How Was Your Day? The Not-so-Sweet 17th Edition - Page 50
Global Justice Alliance

Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4048495051 LastLast

Thread: How Was Your Day? The Not-so-Sweet 17th Edition

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    I just spent my third day in a row, lying in bed & recovering from a bout with the flu I came down with last week. I went to work last Thursday, but on Friday I was coughing so bad & I felt so lousy that I called in sick. I went to an immediate-care facility later that morning, and the doc examined me & took a swab test to see if it was indeed the flu (it was). She also prescribed some meds for me to take, which I filled on the way home. After 3 days just laying there doing nothing, I'm feeling much better. No body aches to speak of; and I only have a mild cough that's still bothering me. I'm thinking quite seriously about going back to work tomorrow, since temp workers such as myself don't get sick pay (I do have health insurance, thanks to my employer but that's about it). I think I'll be OK, as long as I drink plenty of fluids & don't cough on anyone (I make it a point to cough into my raised arm instead of my hand, like all the medical experts tell us to).

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Yeah, the flu has been really bad around here too. I've been handing out lots of antibiotics, and cough syrup, much more than I usually do. The antibiotics aren't for the flu itself, it's to prevent any superinfection by a bacteria coming on the heels of the flu itself.
    "Say the Word"

Cleaned some of the crap pushed into the driveway by the county snowplow. What made this such is an adventure, is the fact my snowthrower is 46 years old and seems to be showing its age. One must admit your machine is old, when it creates a tourist attraction in the neighborhood when in use. Fixing it is a nonstop affair, with about six hours of repair time for every hour spent using it. First it didn't want to start, which is probably because it was 0 C degrees outside. Also the spark plug was coated with oil glop (probably a bad ring which I can't fix). When it did start, this produced a huge toxic green cloud of smoke. So it cleans good for awhile but I notice the auger pulley needs yet more adjustment, the snow won't shoot too far. The chute clogged up bad once and the impeller froze up instantly, needing a splash of hot water to get it loose. Upon restarting the thing backfired so bad a fire ball shot out of the muffler (probably a preignition which I am too dumb to fix as well). I got cleaned up what I wanted so I really can't complain.

I spent my day prepping new file folders for the auditors (part of my job at this place), and filing completed folders away in the upstairs file room when I had nothing more to do at my desk.
    On the way to work this morning, i stopped at a McDonald's near my office to buy breakfast. They loused up my order for the second time this week. I ordered a sausage biscuit with egg, and two hash browns. I got everything I ordered, except the sausage biscuit had cheese on it - I didn't order cheese! On Monday they gave me a Sausage McMuffin with egg and cheese, when I clearly asked for a sausage biscuit with egg. (Again, no cheese.) Either the order taker doesn't speak English as a first language, or their intercom system is so lousy the drive-thru staff has trouble hearing the customers, and makes a guess at what they ordered.
    Whatever the reason for the screw-ups, I think I'll avoid that McDonald's from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Whatever the reason for the screw-ups, I think I'll avoid that McDonald's from now on.
    To be honest, I avoid McDonald's all the time. I haven't eaten there for thirty years plus now. I avoid fast food as regular practice too, although I admit on rare occasions of getting a What-A-Burger, but it's definitely not something I make a habit of doing.

My new partner is now here working. It's going pretty smoothly, although I am back in the hospital service again.
    "Say the Word"

Today I processed 12 new file folders, then I boxed up a series of folders in the upstairs file room to make way for the latest series of files. I'm all caught up now, so I don't have to worry about that stuff while I prep for my prostate cancer treatment on Friday (the prep involves a liquid diet all day Thursday, as well as drinking 10 oz. of a laxative to purge my system). I'm dreading the "purge" more than I am the actual procedure; at least I'll be under anesthetic for that.
    I'll just be glad when this whole thing is over and done.....

