Kim Possible Live action? - Page 10
Global Justice Alliance

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Kim Possible Live action?

Registered User Exalted Member kyojikasshu's Avatar
    Just watched it, and... it was okay. Felt like a rather decompressed episode, though. It did feel like it was moving slow at points.

The actors and characterizations were pretty decent for the most part, but this version of Mr. Barkin just feels off to me.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    I haven't seen it yet, but I will catch it on streaming somewhere. I've been really busy with the new job and studying for boards so I've kind of retreated from normal life for a while. Good to see you again, AinoMinako. I love it when we can get some of the original crowd back into the forum, even if temporarily. That's the positive thing about being able to bring back KP in any form like this. We can hope for more.
    "Say the Word"

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyojikasshu View Post
    Just watched it, and... it was okay. Felt like a rather decompressed episode, though. It did feel like it was moving slow at points.
    I have to agree with this. From about 0:50 minutes to about 1:05 it dragged a lot.

The actors and characterizations were pretty decent for the most part, but this version of Mr. Barkin just feels off to me.
    Again, I agree. I liked all the performances except Barkin. I would offer just one quibble about Shego: rarely did she seem to be feeling 100% on the cat suit. The attitude that cartoon Shego always projected wasn't there.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    I don't know; she seemed particularly snarky to me - especially when she was commenting on Drakken's plans. She showed him no mercy there, just like in the animated series.

Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    I don't know; she seemed particularly snarky to me - especially when she was commenting on Drakken's plans. She showed him no mercy there, just like in the animated series.
    Oh, her dialog was well written and her delivery of the lines was fine. I just meant she didn't physically inhabit the role the way she should have. It just didn't seem as if she was comfortable standing and moving in the bodysuit.
    Last edited by campy; 02-17-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Registered User Senior Member MrDrP's Avatar
    My son, who is 12 and is very much a fan of the animated series, responded with a "meh" when the movie over. My wife and I were more charitable, perhaps because we prepared ourselves for a dumpster fire, which is fortunately not what we got. Instead, we were treated to a decent live-action made-for-TV movie. Ultimately, we would have preferred a big budget, Marvel-quality theater release, but that's not what was in the cards.

Some things were on. Kim grew on us as the movie wore on and Ron did too. We could see them as teenaged best friends and, shipper that I am, I could see them getting together.

I thought the school was spot on, right down to the gag-message sign out front, and I'm glad the exterior of the Possibles' house looked the one we know from the series.

Kim's quick change was a nice gag.

Soccer seemed to be a reasonable 2019 change from cheerleading, though it was cheerleading that leavened with martial arts gave Kim her skills.

I loved Patton Oswalt. It was great to have him back as Dementor, but what was with his outfit? That didn't work.

Drakken and Shego were a bit off. My son lost know time in noticing the absence of a pony tail on Dr. D and the lack of color, while understandable from a production viewpoint, was disappointing. Shego was pretty well cast and played, but something was missing. Somebody elsewhere noted she never uses nicknames for Kim and the banter was not really there, either.

The plot? Okay, but not really original, more of a Life Lesson kind of thing.

Athena? Is she the replacement for Monique as the Character With No Last Name? I agree with some of the criticisms offered about Kim's response. She'd kick biscuit, not break down and cry.

Rufus, well, the mole rate really was CGI. A different and more plausible origin story but that just rendered some of the Naked Mole Rap lyrics obsolete.

My biggest complaint. Barkin. Where was Patrick Warburton who would have been perfect? Instead of a booming ex-military man, we have a wheedling cat lover? Really? REALLY? Uh, no.

The movie was better than expected but to me it was more of an homage than a reboot.

If they do make another film, I just pray the Drakken we see at the end of this one is not reprised.

A review of the movie, with lots of clips from both movie and series.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDrP View Post
    My son, who is 12 and is very much a fan of the animated series, responded with a "meh" when the movie over. My wife and I were more charitable, perhaps because we prepared ourselves for a dumpster fire, which is fortunately not what we got. Instead, we were treated to a decent live-action made-for-TV movie. Ultimately, we would have preferred a big budget, Marvel-quality theater release, but that's not what was in the cards.

