What Are You Eating? - Page 37
Global Justice Alliance

Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Eating?

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Mrs. campy grilled swordfish and corn for dinner.

Fixed some low-sodium dirty rice using ground turkey and turkey smoked sausage, low sodium black beans and red beans, brown rice, and no salt chicken broth. Came out good--just a little kick, but not too spicy.

We had takeout from our favorite Italian restaurant for our anniversary dinner tonight. Both Mrs. campy and I chose veal dishes from their menu.

Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    I found my father's recipe for Picadillo:

1/4 taza de aceite
    1 cebolla
    1 aji grange
    1 diente de ajo
    1/2 lb. de carne de res molida
    1/2 lb de carne puerco molida
    1/4 lb. de jamón molido
    3/4 taza de alcaparrado
    1 cdta. de sal
    1/8 cdta. de pimienta
    1/2 taza salsa de tomate
    1/4 taza vino seco

Caliente el aceite y sofria en él la cebolla picadita, el ajo machacado así como el ají tambien picadito. Agregue las carnes y el jamón y cocínelo todo durante unos minutos revolviendo para que no se pegue. Añadele los demás ingredientes y déjalo cocinar a fuego mediano durantes unos veinte minutos. Da 6 rationes.

Translation:

1/4 cup olive oil
    1 onion
    1 large bell pepper
    1 garlic clove
    1/2 lb ground beef
    1/2 lb ground pork
    1/2 lb. ground ham
    3/4 cup Alcaparrado (Goya product which is a mixture of Spanish Olives with capers and pimento)
    1 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. chili pepper powder
    1/2 cup tomato sauce
    1/4 cup dry wine

Heat the oil and saute the chopped onion, crushed garlic as well as the chili pepper on it. Add the meats and ham and cook it all for a few minutes, stirring so it doesn't stick. Add the other ingredients and let it cook over medium heat for about twenty minutes. Give 6 rations.

My dad altered this, using only ground beef, no pork or ham. I thought he didn't use tomato sauce, but remembering back, I can recall he did use it, but not every time. One thing though, there was no sazon spice used, I think because it's not really a Cuban thing. It may be more Puerto Rican possibly. I think that's where the chili powder was used instead, or maybe because this recipe is really old. I don't think sazon spice existed back then since it's really a combination of other spices. The word for caper in Spanish is alcapara, and the alcaparrado is a mixture you can buy pretty easily with these other ingredients in it, primarily manzanilla olives, capers, and pimento. Goya is the company best known for making it.

Anyway, I'm going to make this and see how it turns out. I thought I would post it in case you might want to try this variation, campy.
    I made this tonight and Mrs. campy & I both agree it is better than the recipe I used last spring. I used the mix of 3 meats instead of just beef, and I also put in a small handful of raisins even though you left them out. Most recipes I've looked at use raisins.

I'm sure I will use this version of Picadillo from now on. (I might also try it with the sazon just to see what that does to the color and texture.)

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    We had pork chops, baked potatoes, and mixed veggies for our dinner tonight. The pork chops were so big, we couldn't finish them. So we're saving the leftover portions for sandwiches tomorrow.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Maragrita chicken at Chili's, with beans and rice.
    "Say the Word"

Nana went apple picking with the grandkids and brought back fresh cider donuts. I ate two of them.

We had spaghetti, sauce, and chicken nuggets for our dinner tonight. Since we had leftover spaghetti, I'll probably eat some for lunch tomorrow.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Kao Soi and Gyoza at my favorite Thai Restaurant.
    "Say the Word"

We had breaded chicken, peas, and boiled potatoes for our dinner tonight.