Kim Possible Live action? - Page 3
Global Justice Alliance

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kim Possible Live action?

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Jeriddian, regarding your comments on May 25 about the actors cast so far - especially the kids selected to play Kim and Ron - let me make a few observations:

(Sean Giambrone as Ron Stoppable) Uh....I have a hard time seeing this kid being Ron, in the way he looks anyway, but I guess we'll have to see how he acts it.
    Good point! As you see him in that picture, he doesn't look like Ron - but with the right hair coloring, and removing his glasses, he could very well turn out to be an excellent live-action version of our favorite klutzy sidekick.

(Sadie Stanley as Kim Possible) Uh........No. This girl just looks too frail for the part to me. I don't see her doing the athletic stuff at all.
    According to Judy Taylor, senior vice president, Casting and Talent Relations, Disney Channel (as quoted on the Deadline Hollywood website): “Sadie delivers Kim’s confidence, smarts, and agility; most importantly, she’s an everyday girl with an extraordinary spirit.” One key word there is agility. Perhaps she's good at gymnastics, and demonstrated her abilities for Bob and Mark at her audition. Don't forget that those two guys created the series, and thus have a pretty good idea of what they want for a live-action Kim. So they must have seen something in her audition that told them that this was the girl to play the role.
    So I, for one, am willing to give Bob and Mark the benefit of the doubt and reserve my final judgment until I've seen the finished movie.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Well, I hope so, TWD. I've never seen her act in anything, so of course I don't how she'll convey Kim's personality on screen , and I will reserve judgement on that. But she just looks so physically frail to me. She's not just medium sized like the cartoon image of Kim. Kim is average height for a girl, but she still conveys a certain strength in her body. Sadie just looks, well, small to me. But we'll see. I had strong doubts about Gal Gadot doing Wonder Woman until I saw her in SvB. Her performance convinced me then she could play the part. Perhaps it will be the same here.
    "Say the Word"

Remember all the hue and cry over Tim Burton casting Michael Keaton to play Batman in the 1989 movie? A lot of Bat-fans didn't think that "Mr. Mom" could do a good job portraying Gotham's Dark Knight. Even Bob Kane, Batman's creator, had his doubts until he saw Mr. Keaton in his 1988 drama, Clean And Sober (Keaton played a recovering drug addict in that film). After that, Mr. Kane was satisfied that Keaton could do drama just as well as he could do comedy. Keaton also played a rather nasty villain in the 1990 drama, Pacific Heights, co-starring Melanie Griffith and Matthew Modine - and let's not forget his recent appearance in Spider-Man: Homecoming as the Vulture - another excellent portrayal of a bad guy!

Yes, but that's Michael Keaton, a very experienced A-List actor. I've seen what the kids do on some of the Disney Shows, and while they are learning and can do a good job, their inexperience is fairly obvious. Applying it to this role, well, let's just say I have my doubts. But I will not prejudge the performance beforehand.
    "Say the Word"

Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Yes, but that's Michael Keaton, a very experienced A-List actor. I've seen what the kids do on some of the Disney Shows, and while they are learning and can do a good job, their inexperience is fairly obvious. Applying it to this role, well, let's just say I have my doubts. But I will not prejudge the performance beforehand.
    OK, but my point was that practically nobody thought Mr. Keaton could do drama - they all had him pegged as a comedian, and nothing else. He proved a lot of folks wrong in all of the films I mentioned in my last post.

Registered User Regular Member sharper1988's Avatar
    Come to think of it, this is the only place where I haven't posted the news from SDCC yesterday

https://twitter.com/DisneyChannelPR/...71212308361216
    My avatar above was created and designed by Slyrr.
    A true K/R, Canderemy, and Phinbella fan!

Tonight I just saw the pic of Sadie in her costume for the first time. And I, for one, like it. Sure it's not exactly like Kim's outfit looked in the animated series, but one has to expect a certain amount of change when adapting a franchised character or characters from one medium to another. And besides, who knows? Perhaps they tried outfitting Sadie in an exact replica of the cartoon mission suit, only to find that it doesn't work in real life. Baggy cargo pants may not be the easiest things to move freely in when you're doing action sequences and stunts. Things that look good in animation don't always translate well into live-action, and besides, fashion styles change over time. Remember how Mark & Bob said that one reason they redesigned Kim's mission suit in Season 4 was because the bare-midriff crop-top had gone out of style in real life? They wanted Kim to stay fresh & relevant in order to attract and hold viewers.
    I've seen a lot of negative reactions, both on the page sharper1988 linked us to and on others, to just this one picture. And that, IMHO, is ridiculous. I think folks are being a little too nit-picky & critical, especially right now before they've even seen the finished movie!
    It reminds me of all the complaints about Batman's costume in the 1989 movie starring Michael Keaton. Those fans failed to realize that if Mr. Keaton had been dressed in an exact replica of the Bat-suit as seen in the comics, he'd have looked silly on the big screen (and very reminiscent of Adam West in the cornball 60's TV series, something they wanted to avoid at all costs). Instead, the filmmakers opted for a more subtle look for Batman - one which made him appear more grim and dramatic than he would have, dressed in blue and gray right out of the comic books.
    So I'm keeping an open mind on Kim's look in the new film. It still resembles the original mission suit enough to pay homage to the animated series, yet with enough changes to move KP forward into the hearts & minds of a whole new generation of fans.
    Last edited by TransWarpDrive; 07-26-2018 at 05:03 AM.

I saw that picture too. She does look pretty good in it. I still think she looks too frail, but then live action is different.
    "Say the Word"

I usta be opposed to live action Kim ideas. But now I feel warm and gooshey inside thinking about seeing the movie.

Registered User Exalted Member kyojikasshu's Avatar
    NEWS FLASH - Christy Carlson Romano will have a role, and Patton Oswalt is back as Professor Dementor!
    https://d23.com/christy-carlson-roma...-kim-possible/