How Was Your Day? The Not-so-Sweet 17th Edition - Page 40
Global Justice Alliance

Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: How Was Your Day? The Not-so-Sweet 17th Edition

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Today we got our "cat room" finished (pretty much). It's our windowless, formerly uninsulated storage room in the condo that is now insulated and climate controlled, and I moved the two cat litter boxes in there so they're not cluttering up the guest bath any more.

Now we can rip out the blah fiberglass shower in our master bath and get our plumber son-in-law to make a nice spa shower for us.

Registered User Senior Member Sentinel103's Avatar
    Good choice Campy, being a pipefitter/plumber I can testify that as you get older you don't want to have a tube unless it's to soak in. We have redone one of our baths with a walk in tub/ whirlpool.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    I went back to work today after going to the doctor's yesterday for an ultrasound/biopsy to make sure I don't have prostate cancer, which is what killed my father 28 years ago. And after having gone through that ordeal (both the pre-exam "purging" and the exam itself), I can honestly say I wouldn't wish the experience on my worst enemy.

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    I just put away the delivery of 6 of the 24 bottles of Sonoma County wine we bought during our San Francisco trip last month.

There's still capacity for about 5 more cases in campy condo's wine cellar, so we're planning on exploring the nearby Rhode Island winery offerings soon.

I'm a Scotch man, Glen Rothes, Glenfarclass.......ect

This morning I got a phone call from the doctor who performed my biopsy/exam. He said that of the 12 biopsy samples taken, three of them showed microscopic samples of prostate cancer.
    God help me.
    To say I'm scared is an understatement. This is what killed my dad 28 years ago. Although I will admit Dad's case was different. They didn't find his cancer until well after it had spread from his prostate into his bladder, causing him urinary problems. They thought they'd licked his problem by surgically removing Dad's prostate and part of his bladder in the fall of '87, but such was not the case. He cracked a couple of ribs while doing some plumbing work in the summer of '88, but those took forever to heal. An exam in December of that year showed that Dad's cancer had metastasized - spread from his prostate into his bones. Six months later, in early June of '89, he died from the disease.
    Now I know my case is different from Dad's. They only found microscopic spots in me. That means early treatment improves my chances of beating this and surviving. Plus, they've made tremendous strides in treating prostate cancer in the almost 3 decades since Dad's passing. New protocols & treatments hold the potential of making me cancer-free when they're done, helping me avoid my father's fate.
    Nonetheless, I'm still worried.
    Not only about the treatments themselves, but the potential cost. How expensive is cancer treatment, anyway? I have health insurance through the state of Illinois' Medicaid program, but will that cover everything? Or will my family be bankrupted by the costs of getting me well again? Mom's retired, and on a fixed income. I'd hate to see her drain all her savings & investments just to pay my medical bills.
    This also affects my job sitch. Will I be too sick to work as a result of any radiation or chemotherapy I may have to undergo? How will I pay my monthly expenses in that case? (We're talking car loan; car insurance; storage cubicle rent; those sort of things)
    I thought being unemployed for so long was stressful - well, my stress levels just got a whole lot worse.
    Pray for me, guys. I need all the help I can get.

A guy at work had his prostrate removed about 3 years ago. Now he had good insurance, but Medicaid should be sufficient I would guess. Anyway he was back to work in a month and he was 68 when he had it done. One thing good is you might have caught it early enough.

SO good luck and I hope you make it TWD.

Thanks, Sentinel. I hope you're right that I caught it early enough. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to beat the cancer - even if it means surgery to remove the prostate. I'm too old to father any children, anyway. I can live without that gland if I have to.
    Again, thanks for the kind words. They mean a lot right now.

That's what he did, there's another way, but taking it out usually works. Jerr could tell you more about it than I can, but get in to the doc fast and don't put it off and don't screw around. He did, but he still survived and he's almost 72 now. I have mine checked every year.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Remember, TWD, Prostate cancer is usually quite indolent, meaning that it is usually not aggressive and usually quite slow growing. The majority of men who actually have metastatic cancer can live up to fifteen years with it. Granted, a minority of these cancers are aggressive, and that will be determined by your oncologist in terms of treatment. The majority of the time though, chemotherapy is usually reserved for the more advanced cases, and as yours is caught very early this is not likely to be required. As long as it is limited to the prostate, which it appears to be as you reported it, it can be treated completely by surgical removal (TURP). Other options may include microwave therapy or radiation pellet implantation, both of which work well. These are well established treatments, not experimental at all, therefore it should be no problem being covered by Medicare/Medicaid, although you will be "nickeled and dimed" to death with the minor costs associated with all this. It should not impair your ability to work at all with such an early stage cancer. The majority of the bill should be covered by those two government entities. You will need to work closely with your oncologist and urologist in this.
    "Say the Word"