What Are You Eating? - Page 28
Global Justice Alliance

Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Eating?

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Caesar salad, and rice pilaf, made at home.
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    I microwaved some frozen meatballs & a small baked potato for my dinner tonight.

Breakfast Sausage..... I felt like meat tonight. and of course Caesar Salad.
    "Say the Word"

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Mrs. campy made a pizza with pepperoni, mushrooms and anchovies for our dinner.

Registered User Honored Elder Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    At long last, I have tired of chicken nuggets alternating with grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner while on semi-lockdown, and I have endeavored to make my own broccoli yaki. This is an absolutely momentous event, because usually I can eat chicken nuggets until the sun burns out. But I'm feeling a little stir-crazy because of the semi-enforced nature of the current situation, and I was spurred by the two-week closure of my favorite sushi restaurant just as I was craving some of their broccoli yaki.

After looking up a variety of recipes to make the sauce and stocking up on two heads of broccoli:

On night one, I made the sauce from this source (https://www.justonecookbook.com/yakisoba-sauce-recipe/), put some olive oil in my roommate's stir-fry skillet, cut up and added broccoli florets (at refrigerator temperature), and tossed everything together until heated through. It was quite good.

On night two, I used this recipe: https://bonesuckin.com/BSS-Recipes/b...occoli-recipe/, substituting their Bone-Suckin' Yaki Sauce for the homemade sauce above but keeping their additions of sesame seeds, rice vinegar, and sesame oil.

I blanched (boiled) the florets for 3-4 minutes, strained the water, and mixed in the sauce. This was the most "meh" of the experiments, perhaps because I only used blanching for heat.

On night three (tonight), I used this recipe: https://www.newideafood.com.au/capsi...i-udon-noodles, using only olive oil and broccoli from the "Ingredients" section but making the sauce and cooking just as directed. (Blanch-boiling for 2-3 minutes, followed by stir-fry in the sauce).

This was the most tasty of the iterations! I think the mirin really made a difference.

After night one, I found I needed a side for the broccoli. (I hadn't thought that far ahead when I was making it! ) For night two and three, I dug out a lime-cilantro rice that mimics Chipotle's that I've made before. (https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14...cilantro-rice/) (I cut the ingredients down by 4 to make a manageable serving for one: 1/4 cup of rice instead of 1 cup, 1/2 cup of water instead of two, 1 tablespoon of cilantro flakes instead of 1/2 cup (!!))

The two were quite good together, and once I was done with the broccoli, I could use the rice to sop up the extra sauce.
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Oh, my.....WELCOME BACK, CHUTES! Good to see you again! Sounds like you have been very inventive with your cooking!

For my part, I have a lot of frozen vegetables, pot pies (yeah, TWD and I are similar in our tastes there. It's not a bad meal, really, expecially for $2.50.), frozen french fries, lots of salad (I love my La Madeleine Caesar which I can make myself now), some sausage which I can fry up with my breakfast (I can do eggs and toast, with bacon or sausage), although I don't like to do that too often. There is a fair amount of artery clogging going on thee you know. Blocks of cheese for nibbling. Mac and Cheese. Several packets of individual servings of rice dishes (Rice pilaf, cajun rice, etc.). I'm in pretty good shape for about two weeks right now, except for the need for romaine lettuce is more like weekly. I have a Wal-Mart right behind my house, so it's convenient. I try to wait for off times to shop when there aren't many people about. But pretty soon, I will have things delivered.
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    We had fried potatoes & onions with hot dogs for our dinner tonight.

I cooked breakfast. Eggs, sunny side up, bacon, and toast.
    "Say the Word"

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    I made ground chicken stroganoff for dinner.

Mozarella Sticks with maranara sauce.
    "Say the Word"