What Are You Watching? Episode 10 - Page 21
Global Justice Alliance

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: What Are You Watching? Episode 10

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Mrs. campy & I are continuing to watch season 2 of the classic 60s TV series The Fugitive. Last night Telly Savalas made his 2nd guest appearance on the show, and tried to help Dr. Richard Kimble evade the electric chair by falsely confessing to the murder of Helen Kimble (Telly's character had only a few months to live anyway). The night before Jack Klugman portrayed a struggling trucking company owner, and in tonight's episode Star Trek's James Doohan almost suppressed his Scottish accent well enough to play an Oklahoma sheriff's deputy.
    Actually, James Doohan was Canadian. He did not have a natural Scottish accent. He affected that for the series. You can actually hear in one episode where he briefly broke accent for one line, and uttered the line in his normal accent. They didn't take it out. But I can't remember the episode.

I watched the new Season Three of Carmen Sandiego, and it was great, but it was only five episodes!
    Last edited by jeriddian; 10-14-2020 at 11:21 PM.
    "Say the Word"

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    I knew I should have checked that before I posted.

I've been watching the first series of "Death in Paradise" on dvd. I'm enjoying renewing acquaintances with DI Richard Poole and Detective Sergeant Camille Boudray after their long absences. Nothing better than solving murders on a Caribbean Island. Maybe I ought to have Tara and Hope take a trip down to St. Marie???

Quote Originally Posted by David Falkayn View Post
    I've been watching the first series of "Death in Paradise" on dvd. I'm enjoying renewing acquaintances with DI Richard Poole and Detective Sergeant Camille Boudray after their long absences. Nothing better than solving murders on a Caribbean Island. Maybe I ought to have Tara and Hope take a trip down to St. Marie???
    If it leads to skimpy bikinis and tropical beverages, then yes. (If the beach is clothing optional, bring Jessica.)

I just watched "Middle of a Heat Wave," the 2nd episode from season 3 of The Fugitive. James Doohan made another appearance on the series, this time playing a doctor. I was disappointed that the writers did not have him exclaim "I'm a doctor, not an engineer!" (Funnily enough, a character did say "I'm a waitress, not a reporter" in this one.)

In a miraculous turn of symmetry, and of which many similarities can be found to my story 'Queen's Gambit Accepted', I just finished watching a new Netflix series called 'The Queen's Gambit'. It is fantastic! And I very highly recommend it. It is a seven episode miniseries. What's amazing to me is the stories are very similar in following the rise and success of a female chess player to the top of the pack. Both stories have the same conflict in that sense. And just like I did, they used actual games played by grandmasters. It was neat as I could recognize the named openings by the first five of six moves, like the Sicilian, the French, Scandinavian, Njmzo-Indian, King's Indian, and of course the Queen's Gambit Declined. The Rossolini and Albin variations were there too, and the Fischer-Sozin variation. It was just SO neat to see them show all of that. Wow! It really is a great story. Of course, I'm a bit biased, being a chess enthusiast, but still, you guys should watch the very enjoyable series.
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    In a miraculous turn of symmetry, and of which many similarities can be found to my story 'Queen's Gambit Accepted', I just finished watching a new Netflix series called 'The Queen's Gambit'. It is fantastic! And I very highly recommend it. It is a seven episode miniseries. What's amazing to me is the stories are very similar in following the rise and success of a female chess player to the top of the pack. Both stories have the same conflict in that sense. And just like I did, they used actual games played by grandmasters. It was neat as I could recognize the named openings by the first five of six moves, like the Sicilian, the French, Scandinavian, Njmzo-Indian, King's Indian, and of course the Queen's Gambit Declined. The Rossolini and Albin variations were there too, and the Fischer-Sozin variation. It was just SO neat to see them show all of that. Wow! It really is a great story. Of course, I'm a bit biased, being a chess enthusiast, but still, you guys should watch the very enjoyable series.
    I really need to sit down & study that chess book I bought awhile back...I'd very much like to improve my game. I just have to make the time to do it.

I watched The Queen's Gambit again. I just can't get enough of that show, absolutely love it. This time I noticed an actual mistake. In her final game with Borgov at the end, the announcers were commenting on how Borgov reponded to the Queen's Gambit by declining it and playing the Albin variation (1. d4, d5, 2. c4, e5). But in fact if you look at the board, Borgov actually played a Queen's Gambit accepted. (1. d4, d5, 2. c4, PxP). A chess player on line figured out the historical game on which the game in the series was based (with the chess engines these days, you can do this.), which turned out to be a game played at the Biel festival in 1993 between Ivanchuk and Wolfe (both are grandmasters). That game ended in a draw. The game in the show plays the same exact game up to the point of the adjournment. When play resumed, Ivanchuk's sealed move would have been g4, which led to the draw, but had he played Ne6, as was played in the show, it would lead to a win. The game was an exact repeat of the Ivanchuk/Wolfe game up to that point, and the moves afterward were fiction. A later analysis of the game showed that Ne6 was the better move and Ivanchuk simply didn't see it at the time. For the purposes of the show, Elizabeth played Ne6 and went on to win. If anyone is interested, I can put up a copy of the moves.
    "Say the Word"

Mrs. campy and I watched the first episode of season 4 of The Crown on Netflix. In this one Margaret Thatcher (Gillian Anderson) was elected Prime Minister, the IRA assassinated the royal family's kinsman Lord Mountbatten, and Prince Charles (Josh O'Connor) met Lady Diana Spencer (Emma Corrin).