What Are You Watching? Episode 10 - Page 18
Global Justice Alliance

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Watching? Episode 10

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    There were a lot of those types of character actors that filled those roles. Very often you never know their names, but you recognized them as soon as you saw them. They were usually more steadily and better employed than the so called leading stars of the day.

Still watching KP on Disney +, got up to the Christmas episode.
    Of course, back then television was regarded with scorn by performers in the film industry; it was considered a "step down" to go from making movies to starring in TV shows. It wasn't until the mid-60's, IIRC, that the growing popularity of the medium and the exponential growth in the number of households with at least one TV set made a lot of performers reconsider their position. When said performers began appearing on broadcast shows, television lost its stigma for good. If anything, actors began to see the value in appearing on TV - it allowed them to promote any upcoming theatrical film projects they were planning.
    Absolutely right, TWD. It makes me wonder how the pandemic is going to change that dynamic again! With the threat of infection savagely decreasing the movie going experience, the advent of cheaper large format TV screens, and cheaper streaming service, it makes me wonder if going to a movie becomes a much more minor source of income for the entertainment industry. The other thought I had is could the drive-in movie come back. There's your social isolation kept intact.

Still binging on KP. In season four now.
    Well, there is one drive-in theater in my area which will open for the summer, practicing certain safeguards like making patrons stay in their cars (no kids' playgrounds, I guess), and either sanitizing the little speakers you hook in your car window or just broadcasting the film's soundtrack on a certain frequency your car radio can pick up. Folks will take advantage of this sitch, because many of them will want to get out of the house after all this time. Plus, there's the nostalgic angle to consider: I remember going to drive-in movies with my family many times when I was a kid (in fact, my first viewing of Disney's The Love Bug was at a drive-in theater that Dad drove us to in his 1963 VW Beetle! ). Or how many teen-agers in the 50's, 60's or 70's had memorable dates, or pulled off all sorts of crazy hi-jinks, at their local drive-in? There are still a few drive-in cinemas still operating in the USA; let's not count them out, even with the coronavirus pandemic.
    And I wouldn't be so quick to forecast the death of indoor cinemas just yet, either. Remember, they predicted the same thing when TV first came out - that no one would go to the movies anymore because they could watch films for free in the comfort of their homes. And yet the cinema survived. Once we get this pandemic under control, whether through developing a vaccine or whatever, you'll see attendance at movies, concerts and other public events rise again. We humans are social animals by nature; most of us don't fancy being alone for too long. And there's nothing quite like the shared experience of viewing a movie on the big screen with a lot of other people.

I know they're opening up a new drive in in St. Augustine. You're right, we humans are social creatures--take that away from us and things can get pretty dire. I think the cinema going experience will change somewhat--smaller audiences and theaters perhaps, but we'll get back to our live concerts and sports events and tractor pulls and all that other stuff.

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Currently watching "Naked Genius" on my iPhone.

Watching Perry Mason.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    You make good points, TWD. We'll see how it goes. The new episodes of She-Ra came out. Season Five. It looks like the series finale to me though. It was okay......Meh.....
    Last edited by jeriddian; 05-28-2020 at 04:09 AM.
    "Say the Word"

Now watching "Motor Ed," which is good timing because I needed to reacquaint myself with Felix's speech patterns.

I just watched a Discovery Channel special on the Crew Dragon launch from Cape Canaveral scheduled for tomorrow. I hope they manage to launch; the current weather forecast for Florida gives a 60% chance of thunderstorms in their area.

I'm on Disney+ watching Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century (1999), starring Kirsten "Bonnie Rockwaller" Storms as Zenon and Raven-Symoné (aka "Monique") as Nebula.
    Last edited by campy; 06-30-2020 at 11:03 PM.

I'm watching "The Fourth In America" on CNN. And while performers like Kenny Loggins, The O'Jays, Burt Bachrach and others sing, they're showing fireworks in Washington, DC, New York City, Jacksonville, FL, Houston, TX, and even Springfield, IL! Great music, and spectacular pyrotechnics!
    Last edited by TransWarpDrive; 07-05-2020 at 02:53 AM.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    I just binged this new series on Netflix called Warrior Nun. Dang, it's pretty good. but I hate those cliffhangers. Now I gotta wait two years for the next season?
    "Say the Word"