Global Justice Alliance

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: How Was Your Day? Edition 18

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyojikasshu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Okay, I'll bite. Uh.... what do you mean by a mud room, Campy?
    Don't you have mudrooms in your part of the country? Must be a regional thing. They're places where you can remove wet, snowy or muddy shoes, boots, coats etc. before going into the cleaner parts of the dwelling.
    Uh...guess so.........when you live in a desert (West Texas qualifies for that), mud is something we don't have to mess with hardly at all.
    I've heard the phrase before, but never really knew what it was. In the bi-level I grew up in, we had the landing at the ground-level point of entry, which based on campy's description basically served the same function.
    We have a bunch of coat hooks right inside the outside door on the east side of our house, which I guess could be considered a "mud room." Is "mud room" another name for a foyer (entry room into a house or office building)?

Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Okay, I'll bite. Uh.... what do you mean by a mud room, Campy?
    Don't you have mudrooms in your part of the country? Must be a regional thing. They're places where you can remove wet, snowy or muddy shoes, boots, coats etc. before going into the cleaner parts of the dwelling.

Here we call it the front shed. Others have a back shed.

I finally met my two grandnieces yesterday.
    My niece & her husband had flown in from California early this week to visit with family here in the Go City area. They're staying at a relative's house in Aurora, while taking in some of the museums & attractions hereabouts. Yesterday they visited Brookfield Zoo before coming out to our place for dinner. The girls are fraternal twins (not identical at all!), and they're 8 years old now. They're both very sweet girls - lively, energetic, and funny, and they're both very bright. Fiona recently got a cast removed from her right arm (she broke it falling off a jungle gym at a playground near their home), and I told her about my experiences with my broken elbow back in '07. We discussed various therapy techniques we'd both been using to regain flexibility in our arms; in short, we had something in common there. When their father grumbled about how going through security at the airports was taking some of the fun out of flying, I mentioned casually how glad I was that I could fly a plane - I could just rent one & fly it myself! Both girls were impressed at that, especially Abigail. It seems she's interested in flying, too. They both love to read; in fact, their parents mentioned how the girls like to occasionally sneak their books to bed & read a little more when they're supposed to be asleep! But that's okay with their parents; they could be doing a lot worse things than that behind their backs.
    All in all, it was a pleasant evening. I finally got to meet them & get to know them as real people, and not just names my mother mentions from the e-mails she gets from my niece.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Very Nice, TWD. Always good to be with family when you can.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Senior Member Sentinel103's Avatar
    For the last 6 weeks we've been doing a total renovation of the basement. I now (as of when we move in on Tuesday) will have my own office along with a nice bathroom. wife's office is enlarged, but now I HAVE something. Right now all the computers and guitars are in my son's old room, but that will soon change. All they have to do is paint the walls and put the caps on the AC and hook up the dryer vent and get the thing inspected tomorrow.

The grandnieces visited my house again tonight! This time, my sister and brother-in-law (who came in from Cleveland) accompanied them & their parents, and we all had carryout from our local Chinese restaurant for dinner. We sat around the dinner table and chatted while we ate. They had gone to Chicago's Field Museum of Natural History today; and tomorrow they're going back into the city to visit the Shedd Aquarium.

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    I called SiriusXM to cancel my satellite radio service this morning, but then I let the person talk me into 6 more months at half the price I'd been paying. Plus I get the Siriusly Sinatra channel again, which I listened to a lot when I first bought the Volvo and had my free trial, but wasn't in the package I ended up buying.

Wonder what they'll do in 5 months 29 days when I call again?
    Last edited by campy; 08-03-2019 at 03:02 PM.

I think about to do the same. I am so sick and tired of the signal going out so frequently due to all the dead spots in the DFW area. It's just ridiculous. I've called and complained about it, but they are ignorant of the problem and say my radio is defective, which I know it isn't because both of my trucks and my Sirius service on my TV have the same problem. They can't all be defective. They just won't do anything about it. I might try Pandora, but then there's a great classical FM station here in the DFW area already. I may just stay tuned to that.

On another note, my main computer just up and died on me about a week ago. Usually when this happens, I can diagnosed the problem and fix it.......not this time. I narrowed it down and ruled out the Mobo, Video card, RAM, and even power supply. That left only the CPU itself........I think. At this point, it was time for a complete rebuild, which I finally was able to get to do today. Right now I've put the computer back together again, reloaded my Windows, and am in the process of getting all the drivers put in place. Unfortunately, It's going to take me several weeks now to reinstall all my software. Thankfully, I had backed up the entire system only a couple of weeks before I moved, so I have all my data. But what a pain.......
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Exalted Member kyojikasshu's Avatar
    I took Wednesday through Friday off from work, having scheduled my time off for the rest of the year back in the spring (we have to make arrangements with our manager, because he oversees multiple sites, and has to arrange for floaters to cover where needed). On Wednesday, I went to the Henry Ford Museum with my sister, who also happened to be off, and we saw the Star Trek exhibit that's there this year (up until about Labor Day). We'll likely be back next year as well, since the exhibit will be featuring Marvel Super Heroes. We of course took in the rest of the museum while we were there.

The rest of my time off, I've mostly just been relaxing, enjoying the break from work. I just happen to be up late tonight.

My life is finally settling down now with the move pretty much finished. I just have to hang pictures, unpack boxes, and put things into place. I finally as able to resurrect my computer after a month of it suddenly dying on me ( That!.....was not cheap!). I've gotten back into doing more graphics art work. Work is steadily coming along. The practice is slowly developing. I can actually start to relax some without being so much under pressure.
    "Say the Word"