How Was Your Day? The Not-so-Sweet 17th Edition - Page 2
Global Justice Alliance

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How Was Your Day? The Not-so-Sweet 17th Edition

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Our daughter went back to work this week, so we babysat our granddaughter today. We'll now be taking care of her every Friday until summer vacation.

Three words: buy noisy toys.......
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Our daughter went back to work this week, so we babysat our granddaughter today. We'll now be taking care of her every Friday until summer vacation.

Three words: buy noisy toys.......
    My parents used to joke about that back when my sister's kids were little!

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    We went out for dinner and a symphony concert last night.

I was supposed to visit with friends today, but our host unexpectedly got sent to the hospital by his doctor yesterday. So I schlepped some stuff over to my storage cubicle, did some light shopping, and washed the car. And since Mom's visiting with a friend of hers, my brother and I are on our own for dinner since she had a late lunch. (That's OK, though - he'll whip up a homemade pizza. And his pizzas are really good!)

Registered User Exalted Member kyojikasshu's Avatar
    I spent much of this weekend at the second annual Midwest Media Expo downtown at the RenCen. Unlike the last few Youmacons and last year's MMX, I opted not to stay at the hotel and instead commuted to the con, as the schedule was fairly light, with not much going on before noon each day. It kind of reminds me of how Youmacon was back when it first started, as far as the crowds and available events go.

Anyway, here's my gallery of cosplayers and the occasional panelists: http://s234.photobucket.com/user/kyo...?sort=2&page=1

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Cool photos there, Kyoji. Looks like you had a lot of fun. As for me, it's the usual work.........
    "Say the Word"

Yesterday, I took my car to the dealer for some minor service work (covered by warranty, of course). Then I drove down to WeatherTech's factory store to pick up the cargo liner I'd ordered for the trunk. I went to see Cinderella at the cinema last night; and today I did a quick load of laundry (shirts & slacks for work), then just did some work on my computer the rest of the day.
    Oh, and I found out about my friend in the hospital - he's still in intensive care and he's on dialysis, but he's awake & able to take phone calls (he has his cell phone with him, I've been told). I tried to call him this afternoon, but he didn't answer and he doesn't have voice mail set up on his celly, so I'll have to try back later.
    Last edited by TransWarpDrive; 01-11-2016 at 04:36 AM.

Finished doing CME last week, so I'm back to work starting work again tomorrow. I did all my laundry and cleaned up around the apartment and took some stuff out to storage. Sorry about your friend, TWD. What happened to him?
    "Say the Word"

Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Finished doing CME last week, so I'm back to work starting work again tomorrow. I did all my laundry and cleaned up around the apartment and took some stuff out to storage. Sorry about your friend, TWD. What happened to him?
    He went into the hospital Saturday the fourth, suffering from heart and kidney problems. He was unconscious for several days in addition to being on dialysis, but he's awake and alert now. In fact, I got off the phone with him not even an hour ago, and he sounds a lot like his old self again - just a little tired. He said he's dropped a couple hundred pounds just from the dialysis - it seems he was suffering from massive fluid retention. He mentioned being a bit cautious about his fluid intake since then, which I can understand. He said he hopes to be out of the hospital within a week or two; and he also hopes to lose some more weight in order to prevent something like this from happening again (he weighed over 400 pounds at one point).
    I was concerned because he's one of my closest friends - I've known him since September 1982; and he and the other members of our SF/literary club are like extended family to me. He's also the guy who runs the Dealer's Room at Windycon, and for a while there I was really afraid something would happen to him, leaving me to run that department by myself (being his second-in-command). Fortunately, he sounds a lot better, and seems determined to get well and get on with things.
    So here's hoping for the best....

Sounds like bad heart failure that became uncompensated and then crashed the kidneys with them. I've taken care of many a patient just like that, so I know exactly what happened. To go on dialysis, something else had to happen to cause his kidneys to crash though, like sepsis or acute MI, or something like that. I doubt he lost 200 pounds of actual fluid, but I have seen as much as 40 to 50 kg of fluid taken off over time. I've done it myself as a matter of fact to one or two patients. It usually takes about a couple of weeks to do that though. You have to take it off slowly. Sounds like he has a weight problem in general as well which complicates his heart failure and chronic renal failure. His unconscious state might have been induced with a sleep inducing agent, such as propofol, if the patient was on the ventilator, which it sounds like your friend was. Ah, well, he's better, and that's the important thing.
    "Say the Word"