How Was Your Day? Edition 18 - Page 31
Global Justice Alliance

Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: How Was Your Day? Edition 18

Just put in an order for a new computer through Amazon Prime--I couldn't believe the luck--they had a system close to what I was looking for as a replacement for my aging system and it's on sale. I'm expecting it Weds. next week. Then comes the fun of migrating everything over. Backing docs and everything I can to OneDrive so that should smooth the transition somewhat. Finished grading midterms for three of my classes and the fourth one gets theirs in a couple of weeks. Doctor's appointment tomorrow--just a standard check up this time, thankfully. Ablation surgery is scheduled for the end of the month unless something happens to change that. Web conference in half an hour--Woodrow Wilson and WW 1 today.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Hoo boy.
    Yesterday we had the heating & air conditioning folks over to replace both our furnace and our central A/C unit. That went smoothly, and they got the job done in one day.
    This morning, I got up and saw a Post-It note my brother had put on the bathroom mirror. It said: NO HOT WATER! It turns out our 9-year-old water heater chose last night to "give up the ghost," forcing my brother to take another day off work & summon a plumber. Said plumber arrived around noon and said, yes, the heater was shot and needed replacing. Fortunately, he had a new one in his truck and installed it for us. Mom was not happy about spending more money, but we had no other choice.
    And yes, the heater that died was indeed the one that gave out on us on New Year's Eve some years ago, because my brother discovered that the plumber who installed that one wrote the installation date on it: "1-1-11."
    This threw all our plans out the window, especially mine, as I was going to do my laundry today. I'll just have to do it tomorrow, after Mom gets her last load washed.
    This evening after dinner, I balanced and updated my checkbook, then paid a few bills.
    Still no luck finding a new job yet....

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    We signed closing papers to refinance our mortgage on the condo today. Our monthly payment goes up by $500, but we'll be finished in 15 years instead of the 26 we still had on the old loan.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Another day at work. This work is very easy though. Mostly it's just a mass of government paperwork.
    "Say the Word"

Yesterday, we had a heating serviceman out to replace the thermostat on our new heating/AC system. The one they originally installed was a rather complex, touch-screen model that had some automatic programing for operation - but no manual to tell us how to operate it! Mom was not pleased; she had a service guy come out last week to discuss the matter, and he agreed we could switch it with a simpler model. She went up to their office/storefront (conveniently located 1/2 mile east of where we live) and selected a new thermostat, and yesterday in the early afternoon, the tech came out & installed it. This one is much easier to operate, and even came with an instruction manual! Now Mom's happy, and we can look forward to being warm & cozy in the house all winter with our new furnace.

Going in for my ablation tomorrow. It looks like I'm the second procedure so I'll most likely be spending the night at the hospital and, if all goes well, be released by noon tomorrow. I'll let you know how things turn out and any thoughts and/or prayers are greatly appreciated!

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    We're with you, David!
    "Say the Word"

Hang in there, David! Best of luck on the procedure!

I'm back home now and it's good news bad news sort of thing. The good news is that the procedure seems to have cleared up my a-fib, but there are some other issues the doctor is going to continue monitoring. In all likelihood at some point down the line I'm going to have to get a pacemaker--but hopefully that won't be for a few more years yet. There were also some complications with the procedure. The first one was cleared up pretty quickly--I was oozing blood from one of the suture areas, but it stopped overnight. The big complication is that I'm having problems with my urinary system. I think there might be some scar tissue or something blocking it, that or it's an issue with an enlarged prostate, as the nurses tried to catheterize me four times but could do it--and yes, that was a very painful experience. My urologist, God bless his soul, came in at 3AM to put in a Foley catheter. Right now, that's working and I've got an appointment in a week to have it removed. Hopefully then, things can get back to normal. Until the end of next week though, I'm going to be taking it slow.

Registered User Senior Member Sentinel103's Avatar
    They have the kitchen counter top replaced now, it's the last job on the inside of the house. And they have the electric roughed in on the deck. All we are waiting for is to finish the inside and side the exterior. Then all the work on the house is DONE and maybe I can afford a new amplifier for my guitars.