How Was Your Day? Edition 18 - Page 22
Global Justice Alliance

Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: How Was Your Day? Edition 18

Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Was supposed to be in the City By the Bay today, but we Facetimed with our littlest grandchild today. She called me "Grandpa [name]" for the first time!
    That's the coolest! My niece is on her way back to J'ville tonight. She's teaching fifth grade next year, but still doesn't know if it's going to be face-to-face or online only yet. I and most of the other teachers and college instructors in the state are in much the same situation. Waiting to see how things develop.

I had a great day right up until I walked out of the door of the house to meet my sister and her family for Mother's Day dinner. Just as I was locking the door, I got stung in the neck by a wasp and then fell down on the walkway, scraping my elbow. Tried to get up, slipped and fell down again, and finally made it on the third try. The scrape ended up looking worse than it was--bacrtaicin and a large bandage is taking care of that. As for the sting, I'm putting hydrocortizone on that. Can't take inflammatories because of the warfarin I take, so when things get painful or uncomfortable--it's Tylenol.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Hope you found and got rid of the wasp nest then, David.

Preparing for travel. I go back to work starting June 1. It's only for a week. but it's enough for me.
    "Say the Word"

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    I attended the annual meeting of our condo association via Zoom. It was boring.

Got 1500 words of my third chapter sketched out, from Tuesday morning to the end of the swim relay. Including what I think is a pretty funny Tara/Kevin/Barkin scene and the first actual Ron-ness of the story. Needs polishing of course, but I like what's there.

Got 1500 words of my third chapter sketched out, from Tuesday morning to the end of the swim relay. Including what I think is a pretty funny Tara/Kevin/Barkin scene and the first actual Ron-ness of the story. Needs polishing of course, but I like what's there.
    Barkin's always fun to throw into the mix. I'm almost completed with the next part of Double Entendre. Also had my appointment with the electrocardiologist. He confirmed the heart flutter and put me on a 24 hour heart monitor. Most likely I'm going to have to go in for an ablation.

Quote Originally Posted by David Falkayn View Post
    Barkin's always fun to throw into the mix. I'm almost completed with the next part of Double Entendre. Also had my appointment with the electrocardiologist. He confirmed the heart flutter and put me on a 24 hour heart monitor. Most likely I'm going to have to go in for an ablation.
    Good luck with that, DF.

I finished my chapter. Will probably post tomorrow after polishing it up some more. There's fun, competition, laughter and tears, and even a little bit of High School Evil. Not only from Bonnie. Also Ron makes an appearance.

I also put up more window screens in the condo and we put flower boxes on our deck rails. They look nice.

Computer disaster today. I posted at length about it on the fanfiction forum, but short form: Computer wouldn't boot up, all I can get is a blank screen, power going to fan and peripherals, probable failure of video card or motherboard, don't think it's hard drive--trying not to think it's hard drive as that's worst case and it means I lose about 44 pages of the last part of Double Entendre. Can't get it repaired right now either due to backlog caused by lockdown. I'll keep everyone updated, but right ​now it's not looking good.

I did some work organizing in the condo's wine cellar today. (I call it that because it's part of my cellar and I'm gradually walling it off with empty cases from the Italian fizzy water Mrs. campy and I buy at the warehouse club. Right now I have I think 12 boxes stacked up. I probably need 45 or 50 to do what I want.)

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David Falkayn View Post
    Computer disaster today. I posted at length about it on the fanfiction forum, but short form: Computer wouldn't boot up, all I can get is a blank screen, power going to fan and peripherals, probable failure of video card or motherboard, don't think it's hard drive--trying not to think it's hard drive as that's worst case and it means I lose about 44 pages of the last part of Double Entendre. Can't get it repaired right now either due to backlog caused by lockdown. I'll keep everyone updated, but right ​now it's not looking good.
    It's not the hard drive as your computer would have still gone through POST and then simply say it can't find the HD. When you get nothing at all but lights and fans, then it's almost always one of three things: Motherboard, RAM, or CPU. If it was GPU or video card, you would probably still see the hard drive light going off and on, indicating activity. But if there is absolutely nothing except just the fans spinning, it is almost always one of those three. Sometimes the RAM is dislodged and just needs to be reseated. Occasionally., the power supply can also be at fault. However, most of the time it is one of the three I mentioned. Of those, the most likely is a motherboard failure. After that, it would be RAM. CPU failure is rare, though possible. Geek Squad would sort it out by substituting known working parts until they replace the broken part, then the computer will suddenly fire up, thus diagnosing the problem. That's what I had to do when my Main Laptop crashed the same way a few months ago. In my case, I ended up replacing everything except the CPU. so it was a CPU failure. I didn't replace the CPU as it was far too expensve. A rebuild of the internal main parts was cheaper and updated the computer by about five years.
    "Say the Word"

I did some more work on my wine cellar today. I made a wall out of a pallet and a box that I had on hand. Here's what it looks like.

Attachment 617