Well, Iíve finally undergone my cancer treatment.
    We arrived at the clinic at 9 AM yesterday; and the operation got underway just after ten (which is when it was scheduled). The procedure itself only took 20 minutes, they tell me, and I was back in the recovery area by 11. I wasnít discharged until about 12:45, though; they wanted to give me ample time to wake up from the anesthesia before sending me home. Due to the nature of the surgery, and where they had to enter to perform it, I was rather sore in my ďnether regionsĒ afterward Ė they instructed me to take extra-strength Tylenol as needed, and to put an ice pack on the sore spot for 20 minutes at a time, every two hours that first day (which I did).
    Iím still a bit sore today. Also, it burns whenever I have to take a leak; the docs told me this is normal, and should go away over the next few weeks.
    Iím on some medications Ė an antibiotic called Cipro; I have to take it through tomorrow (4 doses over 3 days). This, I think, is due to the fact that I had whatís called a ďheart murmurĒ when I was a kid. Then thereís an anti-inflammatory called Medrol; this is to reduce any inflammation in the prostate as a result of the surgery. I have to take it with food to prevent gastrointestinal distress, so I take the pill right after I eat. Iím supposed to take it 3 times daily for 2 days (yesterday & today); twice daily for five days; then once daily for five more.
    And I have Flomax to help me urinate. They prescribed this due to the fact that many prostate surgery patients have experienced urinary problems after their procedures; Iím supposed to take one pill a day, a half-hour or so after I eat.
    And Iím under some physical restrictions as well: Iím to avoid straining or lifting anything more than 10-15 pounds, and bicycle riding, for two weeks.
    Iím also supposed to stay three feet away from any pregnant women for the next six months, and Iím not supposed to let any small children sit on my lap for more than five minutes at a time. These last two are due to the nature of the radiation from the implants inside me Ė apparently, it can harm unborn and very young children.
    Iím glad the procedureís finally done; Iíve been worrying about it for the last seven months - ever since I was first diagnosed. Since we caught the cancer in a v-e-r-y early stage of development, my doctor informs me I stand a 99% chance of being cured after this treatment.
    I have to have a CAT scan in March; then a PSA blood test in June Ė the PSA is a way to detect prostate cancer by certain chemicals in the bloodstream. And then, of course, regular follow-up visits to check on my progress & to make sure the cancerís really gone. Iíll have to monitor this for the rest of my life, but itís worth it if it means I get to live longer.
    So there you have it Ė Iím done with the treatment; and now itís only a matter of time to see how well it worked.

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Best of luck with your recovery, TWD!

(So you're literally radioactive now? Have you thought about biting any teenagers to see if they develop super powers? )
    Last edited by campy; 02-19-2018 at 07:47 PM.

Glad to see you're doing well, TWD. The Cipro is prophylaxis from any infection that might get introduced into the prostate to your bloodstream by the procedure. Quinolones, the class of drug to which Cipro belongs, are very good at diffusing through tissue that is not vascular, such the prostate, which makes it a good drug for this purpose. The heart murmur thing suggests a possibility of heart valve damage (It suggests this only. It is likely you do not have any such damage), which makes the heart valve susceptible to infection, and thus the cipro serves a prophylactic purpose for that as well. The medrol dose pak you are taking is a steroid "pulse" over six days time to counter any resultant swelling and inflammation of the prostate, an expected reaction of the prostate to having the radioactive seeds injected into it (Which is what they did. Literally, they insert a big needle through the rectum, thus the need for cleansing your gut beforehand, pierce the lining of the rectum just next to the prostate, about 6-7 cm from the anus and only a few millimeters through the rectal wall to the prostate itself and then on the tip of the needle is the radioactive seed which is deposited into the tissue of the prostate itself and the needle then withdrawn. They perform this anywhere from four to nine time to get enough radioactive seeds into the prostate to do the job). The radioactive seeds they use emit alpha and beta radiation, very effective, but also very short range so there is hardly any effect outside the prostate itself. Nonetheless, you do have to stay away from the pregnant ladies and small children because the risk of inducing genetic damage to their DNA, though slight, is still there. Flomax is used to shrink the prostate. That and the medrol are important as your prostate could swell large enough to obstruct urinary flow, which could be disastrous.

Unfortunately, as you lack to biting pincers of a spider, you will not be able to infect any teenagers with superpowers. Your nether regions might glow in the dark though..............
    "Say the Word"

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    My check engine light in the Volvo came on yesterday, so I took it in for service this morning. They eventually diagnosed a pinhole in the fuel filler neck and replaced it under warranty.

I was there all morning and had plenty of time to check out all the new cars they had on display. None were nearly as nice as mine!