    Just a hunch, you understand; nothing I can put my finger on....

The results of experience, other's mileage may vary.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    The results of experience, other's mileage may vary.
    It reminds me of Wilson's corollary to Murphy's law, which said, "Murphy was an optimist"...............
    "Say the Word"

It's 15, here, this morning. Got an email last night informing me that it was 66 in Central Texas.