Some things were on. Kim grew on us as the movie wore on and Ron did too. We could see them as teenaged best friends and, shipper that I am, I could see them getting together.

I thought the school was spot on, right down to the gag-message sign out front, and I'm glad the exterior of the Possibles' house looked the one we know from the series.

Kim's quick change was a nice gag.

Soccer seemed to be a reasonable 2019 change from cheerleading, though it was cheerleading that leavened with martial arts gave Kim her skills.

I loved Patton Oswalt. It was great to have him back as Dementor, but what was with his outfit? That didn't work.

Drakken and Shego were a bit off. My son lost know time in noticing the absence of a pony tail on Dr. D and the lack of color, while understandable from a production viewpoint, was disappointing. Shego was pretty well cast and played, but something was missing. Somebody elsewhere noted she never uses nicknames for Kim and the banter was not really there, either.

The plot? Okay, but not really original, more of a Life Lesson kind of thing.

Athena? Is she the replacement for Monique as the Character With No Last Name? I agree with some of the criticisms offered about Kim's response. She'd kick biscuit, not break down and cry.

Rufus, well, the mole rate really was CGI. A different and more plausible origin story but that just rendered some of the Naked Mole Rap lyrics obsolete.

My biggest complaint. Barkin. Where was Patrick Warburton who would have been perfect? Instead of a booming ex-military man, we have a wheedling cat lover? Really? REALLY? Uh, no.

The movie was better than expected but to me it was more of an homage than a reboot.

If they do make another film, I just pray the Drakken we see at the end of this one is not reprised.
    I disagree with you on the following points:

Dementor's outfit. IMHO, dressing Mr. Oswalt up in the exact same outfit as in the cartoon show would have looked ridiculous in live-action. When translating from one medium to another, some changes become necessary, i.e. superheroes' and villains' costumes (watch any Avengers movie, or the 1989 Batman film, and you'll see what I mean). I thought it was a nice touch to give Dementor the WWII-style German helmet, seeing as how his character hails from Bavaria.

Drakken's hair & makeup. The absence of a ponytail on Drakken was something I never noticed, to be honest with you. It really didn't matter, since I was focusing on how the actor played the part (which I thought he did a good job on). His makeup, well, that's another thing that wouldn't have translated very well to live-action. His blue skin would have made him look like an overgrown Smurf, or worse. I feel that the blue streaks on his face, combined with the eye makeup & hairstyling, made this live-action Drakken look suitably menacing to me.

Kim's insecurity. Would Kim have really "kicked biscuit" on a person she considered a friend just because said friend stole the spotlight from her? I thought her reaction to Athena's sudden popularity was very human and very real - it showed her vulnerability. Everyone, at some time in their life, gets shown up by someone else like that. It's only natural to feel insecure; to have one's confidence shaken that way. I honestly think she cried when discussing it with Nana because to express anger would really have been a sign of jealousy. And jealousy that leads to anger, resulting in one going out and "kicking some biscuit" like you said, would have been the first steps down a dark path - one that Kim needs to avoid at all costs, if she doesn't want to end up like Drakken, Shego, Dementor, et al.

However:
    I agree with you on the design of the high school & the Possible house - especially the gag-message sign out front. Even the sign's shape was taken from the cartoon show. Nice touch by the production designer/set decorator!

I also agree with you 100% about the actor portraying Mr. Barkin. His high-pitched, nasal voice made him seem like a whiny fussbudget instead of the take-charge, bossy ex-soldier, control freak that we knew and loved from the series. Clearly, if they decide to do a sequel, they have to cast Patrick Warburton as Barkin to replace this guy.

And who knows? If they decide to do a sequel, maybe they'll pick another villain from the series to use instead. There are plenty of others from the series I'd like to see in live-action. Motor Ed, for instance. Or maybe DNAmy. (How about a live-action Falsetto Jones? )

Ringtone from the Movie

Okay, I got tired of waiting for somebody to extract the movie's Kimmunicator sound for ringtone use, so I did it myself. My first attempt can be found in .wav and .mp3 formats here.

I can convert to other formats upon request.
    Last edited by campy; 03-02-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Nice job, campy. Thanks for providing that. But I think I like the original better, so I'm keeping it.
    "Say the Word"