What Are You Watching? Episode 10 - Page 7
Global Justice Alliance

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Watching? Episode 10

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    I'm catching up on the episodes of Supergirl I missed last month.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    I have to catch up all the CW DC shows for this week as well.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Lunchmeat, any chance you could find out the title of each publication? Also, the author's name? You can PM me with this info if you like.
    (PATY)
    His Name is Ted Hooten, I couldn't find his Mosquito book on line, it was part of the old Detail & Scale series, aimed at modelers, small (usually under 50 page) publications on glossy paper.

He wrote on the Spitfire, also, it appears to still be available:
    Publisher: Arco; First edition (1968)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 0668021004
    ISBN-13: 978-0668021005

Back on topic:

I'm watching a Nature documentary on hummingbirds ("Hi, I'm Lunchmeat and I'm a PBS junky"),
    when I've spent long stretches at home, I've set up feeders for them, they are a blast to watch and desert species are especially colorful. One of the great pleasures of rural life is watching the creatures that dwell there (no, not just cousin Bubba "hold my beer and watch this") as well as the landscape, generally.
    It's been quite a ride, watching PBS evolve from an adjunct of community college AV support, to the well produced programming of today, by way of Dr. Who and The Civil War.
    Last edited by lunchmeat; 03-04-2017 at 11:31 PM.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Thanks for the info, lunchmeat! I'll look this stuff up when I get a chance. I'm also interested in the Spitfire, so I might try & find a copy of that book.

Back on-topic:
    I just watched two back-to-back episodes of the Adam West Batman series on MeTV. John Astin guest-starred as the Riddler (he's not as good as Frank Gorshin in that role, though). Before that, horror host Svengoolie presented the original B&W movie The Werewolf Of London.

I watched The Martian this afternoon (from a library DVD).

Man, I have to sit down & watch that some time. Everyone I know who's seen it, likes it.
    I'd also like to read the novel the film's based on.

Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Man, I have to sit down & watch that some time. Everyone I know who's seen it, likes it.
    I'd also like to read the novel the film's based on.
    The novel's better because you get a much deeper look into his thought process while solving problem after problem than the film can show.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    I've watched The Hunt for Red October several times now as it frequently is showing on the IFC channel. I never get tired of that film. In fact I reread the novel over the weekend. It's interesting how much of it they incorporated into the film, including actual dialogue from the book, but also how very different the plot deviated form the original as well.
    "Say the Word"

Oh, yes; they cut whole sub-plots out of the story when they adapted Red October to film. For example, the President of the U.S. himself appears in the briefing room scene talking to Jack Ryan in the book, whereas it's just Jeffrey Pelt (the POTUS's advisor) who does so in the movie. They also eliminated the sections involving CARDINAL, the CIA's mole in Moscow who informs Greer & Co. about Ramius' plans to defect with the sub.

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    I've never understood why they cut out the parts with the British and Canadian Navies that were featured in the book, those folks were the world's premier Anti Submarine Warfare (ASW) operators in those years.
    I always get a kick out of the Bear F/TU-142 ASW planes, used see them a lot up in the GIUK (Greenland-Iceland-United Kingdom) Gap and NW Pacific.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”